Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 540 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
jamesgoodchild, I agree. I have had computers run for long periods of time without incident. 99% of the time, the problems occur after an update or new piece of software.

A PVR should run incident free for long periods of time without rebooting since, as you note, the software is stable and usage is limited.

Having said that, a firmware update is a significant change so a complete reboot is not unreasonable and probably desirable.

·
Registered
551 Posts
CompEng

I dont think your 630 has died. I think it is just needs a reboot. As posted here numourous times, the reboot will/should restore any problems after the upgrade. I think the analogy was to a windows machine, they often need a system restart after an upgrade.
Only speaking for myself with this black screen and no sound, I don't know if the analogy to the Windows computer is really applicable. For me, this happened three days after the upgrade. It seems like a bit of a coincidence that more than one person has this same problem. Particularly when the problem didn't occur prior to the upgrade.

What I'm curious to know is, how the people with this black screen/no picture thing got the upgrade. I forced it after seeing it in the target section. I wonder if others forced the upgrade and if this is something we have in common, relative to this issue I mean.

The Hans

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the comparison to a windows computer. The combinations and permutations of hardware and software is astronomical on a computure. In comparison, the PVR is a simple device with fixed hardware, controlled software and limited input from owners. A reboot once every couple of months I'm okay with but not to the frequency experienced here by many. I don't have to reboot my computer daily just to keep it operational. My point is that the PVR is a controlled environment. There shouldn't be the number of problems we've seen on this board and a reboot really isn't a solution.

Now having said that, the last few weeks before I got the 4.06 upgrade I had taken to rebooting as I walked out the door in the morning and even then I missed the occasional recording. I've stopped that since I received the upgrade on Monday and so far haven't missed a recording. There are still a few glitchs but this seems to be a better firmware version than .13. Lets hope SC can up the frequency of firmware patchs and solve some of these outstanding issues. Other vendors with similar technology seem to be able to do so.
I do not disagree- I was only reinforcing what had previously been stated here.

I 'forced' my download after i was targeted, and since I have had a stable (fingers crossed) machine. Over the past couple of days I have recorded on both tuners in HD simultaneously, while playing from the disk with no issues. It does seem more stable than before. I cannot speak to the 'black screen' issue, but could it be an hdmi handshake after the upgrade?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only speaking for myself with this black screen and no sound, I don't know if the analogy to the Windows computer is really applicable. For me, this happened three days after the upgrade. It seems like a bit of a coincidence that more than one person has this same problem. Particularly when the problem didn't occur prior to the upgrade.

What I'm curious to know is, how the people with this black screen/no picture thing got the upgrade. I forced it after seeing it in the target section. I wonder if others forced the upgrade and if this is something we have in common, relative to this issue I mean.

The Hans
I let the update happen naturally, during the night. The no pic and no audio happened two days later. I'm not sure about the windows analogy, but I did notice that in the morning of the update, the trip count was at 0, which indicates it may have done an automatic reboot. The previous day, the count was at 6. As far as other vendors keeping up with software paches, one has to understand that they use different technology for data processing and encryption. I'm thinking that Shaw has a stand alone system and their software engineers are alone on this one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I let the update happen naturally, during the night. The no pic and no audio happened two days later. I'm not sure about the windows analogy, but I did notice that in the morning of the update, the trip count was at 0, which indicates it may have done an automatic reboot. The previous day, the count was at 6.
I guess I'm finding it too much of a coincidence that the same odd thing happened to more than one 630 a day or so after the update when that particular thing had never happened prior to the update. But having said that, I have no idea what it means...other than I hope it doesn't happen again...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had the same black screen & no picture on both my 630s the morning after the firmware update (both were done on the same overnight). A front panel reset fixed each of them, and all has been fine since.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same black screen & no picture on both my 630s the morning after the firmware update (both were done on the same overnight). A front panel reset fixed each of them, and all has been fine since.
I have two 630's. The first one took the update a week ago, and hasn't seen a hickup since, but the second one had the problem. On another note, I currently have them side by side... has anyone noticed that the clocks don't sync? One will be ahead of the other by up to 15 seconds, then eventually they will reverse.????

·
Registered
551 Posts
I guess if it just happens the once, it's no biggie. But one of the other posters commented that it happened more than once. I couldn't find the post, but it was something like he/she had the black screen/no sound, fixed it, watched TV for a while, turned the 630 off, then it happened again when he/she turned on the 630 again.

Also -- and maybe someone more technical could comment -- does it actually make sense that it directly relates to the download of the firmware and the need of the internal workings to update when the problem occurs happens a few days later? I'm just crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen again...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know if this has been identified or confirmed by anyone else but I tried the options,4,3,1 just to check this out and when I exited out I no longer had any audio. I shut the box off and on to no avail. I had to hold the front power button in for 15-20sec than my audio came back to normal. Very annoying

·
Registered
142 Posts
With regard to the time remaining on the hard drive, a simple calculation will give you that. Since it holds about 45 hours of HD, that is 4.5 hours for every 10% left. My hard drive now is 79% full so there is about 20% free or 9 hours of HD recording room left. I think the ratio is 4 times for SD so that would be 36 hours. Since as SD Support mentioned, time left is only approximate and will vary with the programming, that rough calculation is good enough.

That this is the case is proven by the fact that 79% of 45 is 35.55 and I actually have 37 hours and 40 minutes of HD programming recorded.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know if this has been identified or confirmed by anyone else but I tried the options,4,3,1 just to check this out and when I exited out I no longer had any audio. I shut the box off and on to no avail. I had to hold the front power button in for 15-20sec than my audio came back to normal. Very annoying
See post one under "Tune in Satellite Signal". The simple solution is to change the channel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
New firmware, crashed while I was watching a recording of The Office. I was watching about 5 mins behind real-time. Had to reboot.

Crashed earlier in the day during playback of a recording, and crashed once while first accessing a recording from the PVR list.

I might have a lemon....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Watching CSI at 7 last night on CTV Ottawa and it started pixilating, so I switched over to CTV Toronto and the problem cleared up. At 8:30 while watching Hot in Cleveland on the same channel, our timer to record another show kicked in, the the pixilation started again. Not constant... just annoying.

Now it COULD have been weather related... or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since receiving the update, I have done my best to cause a reboot or freeze-up. So far I haven't been able to do it.

While watching I have constantly, played with the PVR options, scrolled through all the menu items, added new recording events, changed the priority of upcoming events, deleted events, in short do anything I can to overload the memory of the unit. None of these things has caused a problem.

There are tweaks and enhancements that need to be done yet, which others have pointed out, but my 630 appears to be very stable with this update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Earlier Post in the Owners forum

630 reboots if you channel up or down quickly
630 reboots randomly with out touching the remote
Rewind live tv doesn't work
One button record does not work
Programmed record does not work

Audio drops when switching from an HD to SD channel and from a SD to a HD channel using HDMI connection to the TV with latest Toshiba firmware installed.

My ellictical dish has a 4 line LNB and I am using the 4 to 8 multiplexer that I bought from SD.

I am pleased to advise that since the 4.06 firmware was down loaded I have experienced none of the problems listed above. I also appreciate that the the delay time when you channel up or down has been virtually eliminated.

Now all wee need is for Shaw to solve the pixilation issue and activate the front port so that we can add a larger hard drive and this unit will actually be what we were all expecting and promised.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
On another note, I currently have them side by side... has anyone noticed that the clocks don't sync? One will be ahead of the other by up to 15 seconds, then eventually they will reverse.????
Yes. When you have 5 on your desk, you also notice this :)

Basically, the Front Panel clock is only updated every 30 seconds.

The actual internal clock is always accurate based on the satellite time it gets from the current transponder it's tuned to. You'll notice sometimes that the REC light comes on at 8:59 for a 9:00 recording. It's not that it's starting early (unless you've set that), it's that it's actually 9:00 but the Front Panel hasn't updated yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
SD_630:

You say the time is accurate based on the current transponder clock. Is it possible that the (many) transponders have differing time settings? Or that the two satellites have different times (if the transponder times are set from a master satellite clock)?

I notice that the 630 often tunes a program and starts to record about a minute before the network starts the desired program, and about a minute is lost at the end of the scheduled recording. I don't use start early/end late settings.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Hi MSM,

Yes, that's absolutely possible. I believe they're all brought back into sync periodically.

Outside of that, keep in mind that not all networks start their programs exactly "on time" for a few different reasons. If you're noticing a pattern, use the Start Early/End Late padding to ensure you don't miss anything.

141 - 160 of 540 Posts