Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
CompEng

I dont think your 630 has died. I think it is just needs a reboot. As posted here numourous times, the reboot will/should restore any problems after the upgrade. I think the analogy was to a windows machine, they often need a system restart after an upgrade.
You're right, it was more of a coma that a power off reset corrected. But it did go pffft instead of recording the show it was supposed to. If it does this again, it's going back to Shaw for a replacement. If the new one does it, I'm replacing Shaw. Bell has working PVRs and so does Rogers. Aftermarket ones that actually accept inputs from things other than Sat also exist and work. No reason for this model not to. The S-video output has also been dropped from the 630, so if you wanted to offload to a DVD recorder, you're stuck with composite quality.

I also agree that its an excellent idea to reset/reboot any 'computer' device after an upgrade. I only wish I was notified it was coming and to do so. Or better yet schedule it and apply at my convenience as opposed to Shaw's. I'm guessing 80% of their customers don't read these forums.

As for not supporting external HDD's , its just ridiculous in 2011. But i guess it's ridiculous it only was released in 2010 also.

This isn't the thread for it, but the quality of the SD channels is pretty sad now too, much worse than when the company first launched. I'm guessing compression is to blame trying to squeeze more channels in the pipe. Maybe support can comment. But when I'm paying so much to get VHS quality images and only a handful of HD chanels, its time to consider options ... it was Star 'Choice' afterall.

I've been trialing Netflix ... and when I can pay for 1 yr of movies with one month of satellite ... I'm scratching my head why I have satellite now. On demand HD streaming is the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jamesgoodchild, I agree. I have had computers run for long periods of time without incident. 99% of the time, the problems occur after an update or new piece of software.

A PVR should run incident free for long periods of time without rebooting since, as you note, the software is stable and usage is limited.

Having said that, a firmware update is a significant change so a complete reboot is not unreasonable and probably desirable.
Completely agree as well. Industry computers run 24/7 for months with no reboots. And are usually rebooted everytime software is updated significantly, sometimes even for minor updates. It's painfully obvious that the Shaw PVRs have serious problems that they are working to address.

Hence notifying customers about when upgrades occur would be a good idea. Otherwise, it seems that the old receiver and an old DVD recorder are a more reliable time shift option. Just no HD. They will learn the hard way if the problem isn't fixed ... customers will leave. simple.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No video, no audio

Again tonight, turned the 630 on and no video and no audio. This is the fourth time..... Had to do another reset by holding power button down for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have only had one issue with guide no appearing (it was blacked out). That is all. Other than that, its awesome.:D

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Version 04.06

Have had the firmware update for over a week on both my 630's, and so far, not one issue. Appears SD finally got it right!! Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pixilization/fracturing

I have read several posts where the posters seem to be very pleased with the new firmware and are reporting 0 problems. The only problem I have had from the beginning is with the subject problem. I realize the new update was not suppose to fix it but what make me curious is that others don't appear to be having this problem. For example last night I was watching the Leaf hockey game with no problem until my recorder went on to record Hawaii 50 and then the problem started to the extent I felt like taking the receiver and throwing it. I tride changing to other cbc channels to no avail. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had the upgrade for a few days now.. and it has not fixed the call display.:mad:
Is the call display feature working for the rest of you? My log shows some calls but even those never seem to be displayed.
Any thoughts or ideas on a fix?

·
Registered
29 Posts
call display

I have found that it is the actual port that is causing the problem. With my first 630 it worked every time. the replacement that i got it never works, i can only get it to work when i hold the connector in the socket at the right angle. so it is obviously a quality control issue with Motorola and not a software problem. that is what i have found.

kevin

·
Registered
37 Posts
(Quote): I have read several posts where the posters seem to be very pleased with the new firmware and are reporting 0 problems. QUOTE]
There have been a few posts regarding the issue I'm having. Today is another day and another failure for my 630 to turn on. No video and no audio. I tried a hard reset by unplugging for 5 minutes. That solved the problem for now. I'll see what happens later.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Me too… I've had no audio/video when turning on the 630 twice now. Reset has fixed it both times.

I also lose signal sometimes when skip forwarding, just for a split second, but it happens very often. Checked my connections, all seem good.

I'm impressed with how fast the machine responds, especially when stopping recordings and I no longer have trouble with remote lags, even when two things are recording.

And I love the Closed Caption on/off quick key (help C). A great help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am pretty sure the problem of the black screen and no sound when switching on is an inherent one that goes back prior to the new code and was not addressed with the latest fix. A front panel reset usually fixes it for a while. Had the sane thing happen to our unit twice prior to the latest download. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next one. We have had no major problems since the download.
Lester

·
Registered
86 Posts
Upgrade

Well since the upgrade to 4.06 it is like SD sent me a brand new receiver!!! Wow what a difference in the operation;
- no lock ups
- no pixelation
- no false recording lights
- very fast remote response
- no delay when entering letters in the "Search" menu
- excellent response when recording and deleting programs
- did not lose any of my original recording schedule and every recording right on the money.
- no self imposed soft resets
- have not had to reset since download.

Hats off to those involved with the development of the new firmware!! I am glad that they waited to ensure that they got it right. To those that are still having some minor issues that is unfortunate. The one thing left that I would like to see fixed is the program data brought up to date. This would eliminate the need for the manual recordings which in my opinion are somewhat of a pain to set.

I am not sure but both my wife and I have felt that the PQ seems to be much better as well however I am not sure if this was part of the update?

Anyway a very happy customer at this time and the update in my case has certainly made a major difference in the operation of the 630.

Thanks again SD!!!;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey balvert Thanks for the help hope this will be the quick fix to my problem.

since friday it's getting worse and worse. the hour is completly off by 2hours+ the hour shows on the 630 only when it's off. when it's on i have nothing. before the update it was always on &it's not disable.

some channels that does work have no sound! when i want to go at a certain channel i have to go at a another one to get the one that i want to watch..
this past saturday couldn't watch hockey on 292cbc, i had to switch the cable in the back of the 630 to get it ! unreal!

and this morning i tried to watch motorweek at 288, no luck i had to flip the cable again to get this..+ 10 reset that doesn't do a thing.
no guide since friday. can't record while the program is airing too. i think it's related with the guide...

i really really can't wait only couple of hours before the cable guy comes in tomorrow. hope that all the good things about "that" update 4.06, will work the way it's supposed to or i'll throw that box in front of a cement truck to watch it smashed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am pretty sure the problem of the black screen and no sound when switching on is an inherent one that goes back prior to the new code and was not addressed with the latest fix. A front panel reset usually fixes it for a while. Had the sane thing happen to our unit twice prior to the latest download. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next one. We have had no major problems since the download.
Lester
Hmm, I wasn't aware of anyone having this problem prior to the upgrade, lots of other issues, but not this one. Interesting that you had this issue before and now after the upgrade, and it only developed in one of my two receivers after the upgrade. This is gonna drive the software engineers nuts!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey balvert Thanks for the help hope this will be the quick fix to my problem.

since friday it's getting worse and worse. the hour is completly off by 2hours+ the hour shows on the 630 only when it's off. when it's on i have nothing. before the update it was always on &it's not disable.

some channels that does work have no sound! when i want to go at a certain channel i have to go at a another one to get the one that i want to watch..
this past saturday couldn't watch hockey on 292cbc, i had to switch the cable in the back of the 630 to get it ! unreal!

and this morning i tried to watch motorweek at 288, no luck i had to flip the cable again to get this..+ 10 reset that doesn't do a thing.
no guide since friday. can't record while the program is airing too. i think it's related with the guide...

i really really can't wait only couple of hours before the cable guy comes in tomorrow. hope that all the good things about "that" update 4.06, will work the way it's supposed to or i'll throw that box in front of a cement truck to watch it smashed.
It sounds like one of the 2 input cable is bad and it messes up the tuners in the 630.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #197

Hi i am canadian,

This, along with the rest of the issues you've described, can all be attributed to only having 1 cable connected. The 630 requires 2 lines to function, even more so after the tuning rebuild completed in 04.06.

The single line should stay connected to Tuner 1 until you get the 2nd line installed. Switching it to Tuner 2 may be responsible for the loss of Guide data (as I believe new data is only processed on Tuner 1). The multiple resets would have wiped out the Guide backup.

In order to get a certain channel without switching the line, you're going to have to "double tune". For example:
- You are on 299 with Tuner 1.
- You change to 320. The receiver is now using Tuner 2, which has no signal.
- In order to get 320 on Tuner 1:
-- Change channels. (E.g. Channel Up. The receiver will now be on 321 using Tuner 1.)
-- Change channels again. (E.g. Channel up. The receiver will now be on 322 using Tuner 2.)
-- You can now direct tune to 320. The receiver will be on 320 using Tuner 1.

The required resolution is the installation of that 2nd line, which you've said is now booked. Let us know how things look afterwards - I'm betting you'll enjoy the 630 a lot more. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who has provided positive feedback! We're really glad you're seeing an improvement with 04.06 - everyone here and at Motorola has put a tremendous amount of effort into this release, and seeing the experience get better for you is exactly why we do it!

For those still having an issue or two, work is ongoing on future fixes and improvements. We will be in touch to gather more information if necessary to try and replicate an issue in the lab.

Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Caller ID Troubleshooting

Is the call display feature working for the rest of you? My log shows some calls but even those never seem to be displayed.
My call display has never worked. The log has one call from Dec 8/10.
We've spent a lot of time investigating Caller ID and looking for possible solutions. Right now, it works for the majority of people but there are some folks where it never seems to display or log.

First, if calls are logged but not displayed on screen:
- Know that the Caller ID information is displayed at the lowest priority. If you have any other menus or displays onscreen (playback bar, Guide, info banner, etc.), the Caller ID information will not appear until you close the current menu/OSD.
- For some folks, it's been determined after troubleshooting that their TV is zooming the image so far off the screen it covers all or most of the caller ID banner.

Second, if calls are neither logged or displayed, but you can successfully report back (OPTIONS 4-3-3):
- We've looked at both hardware and software modifications to change the sensitivity of the modem to the Caller ID data. The challenge here is that any changes will probably cause Caller ID to stop working for people at the opposite end of the threshold.
- We're also investigating the possibility of an external device to boost the phone line voltage in your home (e.g. Ring Booster or similar). Others with similar issues with other devices (specialty telephones, VOIP systems, etc.) have reported success with these devices, but they're fairly pricey.

We'll keep you posted on how things unfold with respect to this issue. An interesting test to try is to unplug all other phones and modems in your house, other than the 630. Then let a call come in and see if Caller ID displays on the 630. If it does, boosting the phone line voltage or removing excess devices on your line may resolve the issue for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awesome upgrade!

Left for holidays and came back to an upgraded 630. The biggest change I noticed is all my programmed timers didn't record and have been deleted... So I came home to no recordings... thanks SD!

181 - 200 of 540 Posts