Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Has HDNET been turned down by the CRTC? I thought it was not yet decided.
Interestingly in Canada it is apparently possible that it not be decided and turned down at the same time. If you never make a decision then it is by default turned down.

I keep trying to read the tea leaves in the sat radio decision to see what it might be saying. It could be the precurser to opening up the Canadian system more. But on the other hand that may have been a feeler by the CRTC to see what the reaction would be. Then after a year or 2 they decide where to go. Or worst of all they had a gun to their head on sat radio and now the far left is making lots of noise and the CRTC is to frightened to allow HD Net. Hard to say.

It could also be that HD Net is coming. Bev knows it and is trying to get a feel for demand before it get rolled out for real. I doubt it but it is possible.

I can't imagine Star Choice wanting it passed any more.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Probably short term, SC would not want it passed since it looks like they don't have b/w for it anyways.

I would think that NHL contracts with TSN/CBC would cause those games to be blacked out, but perhaps available in NHL CI. I could see them in CI this year anyways.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
HammerJoe said:
Funny on how people complain about the tactics used by BEV and parent BCE and yet every month they continue to cough up money to them.
Well in essence I do talk with my $! I will not sub to their VU Magazine due to their inadequate 44 hr guide, I will not pay for their PPV boxing, I will not pay for HDNET PPV, I will not buy their $1 more HD-PPV movies (I seldom rent the PPV movies at all, probably twice in the last year), I will not pay extra for a watered down MC-HD. Other than that the options we have are not much in this country (Shaw Cable or *C...no thanks).

Alt

·
Banned
181 Posts
jvillain said:
Interestingly in Canada it is apparently possible that it not be decided and turned down at the same time. If you never make a decision then it is by default turned down.

I keep trying to read the tea leaves in the sat radio decision to see what it might be saying. It could be the precurser to opening up the Canadian system more. But on the other hand that may have been a feeler by the CRTC to see what the reaction would be. Then after a year or 2 they decide where to go. Or worst of all they had a gun to their head on sat radio and now the far left is making lots of noise and the CRTC is to frightened to allow HD Net. Hard to say.

It could also be that HD Net is coming. Bev knows it and is trying to get a feel for demand before it get rolled out for real. I doubt it but it is possible.

I can't imagine Star Choice wanting it passed any more.
Actually, ExpressVu is a big supporter of HDNet and is lobbying for its approval. PPV is ok, but offering an HDNet package would be much sweeter to them.

Two channels of full time HD content would be gold up here and really put pressure on Global, CTV, CITY, and others offer more quality HD content.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that's it's passed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Other than that the options we have are not much in this country (Shaw Cable or *C...no thanks).

The tv options in this country suck.You get no entertainment value at all for the money you pay,give me tnt,hdnet movies,hdnet, etc.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
DrewSat said:
Actually, ExpressVu is a big supporter of HDNet and is lobbying for its approval. PPV is ok, but offering an HDNet package would be much sweeter to them.
The CCTA sponsored HDNET. The association is presently lobbying the CRTC to approve it. BEV didn't do this. It's true that BEV filed an intervention with the CRTC in support of HDNET. This doesn't necessarily indicate that BEV is actively lobbying the CRTC to hurry up and approve HDNET so Canadians can have access to some genuine HD programming in this country and not a bunch of SD channels that carry little, if any HD content. CTV which is owned by Bell Globemedia just like BEV is trying to undermine HDNET's application and sabotage the approval process.

DrewSat said:
Two channels of full time HD content would be gold up here and really put pressure on Global, CTV, CITY, and others offer more quality HD content.

The CCTA only applied to the CRTC to bring in a single modified version of HDNET. If HDNET is approved there will likely be some differences between the U.S HDNET and the American version due to program rights issues. Blackouts or program substitutions will likely be in effect. The CCTA never applied to bring in HDNET Movies to Canada.

·
Banned
181 Posts
lprice99 said:

The CCTA sponsored HDNET. The association is presently lobbying the CRTC to approve it. BEV didn't do this. It's true that BEV filed an intervention with the CRTC in support of HDNET. This doesn't necessarily indicate that BEV is actively lobbying the CRTC to hurry up and approve HDNET so Canadians can have access to some genuine HD programming in this country and not a bunch of SD channels that carry little, if any HD content. CTV which is owned by Bell Globemedia just like BEV is trying to undermine HDNET's application and sabotage the approval process.

The CCTA only applied to the CRTC to bring in a single modified version of HDNET. If HDNET is approved there will likely be some differences between the U.S HDNET and the American version due to program rights issues. Blackouts or program substitutions will likely be in effect. The CCTA never applied to bring in HDNET Movies to Canada.
No.
ExpressVu isn't trying to undermine the approval, they are supporting it. There is no collaboration with CTV to stop anything.

·
Registered
731 Posts
HDTV101 said:
I think the penny finally dropped when I saw that line up. I wouldn't doubt that the reason we in Canada are not able to receive the same programming in HD is that providers are obviously thinking along the same kind of lines as myself. With that variety of line up why bother with the SD channels, and besides you wouldn't have time left free to watch them.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
HDTV101 said:
Wow look at all the HD channels Dish Network has!!!

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/hdtv/hdtv_prog/index.shtml

Makes you really want it badly enough to move to the states! :D
Or find a friend with a US address.;)

I just signed up and the quantity and quality of HD on Dish Network is awesome. (Please don't PM me for a how to.)

And as soon as my Rogers Home Phone is installed, Bell will no longer get a penny from my household forever more thanks to all their efforts to brand me a criminal. (A very satisfied HD viewing criminal, that is).

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I won't ask you how peano, but will ask you this question: If you are looking directly at the DirecTV satellite, would the Dish one be more to the left or right?

·
Banned
724 Posts
Dish Network HD

HDTV101 said:
Wow look at all the HD channels Dish Network has!!!

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/hdtv/hdtv_prog/index.shtml

Makes you really want it badly enough to move to the states! :D

No, no it does'nt! Most good original new HD programming is on
Network TV. Dish Network does'nt have East and West feeds of CBS (you need a waiver), FOX, ABC, NBC, PBS WGN HD (WB) and CITY TV HD carries WB and UPN HD stuff.

What are you going to watch on TNT HD? (The TNT HD basketball games are on Rogers Sportsnet HD anyway). Most of the ESPN HD content is on TSN HD. HD net and HD net movies will eventually come to Canada. Most HBO and Shotime HD series are on TMN HD. The only channel that we might not get (besides the 10 Voom HD channels) is Discovery HD Theather because there is a Canadian Discovery channel. I dont think those Voom channesl are anything special.
BEV has the BEST HD offering in North America at the present time bare none.

The only company that will beat this is DirecTV in 2007 when there done lauching all there new Satellites : They promised 150 National HD Channels (and thats besides the 1500 HD local channels of which you can only get 6-10 depending on your city).

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
unreal1080p said:
BEV has the BEST HD offering in North America at the present time bare none
BEV's HD offering is basically the same as everybody's else in Canada except Shaw and SC. BEV has WB HD that others don't seem to have.

I would rather have Directv's or Dish Network's current HD lineup (which i have) over anybody's lineup in Canada.

TMN HD finally has a 24/7 channel but it doesn't have HD Boxing. Showtime HD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Universival HD, Discovery HD Theater. Come on now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The grass is always greener....

Canadians will always want what the US has.

Just by human nature, when we are told we CAN'T (CRTC) have something.....We want it SOOO much more. (US Channels)

I could be worse......We could have Shaw HD.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Agreed.

But BCE and it's powermongering are behind why we can't have most of those so desired channels.

But what can one do, on one hand they rule the country and on the other the same people that want those channels keep paying for BCE service.
It's kinda hard to give a message when you are slapping one hand and eat from the other...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts