Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HK AVR 247 receiver that has only 2 hdmi inputs. I now need to add more devices like apple tv. I was looking at an hdmi Splitter that has 1 input and I think 4 outs for hdmi.

How would this work if I want to set up more devices through my AVR? I currently have a Rogers hd box and a ps3 connected and would like to add apple tv and possible other items like camcorder playback etc.

What inputs would these be called on my receiver? Is signal quality lost?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It sounds like you're looking for an HDMI switch, allowing you to switch from many device inputs to one output (to your receiver). An HDMI splitter takes one output (e.g. from your receiver) and supplies multiple displays simultaneously.

Prior to getting my AVR (4 HDMI in, one out), I used both a manual HDMI 2 input switch, then changed to a 4 input HDMI switch with remote - both from Monoprice. They worked fine, with no signal loss or quality issues, though a lot depends on how your equipment handles the HDMI handshake when you switch from one device to another. Some people have reported problems, often fixed by turning on and off the equipment to let it synchronize properly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
WestCDA,
Monoprice recommends 24AWG (or thicker) cables for their HDMI switches. Was that necessary in your case?

·
Registered
846 Posts
As the HDMI switches were right in the equipment stack, I didn't order anything special for those interconnects - everything they were connected to was within a meter or so of the switch.

Having said that, if they recommend 24AWG for what you're contemplating I'd go with it - their cables are so inexpensive to begin with I can't see any reason to consider otherwise.

I use an 8 port HDMI splitter now, and have a couple of runs from that that are over 35 feet - I use their heavy gauge in-wall cable for those, again with no problems. With the heavy cable I do use 'port savers' so the last few inches are a light gauge cable to relieve stress on the HDMI ports.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I actually meant a switch. What you describe sounds like I need another remote to control the switching b/w devices. Could I program with my harmony?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes, I used my Harmony with the 4-1 switch, and it worked fine. It's listed under 'AV Switch' on the Harmony device page.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My Sima 5 to 1 HDMI switch has buttons on the switch for manual control but also comes with an IR remote which responds to my Harmony One remote without any problems. The Harmony One had the codes for it in its data base.

You have to check whether a switch comes with an IR remote control. If it does and the codes are not offered in the Harmony database you should be able to do the learning manually. Note the word is should. I wouldn't guarantee all IR codes can be learned by the Harmony One.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I found Monoprice HDMI switch codes in the Harmony database so it should not be an issue. Re cables, smaller conductors may be better with short cables due to flexibility issues. I use 6' 28 AWG cables with a 5 to 1 switch and never had any issues with them. For longer cables, I would use a heavier AWG.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What inputs would these be called on my receiver? Is signal quality lost?
The Inputs would all be the same on the receiver because you switch the inputs on the switch.

Signal Quality is not lost. In fact, a powered switch can actually help on longer runs (see the HDMI.org website which discusses this in a excellent overview) so there is no reason to think you need thicker cable with a switch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. It's good to know that 28AWG is not a problem for the switches in practice (for short runs of course).

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the Monoprice 1 for 2 splitter for my Windows Media Centre PC. Two things:
1) Good news, it retains sound output even when the TVs are switched off, an improvement over a single direct connect from the PC. No more reboots to restore the sound.
2) Bad news, turning off one TV causes the other to turn off, even when they are tuned to Component input. It seems that it only happens when the primary TV is shut off.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently picked up an HDMI Switcher, 1 input / 4 output that allows me to watch network tv through my STB without having to fire up the surround system.

It swtiches automatically, and more important seamlessly with no handshake issues.

Picture and audio quality are perfect

One last bonus, it's only 4" wide, 2"deep, 1"high, so it's very easy to hide behind my equipment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts