Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm working on setting up an adult-friendly entertainment basement in my house. I've not got much A/V experience so i'm turning over to this forum for some insight since the local Visions/A&B, etc. are really no help.

Here is a brief description of what i've got and what I am trying to do.
I have a bar in my basement with some cabinet space built for an amplifier and Apple TVs.

On the opposite wall facing the bar I have two 37" LCD TV's with HDMI and Power running through the framing/ABS tubing (vac) into an electrical mud ring so I am able to keep my cables tidy.

In each corner of the room I have 14 gauge speaker wire running through the ceiling joists. All HDMI, speaker wire, ethernet runs directly into my bar head end. After reading about the HDMI 1.3 standard I didn't bother running optical or RCA to my TVs since the audio signal can travel via HDMI now.

I'd like to have an amplifier which will allow me to bridge both HDMI video/audio streams together and display on both TVs synchronously and independantly control the HDMI signals for example (switching?) one TV program to one TV and another to the other TV at the same time.

So the way I see it, I would need an amplifier with 5.1 channel support, 300-400 watts output, 2-3 HDMI inputs, 2 HDMI outputs controllable independantly. I wouldn't doubt it if I am missing something or that there is no hardware like this available for consumer use.

I've not got a giant budget for this and all of the receivers I've come across are in the 3000-5000$ price range which is what I was hoping to finish my basement off with including speakers.

If anyone would be as kind to provide me some insight or what kind of receiver I should be looking at I would really love to hear from you.

Thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
In each corner of the room I have 14 gauge speaker wire running through the ceiling joists. All HDMI, speaker wire, ethernet runs directly into my bar head end. After reading about the HDMI 1.3 standard I didn't bother running optical or RCA to my TVs since the audio signal can travel via HDMI now.
I'm not sure I follow you. You say you have run speaker wire but then you make the comment about carrying audio to the TV via HDMI. Are you planning on using external speakers or are you planning on using the speakers in the TVs?

I'd like to have an amplifier which will allow me to bridge both HDMI video/audio streams together and display on both TVs synchronously and independantly control the HDMI signals for example (switching?) one TV program to one TV and another to the other TV at the same time.
You've lost me here. What streams do you want to "bridge" together? Is the audio and video coming from different sources??

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
So the way I see it, I would need an amplifier with 5.1 channel support, 300-400 watts output, 2-3 HDMI inputs, 2 HDMI outputs controllable independantly. I wouldn't doubt it if I am missing something or that there is no hardware like this available for consumer use.
If this room is big enough for two TVs, you probably need a 5.1 A/V receiver with at least 100w per channel. I would get more, maybe 125w to 150w per channel.

HDMI switching does not need to be done by the A/V receiver. 4x2 HDMI switches (with remote) are available for under $100 so there is no need to break the bank. An A/V receiver with fairly modest HDMI capabilities and a good amplifier section can be picked up for a reasonable price. Buying a high quality, late model, used or discontinued receiver is a good way to go.

·
Registered
491 Posts
at least 100w per channel. I would get more, maybe 125w to 150w per channel.
:confused:

What, exactly, is that going to achieve???

125W is 0.97dB louder than 100W
150W is 1.76dB louder than 100W

The average person cannot detect even a 3dB increase.

It would take 1,000W to sound twice as loud. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts