Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. If i have all components hooked through hdmi to my amp, is it still possible to get sound from the tv speakers alone. I live in a condo and cant have the tv and movies on too loud.

I know that the amp has to be on to output the video to the tv, but is it possible to turn the amp sound all the way down and watch on the tv with cable box or blueray and having the sound coming though the tv only? or would i have to hookup the blue ray and cable box separately with component and rca's

I'm also debating on going with just a 2 channel amp, as i probally wont be buying anymore speakers. I'm wondering if i will have to turn it up and down, when there is speaking and action cus of the lack of center channel.

Is it possible to hooked up just the 2 front speakers and center channel and nothing else? I'm not looking for the ideal home theater set up, just something simple that wont be too loud for a very strict condo.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
116 Posts
what amp/AVR do you have? What speakers do you currently have or plan on getting? some AVR's do have video pass thru while on standby so you can hook up analog cables for sound to the TV directly and use the TV speakers alone without having the AVR on.

Having a 2-channel set up is certainly not a bad thing. A set up like this will create a "phantom" centre channel. Depending on the speakers and set up, it will feel like there is an actual centre channel present in the set up. A 3-channel set up will work as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just purchased a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (still in the box)

im think of purchasing a 2.0 sony amp

Sony 2-Channel Home Theatre Receiver (STRDH100)

Im not sure if this can do the phantom" centre channel? how do you set that up?

the link from sony website is

https://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665788574

The 5.1 i was looing at is Denon 550-Watt 5.1-Channel 3D Home Theatre Receiver (AVR-391) (although i think it might be sold out now)

the link is http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=3d9614d1-8000-4106-ab91-8192242cab83&SubId=40b5820d-83c2-4e93-9909-60aae60e0bdd&ProductId=d2628900-a5f8-49f2-ab1b-28d0d1cf71f9

I like the simplicity of a 2 channel amp just not sure about the lack of a center channel. I have zero intention of buying a sub and a rear speakers. IF i had a 5.1 and it was set to 5.1 just using two front speakers and a center channel, would this sound ok or weird?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
You simply need to tell the AVR which speakers you actually have in the user setup. If you've just got the 3 fronts, that's fine. You respond "none" to the others and the AVR takes care of things. Audyssey will do this for you as well as it detects which speakers you have and don't have.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey 57 do you think if i go with a 2 channel amp that movies i will have to be turning it up when there is speaking and down when the action comes on?

I really cant play it loud in the condo.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
The issue if you don't have a dedicated center channel is that you cannot isolate the dialogue and center channel. Many people complain that the dialogue in movies can be difficult to hear when the surround sound kicks in. If you have a dedicated center channel, then you can adjust for this since the dialogue comes mostly from the center. If you don't have a center, then increasing or decreasing the volume affects the dialogue and surround sound equally.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im thinking of buying this sony amp STRDH510 but it says

Get versatile HD connection options with five HD inputs. Three HDMI inputs support up to 1080/24p output and let you connect a variety of high-definition devices for incredible HD audio and video. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.

if im using hdmi, will i not get 1080p with 60 hertz or with my cable box, 1080i with 60 hertz???? should there be a setting for 60 hertz or should i avoid this amp?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Cable doesn't use 1080P (yet) nothing is broadcast in 1080P and they don't use it for PPV or VOD (yet). This is not the reason to avoid this AVR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts