Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed tv to a panasonic plasma 50 inch and instead of using the comp I am using the HDMI.
When viewing hd I sometimes get messages after a few mins such as "TV not compliant use component" or Copy Protected and then the centre of the picture is blocked. Have I missed a set up instruction or is the HDMI an iffy beast?
I have an explorer 4250 HD.
If these messages appear it is usually after about 5 mins into the programme.
Thanks
Arthur

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
HDMI has copy protection and if your TV or other devices is not complaint then you will get the message.

I get a No HDCP Link when my 360 is connected to HDMI on my TV and trying watching HDDVD movies. I even got in once when I wanted to play GTA IV.

I have my 360 hooked up to component now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wiring contacts

Focusing on when you said: "sometimes get messages"...

I have been down the road and back tracked to an 'iffy' connector on one of my HD8300's. A pull and replug almost always solved it but any significant jiggle in at the connector would cause the problem. (A jiggle being common with 3 small kids around and toys flying). I did try different wires etc to ensure I didn't simply have an iffy cable (And no, I don't buy $100 gold plated cables, I have lots of HDMI cables and they are all $20 range). I speculate that the HDCP portion of the HDMI communication protocol doesn't retry on the rogers end after the 'first' error that occurs, which more than a little sucks. It means any communication hickup causes the error.

RJ

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Not sure if this is a related issue, but i'll try this here:

I have my PVR connected with an HDMI to my TV. I also have regular AV cables connecting it to my VCR.

On occasion I like to tape stuff just to take to my upstairs TV which isn't connected to a box. Normally this works fine; there have always been some movies that wouldn't tape because of protection issues, I guess; but most On Demand series would normally tape fine onto my VHS.

Now, nothing tapes at all. It's not a connection problem, because it tapes for a couple seconds each time before going blank.

Has it become impossible to tape any programs anymore? Would buying a DVR correct this? Also if this is an HDMI issue, two questions.

1. Would using component cables instead to connect box to TV change anything?

2. The box is not connected to the VCR, obviously, with an HDMI. Why does this still effect the recording?

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
1. Try it.

2. Because sometimes the handshake affects other connections. See the following post on CGMS-a and the workarounds in post 1.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44045

Make sure you've got your VCR connections correct, see the following FAQ. I guess if it's recording for a short while, the connections are OK as you state, so it must be a protection issue:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

A PVR will record all channels, however, it will not record On-Demand since that's transmitted directly and not recordable. I assume by DVR you mean DVD recorder - they usually have the same CGMS-a issues, as outlined in that thread. As time passes, more stuff is being protected and more equipment respects the protection.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
thanks 57; I'll try it with the component questions. I guess the same holds true if you "copy to vcr", right? (as opposed to hitting record on the vcr as I watch) making the function rather useless then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts