Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I need desperate help.

I brought a new plasma and Rogers HD box. I got home and powered on boxes no problem in the same wall outlet (2 plugs). Then connecting HDMI cable into TV I got a massive flash as I touched edge of HDMI. Turned HD and TV off and pulled the plugs out. Put HDMI cable into port 2 and plugged in HD box .The nTV and HD box died with a massive bang.

Tested a HDMI cable from DVD recorder and it was OK.

Took HD box and TV back and got new ones.

So back putting it together. Power up boxes NO problems from one power outlet. Turn them off and plug in HDMI to TV, HD box turned on OK. I then try to plug in TV and circuit popped. I thought maybe load is wrong.

Plugged HD box into separate circuit and wall outlet. Try to plug TV in and it popped and will not power on. HD box is also dead.

Any idea of the cause? How can I run old CRT tv AND two older DVD boxes PLUS a standard Rogers digital box off the one dual plug wall outlet and no issues?

I have called a electrician to come and check my power.

Any ideas on what can cause this are greatfully accepted

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If I could understand what you wrote, I might be able to help you! Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure what it is. I can power up the HD box and HD TV using the nearest wall outlet. The issue is when I connect the two with the HDMI cable.

When the two devices are plugegd into separate plugs on the same wall outlet, the circuit breaker pops. Separate the devices to two different wall outlets on different circuits and the HD box and TV went pop and will not work.

I do not understand this as the single wall outlet that blows the breaker, works for my CRT , SD box and DVD recorder connected via coax or RCA.

Why would plasma and HDMI connections cause a problem?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Kiwiboy, I'm guessing that there is serious grounding problem with your outlets which never showed up with two prong plugs but would with your new tv and box which are probably 3 prongs. The HDMI plug goes to chassis ground.
Wait for the electician.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Either the TV, the Rogers box or the wall outlet has a serious electrical fault. (It could be something else but my money is on the TV or a live ground in the wall outlet.) Do not, I repeat DO NOT try to connect them again under any circumstances. UNPLUG THE TV AND ROGERS BOX until the electrician arrives. You are very lucky that you were not injured.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
When the two devices are plugegd into separate plugs on the same wall outlet, the circuit breaker pops.
You definitely have an electrical problem which needs to be corrected immediately. However, even when the house wiring is OK, you should ensure all devices are plugged into the same outlet (some outlets, particularly in kitchens, may have separate breakers feeding the two receptacles). The easiest way to do this is with a power bar that you plug everything into. By having everything plugged into the same power bar, you pretty much eliminate the risk of ground loops and voltage differences between grounds.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
While I agree with plugging everything into the same power bar or power conditioner, it does not guarantee that ground loops and power faults will be eliminated. A 'hot' ground, for example, is an extremely dangerous condition that may be indicated by some power bars but not eliminated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts