Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey!

I've got a Pace 551 hooked up to my plasma via HDMI cables...

Now I am trying to get used to this... when I turn on the TV (which is always in Standby) I get the "Your TV does not support HDCP, please use ybr.." connections

Ok, but then after maybe.. 20 seconds or so the screen will go black and come back. It may be my eyes, but I swear the image is better and the message is gone.

Is that the "handshake"? If it wasn't the handshake, would the message stay on the screen? or what would be the implications of it not supporting HDCP?

I have an Akai PDP4273M and I've confirmed the HDMI port is ver 1.1 compliant.

on a sidenote: since I got this cable the image is freakishly better. Even SD channels are amazing... there is a small issue with black levels on the component connections, but that has disappeared with the HDMI cable. SD channels looked "not great" over component connections.

Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the same problem mentionned above, but even if I wait I will not get any image.
My TV (Hitachi 55HDM71) is suposed to be HDCP compliant.
Now I don't know where to get help from because I'm not aware how to check the defective part.
Should I contact Videotron or Hitachi?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Service providers do not officially support DVI or HDMI, only component video. It's unlikely Videotron will help you.

If you don't get the message "this TV is not HDCP compliant" and simply get no picture, you have some sort of connection issue.

See the Digital Home FAQ "things to check first" (under help).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info about providers not supporting HDMI.
I do get the message "Your TV does not support HDCP, please use ybr"

I'm planning to plug a HDMI DVD to the HDTV to check that at least my TV is HDCP compliant.
If it works that would mean that the problem is coming from the STB.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Your reasoning in the last paragraph may be faulty. Quite a few of the upconverting DVD players do not have an HDCP compliance requirement since they're not truly HD.

Since the TV has an HDMI input, those are usually HDCP compliant, so I guess it could be an issue with the STB. Turn on the TV first, then the STB.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That was too easy...

I was planning to do the test on the LDA-531, but I'm not sure that the toogle as anything to do with HDCP requirement (may be just the up-convert flag)

LG LDA-531 DVD Player Setup Codes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HDCP Toggle: (off to enable upconversion on component video)

Will do some test tonight anyway, just for fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SyStEm[666] said:
Just a little msg, Vidéotron will support HDMI or DVI if the Illico box have one.
Until it becomes obvious that it's a software issue. Then it will be sent to Pace or SA and be checked again after the next update. Not much else they can do.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
SyStEm[666] said:
Just a little msg, Vidéotron will support HDMI or DVI if the Illico box have one.
Perhaps I was not clear in my earlier post. DVI and HDMI will work, provided YOU can make it work.

However, most (all) service providers do NOT OFFICIALLY support it (as previously mentioned) because there are simply too many things that can be 'wrong' (bad cable, incorrect firmware, STB settings, TV firmware, routing signal through a switch, routing signal through an HDMI receiver, etc), so they only officially support component video, because it would take too much effort to troubleshoot DVI/HDMI.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Like I said, Vidéotron support HDMI cable and will troubleshoot them. Don't know for DVI because I didn't get a call on that.

Btw, I am working for Vidéotron as technical support.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, most HDMI should be "easy" if you have a true HDMI to HDMI connection, since there are usually no HDCP issues.

It's when you have one end DVI, especially if it's the TV, that issues can arise.

I do not believe Rogers troubleshoot anything but CV, but it may depend on the technician.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey SyStEm[666] ..

Once every two days or so... the box won't handshake. I turn off the TV, box.... turn it all back on and I get the new HDCP error message.

When I got this with the old firmware - it would automatically handshake after 15 seconds.. now it just sits there. Turning the box off and on doesn't force a handshake - I have to physically unplug it and back in to force it. Then it's good for another two days or so..

any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same HDCP problem with my TV since the latest firmware update. In my case, it happens in every one or two weeks. When it happened, I had to power cycle my Pace STB to get it back. I have an HDMI cable connected to TV.

Are there any other people experiencing the same problem?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wrote a tuto for that but in french :|

But, in anycase, the "why" it's doing that is a little bit weird.
From what I've heard, it may be cause by the TV or the handshake didn't make it... Some TVHD doesn't really support HDCP completly. (I've heard Toshiba a lot)

From what I can say on my side..when I get a case like that, everytime, I just reset the box, turn off the tv, wait for the time to come back in front of the box, re-open the box, wait about 30 sec and re-open the tv. If it's not working, just try to close the box and your tv, open your tv and re-open the box.

Something more rare, if you still have that error, it's the close the tv and box. Remove the power cord and HDMI cable from your tv, do a reset of the box, wait 3min, replug the HDMI and replug the power cord. Open the box, wait 30 sec, open your tv and hope it will be working!

If still, that doesn't work... and btw, I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard they are working on a fix for that trouble but don't know when it will be out. But again, we should be able to downgrade the OS... But... don't call and said that out loud, it will do nothing, it's just in rare case that they can do that. From the beginning of that trouble, I've just heard 2 person that have been downgrade... soo... don't hope they'll do that right away. They will more blame it on your tv, and it's a little bit true.

Also.. while waiting for a patch, you can plug a Component cable.
Videotron doesn't provide HDMI-only connection and will not warranty you that HDMI cable will work 100%. So, even if you yell at us, we provide you a cable service and it's working, it's just an imcompatibilty trouble with the box and your tv and you can plug it with a component cable and it will work good.

So, hope a fix will be out really soon, I'm gonna say it when we will have a fix!

And with that, you shall plug component cable ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Videotron has told me that some PVRs work with certain TVs when it comes to HDMI. For example, one PVR box will work with a Samsung but not a Sony etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my case, I have to unplug the power cable, plug it back, wait for like 5 minutes and see Pace comes back. Just turning on and off Pace (or TV)
doesn't work. It happens once a week so not very often, but it's still very
annoying.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
seegs6 said:
Videotron has told me that some PVRs work with certain TVs when it comes to HDMI. For example, one PVR box will work with a Samsung but not a Sony etc.
Although there have been some issues with some TVs and DVI, HDMI usually works with all HDTVs.

Usually a cold reboot of the STB will fix an HDMI issue.

- Turn on your TV
- Unplug your STB for a few seconds, plug it back in and wait a few minutes. Problem is almost always solved, provided you have a good HDMI connection.

See the Following Digital Home FAQs (under Help).

- DVI/HDMI information
- Things to check first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HDCP error

Hi,
I recently buy a Optoma H27 and a Yamaha V1600 receiver.
My local cable distributor send me a HDTV terminal. The output HDMI go to the HDMI input on the receiver than another HDMI go to the H27 with a HDMI/DVI adaptor.
The receiver an error occur and says that HDCP ERROR ''Check that the connected HDMI components support the HDCP copy protection''
The H27 is suppose to be HDCP ready???

Can you give me a hint??
Thanks in advance!!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts