Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, sorry if this has been covered, but what I thought was so simple has me now second guessing myself.
I'm putting together a very simple home theatre in my basement and I'm currently running all the wiring (HDMI, speaker, cat 6, RG6 coax).
Here are the components:
TV - Sony KDL55nx810
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-31
Apple TV2
OTA Antenna
*may move PS3 down as well for 3D.

My question is, can I simply connect all my components (excluding RG6 coax from antenna obviously) via HDMI to receiver, then just run one HDMI out to the TV's ARC HDMI in?

Do I need any toslink optical connections for audio, or will the receiver handle all of that on the appropriate input via HDMI?

The reason I'm wondering is I've seen a diagram in the online manual for my particular TV that shows the use of a toslink connection from the TV to the receiver, where I wouldn't think one was necessary, as all components shown are HDMI compatible.

Page 11 of this manual - top diagram entilted "Shown with HD BRAVIA® Sync™ Basic Connection".

Thanks.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
can I simply connect all my components (excluding RG6 coax from antenna obviously) via HDMI to receiver, then just run one HDMI out to the TV's ARC HDMI in?
Provided they all have HDMI outputs and your receiver has enough inputs then the answer is yes. No Toslink required as HDMI handles audio and video.

Could that Toslink be for audio output from the TV to the A/V Receiver?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
To use only the HDMI connection for OTA and the TV's tuner, I believe the AVR must have something called Audio Return Channel (ARC) or similar. I downloaded the AVR's manual but couldn't find ARC mentioned, although I may have missed it.

If both devices don't have ARC, then you'll need the optical cable for OTA to get the audio signal from the TV to the AVR.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

57, if you zoom in on the top diagram for the rear of the panel, the HDMI 1 connection is labeled "ARC".
Does the receiver also need this capability? I don't see any reference to it in the manual.
If both devices do have ARC, will the HDMI carry the OTA 5.1 audio signal back to the AVR without the need for a toslink?
That was what I was hoping for from the outset.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I just discovered that.
C'est la vie...
I think I'll opt for picking up a cheap toslink cable instead of the additional investment of upgrading the receiver for this feature.
:)

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
57, if you zoom in on the top diagram for the rear of the panel, the HDMI 1 connection is labeled "ARC".
Not on the OM I downloaded for the 31/30. Page 15 does not show ARC. Looks like topherpaquette may be correct in post 7 since I found no reference to ARC in the OM for the 31.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry 57, I was referring to the TV manual.
Yes, the AVR doesn't have this capability.
I'm cancelling the entire basement reno now!

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts