Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running windows 7 ultimate (64bit) on an asus board with a HD 5450 video card in addition to integrated hdmi video on the board, no audio from the hdmi output to either the TV set speakers or to the speakers of my component system.

whenever I go to control panel > sound, the hdmi connection indicates that it is unplugged so this apparently is not an answer.

I have seen a couple of articles that advise making the hdmi the default connection but this option is not selectable (grayed out).

Anyone know how to resolve this so that the audio will be transmitted with the video via the hdmi cable?

If anyone has a link or knowledge addressing this, it would be appreciated as I have been unable to find anything on this with a Windows 7 64bit operating system....

thanks....rocknroller

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Is the ATI HMDI audio driver installed? Is the HDMI audio device shown as working in device manager?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes to both...also the soundmax program is fully functional in device manager stating that "this device is working properly".....the drivers installed were Nvidia hdmi drivers......... thanks for your reply but I am still in the dark....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would think that you should probably uninstall the Nvidia drivers as a start. From what I can see, the HD5450 is an ATI product. You'd likely have better luck with the ATI HDMI Audio Driver.

As far as the options being grayed out, could be a "no-brainer" but make sure that the tv/receiver (speaker source) is actually powered on and that the proper source is selected. I have found that the HDMI audio options can't be manipulated if the connection isn't actually active.

I know it will work since I have had success with an ATI 5750 connected by HDMI to TV and most recently through my new Pioneer receiver.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd not resolved my issue yet which is getting anything more than stereo from my Sapphire 5670 (ATI) HDMI out. The HD 5450 is a ATI card, and you should go to REALTEK and download the ATI HDMI audio driver. I think the first run at the program will delete the existing driver and requires a reboot and reinstall again. Although I can default to ATI HDMI Audio (rather than optical audio) only stereo is available.

I'd also install the ATI Catalyst Control Center (version 10.6) from the ATI website.

Conclusion: getting the HD (7.1 channel) audio out (Win 7/64 bit in my case) to my Pioneer VSX-920-K appears to be a major headache, yet to be resolved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my msi x58m i7 930 setup with ATI HD5770. Thinking of going to spdif to resolve the issue but its a pain was hoping to only have 1 cable to hide.

Bruce

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is the HDMI audio device set as the default audio device in the sound & audio applet (in the control panel)?

change sound playback default device to
"ATI HD Audio rear output"

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
you should go to REALTEK and download the ATI HDMI audio driver.
The ATI HDMI audio driver should be on the ATI site. It should be listed on the video card driver page or possibly included with the full Catalyst package.

I am having similar issues with HDMI audio. If the TV is not on when the PC starts up or resumes, HDMI audio is disabled. A sleep/resume cycle or reboot after the TV is turned on restores it. Not sure if this is the same issue.

·
Registered
826 Posts
For those getting stereo only, remember that the Blu-ray software bundled with retail BD drives only supports stereo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts