Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 275 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
That's awesome! I didn't realize the 2-51 fix was so easy. I have non-tv signals on rf55-64 out here too and the hdhomerun software wastes time trying to lock them. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck compiling source code before (but I do understand what I have to change in the hdhomerun_channels.c file). Not sure if my computer is set up for it. I just got a new windows 10 desktop.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
orbot, get urself a raspberrypi, and use it to get a little linux under ur belt.
I looked around a little and honestly don't think I have the passion to figure out
building programs in windows. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
majortom, thanks for looking into it, I also tried building the program myself over the past few days but just couldn't figure it out. Luckily a programmer on another forum was able to build the program for windows, so in case someone else wants a windows version of hdhomerun_config.exe with channel range of 2-51 or 2-37 for use with the rabbitears Live Bandscan software, here's a link: https://ln2.sync.com/dl/365fd3b80/atuxxqjh-i6k4uatb-i9khutqi-6ijfqfcq (I just copy/pasted one of the x86 hacked exe files over the original hdhomerun_config.exe file that came with the Silicon Dust software and it worked)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Nice orbot... Good man...
The beauty of open source software, if ya see something ya don't like,
you are free to change it.

edit: I haven't tested it since i don't run windows, but judging by the filename shouldn't the one be '2-36', and not '2-37'?
37 remains clear everywhere for astronomy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The 2-37 file was sort of a "bonus", I mentioned that in 2 years there wouldn't be anymore channels above 37 and I might bump the thread one day, so the programmer built another file and I didn't want to bother them any longer. :)

I've been using the 2-51 file since yesterday and the live bandscanner is just blazing through now that it ignores the cell signals above 51, it's great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to majortom for directing me to orbot's above posting with the link to the Windows version of the 2-37 scan, I just tried this (substituting the 64 bit version of the 2-37 exe file over the original hdhomerun.config.exe file,) and it's working smoothly. Thanks very much indeed!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Glad it came in handy! I'm still using the 2-51 file in the hopes of grabbing some of those low-powers that might still be above 37. Is WDSS still running on rf38?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's great to have it do the 2-37 scan in about 30 seconds instead of a couple of minutes. Yes, WDSS is still on 38. Their signal is a bit better than some of the other Syracuse LPs. (I'm just south of Syracuse.) I'd love to have the knowledge to make a 2-6 file, or even just a 2-4 file for meteor-scatter blips. Looks like some decent tropo might be on its way through in a day or two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
I use an open source software called SageTV for my dvr. It has flavours for both windows & linux. I think there are mac users too although it isn't really on my radar since I have only
dealt with WIn 10 & it's earlier incarnations and Linux. It uses the typical server/client setup. You can add cheap android devices to run as clients & some people use the Nvidia Shields as servers. My main issues of late are weak signal from my antenna esp after the repack. Eventually I will get a bigger antenna to install in the attic. ( my only option since I live in a condo.) If you want to find out more just head to SageTV forum to learn more & download the software. To successfully run Hdhomerun tuners you also need to use a bridge software called OpenDCT so Sagetv can see & use the network tuners. It is also available there. At one time SageTV was a commercial software program. Only other on the assembly shopping list along with appropriate hardware is a subscription to EPG data which can be gotten from SchedulesDIrect.org PS for LInux I use a distro called MxLInux. It is fairly user friendly for those that want to jump ship from Windows world.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I wouldn't recommend SageTV to new users. It hasn't been officially supported or updated for years. I've used NextPVR with few issues and it's actively supported. It's free to download and use for personal use. It requires a guide such as Schedules Direct. It also requires a basic CODEC for MPEG2 such as K-Lite Codec Pack Basic. NextPVR doesn't have a large number of features but that makes it relatively easy to set up and use. The developer may add new features if requested.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Actually, SageTV is now officially Open Source, has frequent updates, and still has a few developers left doing some things. True, as people started dropping cable in favour of streaming, SageTV became less utilized, but if you're a bit of a computer nerd, want unlimited storage, want a software solution that is nearly rock-solid, has external media extenders available on the used market, and now has an Android TV app which simulates those media extenders (so you can access your Sage system on various tablets, phones, Firesticks, Shields etc.) it's a nice system.
You'd need an external HDHomerun network OTA box of course. TV Guide listings can be utilized a couple of ways. The best part about Sage is it plays nearly every file format found, including DVD rips. It runs on Windows, Linux, MAC.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Nice to hear that Sage is now open source and is supported. Can't say I've tried using it since it was proprietary.

NextPVR can play many types of files but the CODECs must be added externally. Support for platforms other than Windows is lacking as well. It is supported as a PVR backend by some other programs such a KODI that has multi-platform support. The files it creates are playable by most media players.

Another option is the HDHomerun DVR. It's pay to use but includes a guide and extras. Unfortunately, the extras are mostly designed for the US market which makes it less of a deal in Canada.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I use Mythtv and tvheadend. They both tie in to my OTA Antenna system and Satellite Antenna System.. hdhomerun, numerous atsc USB devices, numerous USB & PCIe based DVB-S2 devices.
Don't really do much recording here though. Guide info comes from the Zap2it scraper.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Over the years I have used a number of software DVRs.

Snapstream, Media Center, NextPVR, SageTV among others...

Currently I am very happy with the DVR capabilities in Plex. Very simple to setup. Very polished, professional UI. Integrates all of my media including video, photos, music, etc... in a common platform. They have really improved the DVR in recent years. Just wait for a deal on the lifetime Plex Pass.

261 - 275 of 275 Posts