Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
The HDHomeRun DVR Kickstarter campaign is over $360,000, so the following should also go ahead:
$150,000 stretch goal - HDHomeRun DVR add-on for Kodi (XBMC):
The HDHomeRun Live TV add-on for Kodi proved what a great platform Kodi is to work with. Our promise in return for your support - if we hit $150,000 we will make the HDHomeRun DVR work with Kodi as the client for copy-freely recordings.

$250,000 stretch goal - Plex support:
Silicondust will work with the Plex team to integrate HDHomeRun DVR recordings into Plex. You will be able to schedule recordings through the HDHomeRun Channel on Plex and playback recordings on your favorite Plex clients.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, the Silicondust kickstarter was a big success. I backed them at a $30 level just so I could get a subscription to give their software a try.

I suppose I'll need to upgrade from HDHR3s to HDHR4s in order for the software to work. It's a pity they couldn't build in support for anything but their most recent hardware.

Oh well, I'm told that the tuners are slightly better in the HDHR4.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
HD HomeRun Extend - First Impressions

I recently won this device in a social media contest, and Silicon Dust sent it to me directly from their California offices.

Almost immediately, my Rogers DPC-3825 modem/router began crashing every few minutes. I went into the Cisco's GUI, and noticed the channel width was set to 40MHz, so I changed it to 20MHz. This reduced the crashes, but they were still happening. This Rogers rental is obviously not the best WiFi device, but it's been to handle multiple simultaneous Chromecast HD streams without any issues.

HOMERUN HARDWARE

The HD HomeRun's GUI is rudimentary at best (via browser and local IP--not the PC application). It enabled me to do a channel scan and a few other minor functions. I cycled through the various bandwidth settings, and wasn't able to resolve the router crashing issue.

Tuner performance isn't great. I found the tuner tripped up on stream errors that didn't impact other devices such as my Sony Bravia or CM7000-PAL DVR--all of which were connected to a splitter with the same leg loss. And if the errors did present on my other tuners, they weren't as detrimental.

ANDROID APP

I downloaded and installed the Android app to test out the streaming. The app is $1.98, which isn't expensive, but I was a little put off by the fee. Presumably you've already bought the hardware. Why not incorporate this cost into that?

The app works, but there's frequent stuttering. Also, whenever the OTA stream gets corrupted with even a low error count, the image just freezes. The only resolution I found is to tune to another channel, then back again. Frustrating.

When viewing programming, you can see the title of the current and next programs. I couldn't find a way to view programming descriptions. The channel list also included a station that I hadn't scanned in. When I selected it, it tuned to another local station.

In conclusion I found this app to simply be a novelty. You'd become too frustrated using it to watch your favourite show.

I've discconnected the device from my network. Perhaps I'll try it again when they release their DVR software, or when I upgrade my WiFi hardware. I have a stand-alone DVR, and all of my TV's have coax with antenna signal wired up. Therefore, a network-attached OTA tuner isn't required in my home.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
The best use for the HDHomerun is with DVR software such as NextPVR. It works quite well with that. Silicon Dust is developing their own DVR software but it's not necessary There are several mature applications available that do the same thing.

Stuttering with apps is often due to playback limitations of the mobile device. Many do not play MPEG2 files well (the default for ATSC.) They are optimized for MPEG4. There is an a model of the HDHomerun that does MPEG4 conversion.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Jase88. Thanks for your review. I had read early on that there were issues with the HDHR Extend but it is interesting to read that they haven't gone away. I figure the issue is with its live H264 transcoding as the HDHR Connect doesn't seem to have the same issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
I've tried the HD HomeRun Extend once again, this time using Kodi. And I must say that my results are far more positive this time around.

I no longer have any Wifi hanging. It seems that the Silicondust Android app itself was the likely culprit of that issue.

The Kodi software with the HD HomeRun add on--for both PC and Android--is great. Fast, stable, free, and a good recommendation. Both platform versions of the software are nearly identical...which makes switching back and forth more intuitive.

Perhaps one of the few missing features from Kodi is Chromecast support. Though I suspect that would add cost and thus negate the "free" GPL.

Kodi handles signal hiccups far better than the Silicondust apps. Though the hardware itself is still somewhat fickle. I've found that some channels aren't receivable on the Extend while perfectly watchable on my TV's tuner or the CM700-Pal DVR. After downloading a free signal meter app, it appears that the Extend will ignore channels with a poor symbol quality level.

I"ve been peforming channel scans by accessing the Extend's GUI directly by IP address. It appears to be an 'all or nothing scan', meaning that I can't find a way to simply add digital channels without a full scan--a critical feature for those of us with a rotator. If anyone has any insight into peforming an 'add channels' scan, I would appreciate if you could share it.

Channel scanning appears to be done from highest to lowest channel, and it's a quick process on the Extend. Thus making this a good device to use if you're a DX'er who frequently scans for distant channels during tropo events.

I also tested a cable TV connection to the Extend. In my Rogers area, audio stations and a few barker channels (480i) are available in clear QAM. The Extend found about 49 channels in all, and assigned a "5xxx" numbering convention to them. I wasn't successful in tuning any of these channels in Kodi. The channels appear, but don't present any audio/video when tuned. There may be a simple fix for this, but some more experimentation is in order.

I'm looking forward to testing out the DVR add on in the PC version of Kodi....

·
Registered
386 Posts
HD Homerun Connect video freezing

Just picked up an HD Homerun Connect. Seems to work ok except I can't seem to play any HD content through my PC (or any other device for that matter) for any length of time. It locks the channel and I get a few frames and then the picture breaks up and stops. Audio stops eventually too, maybe a second or two after the video freezes. I can still change channels etc so the device is still working...
Using a gigibit router and switch, can even play UHD files through the network.
Luckily one of the local Shaw broadcast sub channel is SD, this seems to play ok but there is still an occasional breakup but it recovers quickly.

I found a status page in the web GUI that shows signal quality, which all are 80% +. I don't "think" my issue is signal related.

My router says it's only outputting 11 to 15 Mb/s data. I can stream video from a sat receiver connected to the same cable/port at more than 80GB/S (full TS). Seems maybe it's not running enough bandwidth to deliver HD video and audio?? I have found no adjustment for bandwidth on the HD Homerun unit via the GUI or the windoze app.

Tried VLC and am betting no luck there either.

Also tried it on an andriod device using Kodi, it just crashes when I try to play anything with the HDHomerun app. (Might be wifi bandwidth issue there though).

The GUI seems really dummy-proof, and the device is working... I am thinking there is something on my network or PC causing the limitation.
You guys have any ideas I could try?

Tnx!
-C

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
The HDHomerun Connect streams in MPEG2. It will not work well with Android and other small devices. It may also have issues with wireless connections. The HDHomerun Extend is much better for that since it converts the MPEG2 broadcasts to MPEG4 streams. The HDHomerun Connect should be fine with wired PCs.

I am assuming the issues are with the supplied HDHomerun View program. That doesn't seem to be working for me right now. I find NextPVR to be solid, though it often needs some CODECS for video display on Windows.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I haven't tried a wireless connection, I do have a laptop and an Ipad with wireless but I would expect it is too slow.

I upgraded the KODI and there was an update for the HDHomeRun app as well, now it plays on the andriod media player but not perfectly. Few glitches once in a while, but audio and video match and it is much better. Still can't get HD video to resolve on the windoze desktop.

Just for fun I loaded the hdhomerun app on the windows laptop and it works perfectly, no difference with either wired or wireless! But.. if I go to the opposite end of the house from the wireless AP, the picture does break up a bit as the signal from the AP drops. This is a Ubiquiti wireless N AP. Playing the local CKY TV HD just fine.

Must be a problem with my windoze desktop... Was hoping to use it as a DVR, it has a 1tb internal drive. I can transfer up to 800MB/s between it and the NAS, and stream UHD video from the NAS to the desktop so it shouldn't be a problem with network speeds. Maybe a video driver/codec issue with MPEG2 as mentioned above... I use a TBS5980 USB satellite receiver on this same machine and can play video from that just fine... Really weird.

Maybe using the on-board video (motherboard) could be an issue? I don't have a video card installed. Using an AsusZ97K MB with Intel I7 4790 CPU at 3.6GHz with 16GB ram. Has worked in the past but maybe I have found a limitation...

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
It's likely a CODEC issue. Some programs, like Kodi and VLC have them built in. Others, like WMC and NextPVR, rely on external CODECS. Win7 does not ship with an MPEG2 CODEC so one must be installed. To confuse things even more, some programs ship with external CODECS that might or might not work with other programs. There are a number of free CODECS available. I find that ffdshow, Matroska splitter and AC3Filter are sufficient for use with NextPVR. If that doesn't work, I would try updating the video driver.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
My router says it's only outputting 11 to 15 Mb/s data. I can stream video from a sat receiver connected to the same cable/port at more than 80GB/S (full TS). Seems maybe it's not running enough bandwidth to deliver HD video and audio??
15 Mbps sounds about right for HD on CBC, City TV and Global. CTV would be a little over 17 Mbps. The theoretical maximum on an ATSC channel is 19.2 Mbps.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
No, your PC should be more than capable of doing MPEG2 decoding. I was asking about wired vs wireless because sometimes wireless interference can really affect traffic that is sent over UDP.

So, just so I can properly understand: you have a very capable Intel Core i7 desktop, connected to your network via Ethernet, and when you play live TV you get all sorts of visual artifacts in the video.

Please try the following (on your desktop):

1. Launch the app "HDHomeRun Config".
2. Pick one of your tuners and type in a channel number that you're having trouble with.
3. Note the Signal Strength, Signal Quality, and Symbol Quality measurements. They should all be consistently in the "green".
4. Click the "View" button.

In this case your viewer app (which I imagine would be VLC) will pop up and you'll see a video. If you're running into issues with the video, the issues could either be introduced before the tuner (i.e. poor signal quality), after the tuner (e.g. UDP packet collisions, issues with wireless networking), or due to software issues.

If you're installing the HDHomeRun drivers and VLC, that's a very standard configuration - one that I've done on many PCs. I have trouble believing that's the problem in your case.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I replaced the "updated" installed display driver with what was supplied with the original motherboard package and now it seems to be working fine. Don't remember changing the driver... may have been one of those microsoft updates that was done before I turned off automatic updating. If that had not worked, next step would have been to mess with different codecs, was doing that already with the satallite receiver, but I had that working fairly well now and didn't want to mess with it. Sat stuff is still working (so far).

All plays well using the HDHomeRun View windoze app.

Audacity,
Tried your recommendation by clicking on the "view". It opens Quicktime, which I almost never use, which promptly freezes, and I have to go into the task manager to close it. Also tried to access the stream via VLC using the local IP address of the HDHomeRun, it seems to load the logo of what ever channel is tuned and just sits there. Will have to play with that using port numbers etc I guess. I can access the video through Kodi, change channels, volume control, etc. Plays perfectly there now too. Otherwise my weakest signal this evening was CBC out of Winnipeg at 82Q, signal and symbol rate was 100%.

Tnx for your help, got me thinking and pointed in the right direction. :)

-C.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Works on LG 4K Smart TV

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that our new LG Smart TV found and recognized the HD Homerun on the network. All of the available channels are displayed, and you can quickly and easily tune whichever station that you desire from your antenna.

The LG uses WiFi or wired network connections. The HD Homerun worked flawlessly via WiFi on the LG.

This is a good solution for anyone wanting antenna TV access, without having to install a dedicated coax run...or if the RF input is already occupied by a digital cable adapter. And the HD Homerun has dual tuners so more than one Smart TV is supported simultaneously.

The HD Homerun is growing on me. Now if they'd do a software upgrade to allow "add channels to line up" (to support antennas on rotators), I'd be a really happy camper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
see how this works out on ur hdhr4... Keep in mind I only had 77 samples to work with, but it does look pretty linear.

Code:
(0.00991 * [B]$15[/B] + 45.3),"\t"(.00991 *[B] $15[/B] + 45.3 - 48.75 )
Slope	0.0099156414
Intercept	45.2737590943
You could do this command to detect the hw version to decide which flavor of dbg= output to expect... and thus use that to
determine which formula to use...

~/src/TV_Stuff > hdhomerun_config 103AB6AA get /sys/model
hdhomerun3_atsc
Many thanks to majortom and 905schmick for the leg work on trying to figure out how to convert SS% and DBG values for the HDHR3 and HDHR4. I've been looking around the internet for a while, and this is the only place I found information about it.

Also sorry I'm so late to the party.

I actually need to calculate the dBmV and dBm for the HDHR5 from the debug value, so I followed your process to calculate the linear equation with about 100 data points of SS between 25 and 99, and got this:

Assumptions:
1. The HDHR5 also defines SS as a percentage between 0-100% where 100% = 0 dBmV and where +/-5% = +/-3dB power.
2. The HDHR5 has 2 dbg values separated by a "/". I'm using only the first one and ignoring the second.

Equation:
Signal Strength (in dBmV) = 0.01 * dbg1 + 34.458

I just wanted to share my results in case someone else finds this thread and needs the conversion equation for HDHR5.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Nice... funny how that works, someone always out there that has been down a certain road...
Mind showing the device info, how it prints out?don't have that one...

·
Registered
752 Posts
majortom, I didn't realize you've been a rabbitears Live Bandscanner for several years. Looking at your channel list at m.rabbitears.info, are you using some hacked hdhomerun software that only scans rf2-51 instead of 2-69?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I do that intentionally, to save from wasting time..
a one liner, compile the library then install.
https://bitbucket.org/majortom/hdhomerun/commits/8290fc1a9074c856ecd185ef76192ffcab0f99e4

I do something similar to remove those channels from every application I use,
like in mythtv. Why waste ur time scanning those?

edit: in case anyone was interested, if ur familiar with hdhomerun_config_gui, you'd know that it's designed
to use VLC to play the channel ur tuned to. Well ya can't play very well if at all with VLC on a raspberrypi, so this one will allow u to
use a different player like 'mpv' which works really well on the pi platform.
https://bitbucket.org/majortom/hdhomerun/commits/e7715ee8b877440b8d2d49b66e5549f082cd1b81
That is pretty much the extent of my tinkering with hdhomerun source code.

edit2: I forgot about this one. Some time ago I had noticed that when changing channels, if u let the tuner settle down a bit,
before moving on to the next channel, the SNR or quality reading would stabilize and be more accurate.
So I changed that in the library to settle down for me. https://bitbucket.org/majortom/hdhomerun/commits/dea2cf3b66ba7b97986e5ef244ece7c641559c4a
That means the snr or quality is probably more accurate than all the rest of them would be.

241 - 260 of 266 Posts