Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there a firmware update recently?

I recall finding my SA HD8300 reset to channel 1 on Monday.

And last night between 9:00 and 10:00 I had multiple freezes (picture would freeze, no audio) on FOX HD, CBS HD, and NBC HD within 1-2 minutes during the State of the Union address, and then even on Zest HD after viewing for 15 minutes. Changing the station helped, but the problem quickly came back, and even with PIP enabled, the same channel would show in the PIP playing fine during a freeze - although once I saw a video glitch in the PIP window just as the main one froze but the PIP feed continued playing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I performed a reboot (unplugged) last night and let it run this morning but no freezes.

I am at work so can't test the signal strength at the moment but if it acts up again, I will do this.

Ventilation is ample above and around, but I have not opened or dusted the inside, which I assume after 6 years could have a layer of dust on the chips and the PCB.

HDD - this is a factor even for watching live broadcasts? I do have an external eSATA setup (2 year old 500GB WD model recommended here), and my girlfriend did notice on a recent recording some stuttering but I occasionally see dropped video but never freezes or stuttering, so just assumed it was the signal.

Should I try running the HD8300 on just the internal HDD for a week as a test if the freezes come back and the signal strength seems good?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Should I try running the HD8300 on just the internal HDD for a week as a test if the freezes come back and the signal strength seems good?
Yes

HDD - this is a factor even for watching live broadcasts?
Yes, the programme you're watching is being buffered at the same time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A freeze occurred again last night, so I unplugged external eSATA drive, and it was fine the rest of the evening, I will leave it disconnected as a test.

Would a low-level format of the WD5000AAKS HDD help, or should I just replace it? My WD5000AAKS is about 3 years old...

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
There are several threads in the Videotron forum regarding new firmware - problems caused with eHDDs, the eHDD thread and eHDDs in French thread that discuss issues that people have been having. I suggest you read those 3-4 threads first - at least the last few pages of each before purchasing a new eHDD. You may wish to consider a new internal PATA drive WD 500GB instead.

If you're willing to experiment, I suggest a new 1TB WD Black drive for an eHDD. You should perhaps also read the last few pages of the Rogers eHDD thread.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I received a new WD5000AAKS HDD and installed it into my Vantac Nextstar 3 and wow, the new WD5000AAKS feels like half the weight of the old WD5000AAKS I installed back in Jan. 2008. And if the new HDD lasts as long, I will be set until 2014... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts