Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and the folks here seem extremely helpful. I am having an issue with my Bell HD6131 receiver and my HDTV (Insignia NS-LCD47HD-09). The problem I am having seems to be some sort of handshaking issue when I am connected via HDMI. Basically, the Bell receiver squishes itself to a 4:3 aspect ratio (widescreen into 4:3, black bars on the side) anytime I turn my TV off/on, or if I switch inputs and come back to the input of the Bell receiver. Just to clarify a few things, the channels I am on are in HD, my TV is set to normal, and the Bell receiver is set to 1080i using 16x9 mode.

If I power cycle the receiver and wait 2 minutes, everything comes up 100% fine. Widescreen HD works absolutely perfect. Again, the minute I switch away from that input and come back, or if I turn my TV off/on, the image becomes completely squished into a 4:3 aspect ratio even though the settings are all in tact which is what leads me to believe its some sort of hand-shaking issue. To further clarify the situation, its not channel related as the on-screen guide even gets squished into a 4:3 ratio when it should always be 100% widescreen.

I've called Bell's tech support which was a complete waste of time as nobody in India knew what I was talking about. I had a tech over today to fix a signal issue I was having with the satellite and asked the tech (who seemed very knowledgeable) about it, and he said that it was probably a hand-shaking issue and to go with component cables instead of HDMI to avoid the issue. The last thing I want to do is run more cables through my setup. He told me that my firmware was up to date as well. I have an Xbox 360, HTPC and a Bluray player all connected via HDMI and none of them present this issue at all. Its only the bell receiver.

I've tried bypassing the surround receiver and connecting the Bell receiver right to the TV, same problem. I've even tried different HDMI cables and different HDMI ports to no avail. I am very "desparate" to get this working properly as I really hate having to power cycle my receiver everytime I want to watch some TV with a proper aspect ratio. If anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it as I don't know where to look for help on this. Much thanks in advance!

Regards, Chris...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Try pressing the "*" key on the Remote to scroll through the different aspect ratios.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. However the problem is not the aspect ratio. Everything is set to normal as mentioned above. Its some sort of hand-shaking issue that I cannot figure out for the life of me. Everything works 100% fine when I power cycle the receiver. The widescreen aspect ration is absolutely perfect. The minute I shut my TV off and back on, or the minute I change inputs and come back to the input of the receiver, the aspect ratio gets crushed down to a 4:3 mode. This includes the menu and guide as well. It is not channel related. 4:3 (SD) signal get crushed down even more. The entire signal just gets crushed inwards when I switch the signal and come back. I am uber frustrated because I cannot resolve this issue.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
Sounds like an improper setting in the TV. Go through the User menu and see what the various setting are regarding aspect ratios or stretch modes. Often there may be an automatic setting that the TV uses until you override it, hence the change when you switch inputs or turn the TV on/off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything is set perfectly fine on my end. My TV is set to normal mode (which it should be) and no stretching is enabled on either the Bell receiver or my TV settings. Again, all of my other devices (Xbox 360, Bluray player, HTPC) work 100% fine. Its only the Bell receiver that this is happening with. Its some sort of hand-shaking issue which I really need help with. Al of my settings are 100% OK. If anyone has had any similar experiences, please let me know. Thanks! :confused:

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
If it's a handshake issue that you can't find a solution for, you may wish to use component video cables. Here's the FAQ on HDMI issues.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

If it still does it when using component video, then there's no handshake issue and you may need to recheck the user options on the TV for a "global" stretch mode, or similar. I know lots of TVs that have this and it may affect one device while not affecting another. This is a global setting, in the user menus, not simply using "normal" aspect. (Some TVs do too much "thinking" for the user... ;) )

And here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought I was having a similar problem but when I set the TV to a WIDE (not NORMAL) aspect everything was fine. HD channels would be in proper 16:9 format and SD channels would be in 4:3 format. May be different with your TV but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Exactly, normal is NOT what you want. Check for a Full or 16:9 mode. The receiver is set to output to a 16:9 TV by default.

·
Registered
5 Posts
16:9

I had the very same problem and found that as soon as I connected the reciever some of my tv settings had changed and one of them was the aspect ratio .Its default setting went back to 4:3,I set this back to 16:9 and all was fine:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue... Until today!

I was just as frustrated, but I think I found the solution! I found if I press the "page up" button to change the HD Zoom to Normal, it stopped changing the ratio randomly. The page down button changes the SD settings.

It has been a while since this thread was created, but hopefully this helps someone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts