Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HD - Telus or network?

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Just drives me insane. Why do so many of the HD channels continue to put on shows that are 4:3 ... even more maddening is when its letter box as well, you end up with a little tiny viewing area on your big screen TV.
National Geographic and History channels do this alot.

that and the Optik site saying

"True widescreen experience

Watch your favourite shows on a widescreen picture that delivers movies and sports that better fit your TV screen, providing a more intense viewing experience."

Would you think it ok if you went to the movies and they only used the middle 10ft of the 30ft tall screen? it is the same thing to me. I could use my TVs settings to expand the picture, and i have done so(and would like to) but that distorts the guide all to hell.

Is this a Telus(Optik) problem? With Shaw i could use the TVs "Just" mode that expanded the screen (but not zoomed so it goes over the edges) and the guide worked fine. not so with Optik

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
IMHO stretching the 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 screen looks atrocious. I have no idea why people feel the need have a full picture on the screen at the expense of picture quality.
i dont get why people buy a 16:9 tv and then watch mostly 4:3 content on it. Why bother even getting a widescreen tv? I would think that most people on forums such as this would be pissed at having letterboxed and pillar boxed (as in black bars on all 4 sides so you turn your 50in tv into a 32) especially on HD channels. This is 2011 not 1995. HD should be full 16:9...the networks cant afford a proper scaler (app and or hardware) to stretch non 16:9 programming?

I will quote Telus again as they say about HD programming

"True widescreen experience
Watch your favourite shows on a widescreen picture that delivers movies and sports that better fit your TV screen, providing a more intense viewing experience."

i would think those of us that spend big bux on these new TVs would only want the best viewing experience.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Again its not the provider but rather the programming.
well to quote part of my OP

"Is this a Telus(Optik) problem? With Shaw i could use the TVs "Just" mode that expanded the screen (but not zoomed so it goes over the edges) and the guide worked fine. not so with Optik "

so with Shaw the guide looked the same in Just mode. With Optik in the same setting parts of the guide is cut off.

I have since changed the options on the Cis430 to 1080 from 720. (when i had Optik installed the tech set it to 720 and said its better when i questioned him saying my TV is 1080) i have the cis430 set to stretch (as i had b4 on the 720 setting)

maybe i just am hitting a good streak with the HD but so far since i changed to 1080 everything is full screen (cept for at times bars on top/bottom)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.