Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drives me insane. Why do so many of the HD channels continue to put on shows that are 4:3 ... even more maddening is when its letter box as well, you end up with a little tiny viewing area on your big screen TV.
National Geographic and History channels do this alot.

that and the Optik site saying

"True widescreen experience

Watch your favourite shows on a widescreen picture that delivers movies and sports that better fit your TV screen, providing a more intense viewing experience."

Would you think it ok if you went to the movies and they only used the middle 10ft of the 30ft tall screen? it is the same thing to me. I could use my TVs settings to expand the picture, and i have done so(and would like to) but that distorts the guide all to hell.

Is this a Telus(Optik) problem? With Shaw i could use the TVs "Just" mode that expanded the screen (but not zoomed so it goes over the edges) and the guide worked fine. not so with Optik

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an older HDTV so when I am in 1080i mode, I cannot change or stretch my picture in HD mode. Just curious, did you change in the option/setup menu in the Optik box to select 1080i mode? Once you do that, all HD channels 600 and up at least for me display normally. Only during commercials when not displayed in HD, I get 4:3 mode or 2 black bars vertically. Then, worst, non-HD widescreen commericials I get the black bars all four side thus the tiny box effect that I think you describe. But I got the same thing when I had my Shaw HD box so I don't think you can get away from that.

For SD channels, I found that pressing "options" on the remote and select Aspect Ratio to "Stretch", that usually solves the vertical black bars and fills the screen so that works for me. This won't work in HD at least not for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That would be the networks.

Your TV should have its own zoom/stretch options but it may be limited to some inputs. I had an older Samsung that would only give me the zoom/stretch options on analog inputs (except VGA) but not HDMI.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Its the networks. Not all HD channels broadcast HD Content all the time. If the HD channel is broadcasting the programming in HD, there is a little HD shield in the guide next to the show name. If its not broadcasting in HD, there is no shield.

I believe all of this information is covered in the Optik user guide

IMHO stretching the 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 screen looks atrocious. I have no idea why people feel the need have a full picture on the screen at the expense of picture quality.

Movie theatres don't always have a full screen. They either adjust the curtains to the proper aspect ratio of the picture, or just show the movie on the screen and some of the screen is unused. Movie studios and directors would not allow their movies to be show if the movie theatre stretched out and distorted the movies to fill the screen for every movie regardless of the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think he's talking about how sometimes they fit a 16x9 image into a 4x3 window, so it's still a 16x9 image with black bars on all four sides. In that case I have no problem with zooming in (not stretching side to side).

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMHO stretching the 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 screen looks atrocious. I have no idea why people feel the need have a full picture on the screen at the expense of picture quality.
i dont get why people buy a 16:9 tv and then watch mostly 4:3 content on it. Why bother even getting a widescreen tv? I would think that most people on forums such as this would be pissed at having letterboxed and pillar boxed (as in black bars on all 4 sides so you turn your 50in tv into a 32) especially on HD channels. This is 2011 not 1995. HD should be full 16:9...the networks cant afford a proper scaler (app and or hardware) to stretch non 16:9 programming?

I will quote Telus again as they say about HD programming

"True widescreen experience
Watch your favourite shows on a widescreen picture that delivers movies and sports that better fit your TV screen, providing a more intense viewing experience."

i would think those of us that spend big bux on these new TVs would only want the best viewing experience.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The problem with that is that you would have to look long and hard for a new 4:3 TV. Also, HDTVs aren't expensive by any stretch, you can buy a 40" HDTV today for the price of a 20" Sony Wega CRT (480i) ten years ago.

HD channels still show SD content because there still isn't enough HD content but it is dumb that they don't properly scale images to best fit 16:9 (without altering the ratio).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Again its not the provider but rather the programming. Shaw, Bell and other providers are in the same boat. They don't control what the channel broadcasts.

The only time I see bars on all sides of the programming is when an HD channel airs a commercial. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the HD channel broadcasts a HD shot commercial, downgraded to SD and then played on the HD Channel as an up-converted SD signal.

I don't think I've ever seen an entire program on a HD channel presented with bars on all 4 sides on Optik so maybe we're talking about 2 different things.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think CTV here in Calgary is still upgrading some there equiment to full HD, You also got remember, Some older shows say like first season of family guy or House. Some them may not even be in wide screen/and or HD..
Some shows maybe SD but wide screen DVD format.

I think even CTV news not fully HD yet. I know Global Calgary is full HD. But True many Tv ad's are not HD. A lot are still 4:3 format.

Telus says the "True widescreen experience" is miss-leading, And say picture quality is better then others is always far
from true..
Sat from either Shaw Direct/Bell or even Telus prob currently give more detail the what current Telus IPTV is currently showing. I Hope as they do more upgrade and I hope they turn down/and or tweak some the compression.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again its not the provider but rather the programming.
well to quote part of my OP

"Is this a Telus(Optik) problem? With Shaw i could use the TVs "Just" mode that expanded the screen (but not zoomed so it goes over the edges) and the guide worked fine. not so with Optik "

so with Shaw the guide looked the same in Just mode. With Optik in the same setting parts of the guide is cut off.

I have since changed the options on the Cis430 to 1080 from 720. (when i had Optik installed the tech set it to 720 and said its better when i questioned him saying my TV is 1080) i have the cis430 set to stretch (as i had b4 on the 720 setting)

maybe i just am hitting a good streak with the HD but so far since i changed to 1080 everything is full screen (cept for at times bars on top/bottom)

·
Registered
272 Posts
On your remote. lower right corner. Did you try the hitting options button?
Should get pop up for: Normal/Stretch/Zoom.
Remember not all HD channels will be full screen. Some shows maybe on HD channel but showing in 4:3 format..

There's not much you can do if on HD chan but show is showing in 4:3, Like some shows on some CTV channels..

I do wish they would put a HD stretch option for when showing 4:3 show on HD channel. The only other thing could try is some HD TV may have there own kinda stretch option. Check your tv setting.
If I am understanding your question correctly..

If your guild is getting cut off/stretched to far, You'll just have have return to normal/Stretch mode on Telus tv option. but also if you adjust tv setting. That may effect too...

My new LG 42' tv.. Has few option for picture type for Aspect Ratio : Just scan/ 16.9 / Set by program / 4:3 /Zoom options.
Intill everything is true HD, this minor issue will be with us for awhile.
As for 720p vs 1080i better or worst. I think that all on how you feel what feels correct. I think Telus send all it's HD as 720p though.

·
Super Moderator
16,874 Posts
@Blintok, the reason the Shaw guide looked the same in "Just" mode is because it is 4:3 (lots of complaints about this in the Shaw forum), so there is nothing to cut off. The Mediaroom guide uses the full screen, so when you cut off part of the screen, you also cut off part of the guide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts