Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It probably is the case that Canada is ahead of UK in HD yet we have 2 trucks available to run around the country for sports coverage yet on TV each week every soccer and rugby game for UK seems to be in HD. Why is it so easy coverage for them but limited for us, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'm not really sure what you are asking, but I think this answers it... (if I'm wrong let me know)

For soccer its simply because the Premier League will pour tons of money into producing every game in HD (I'm talking about the 10am ET games) because they get so much money in contracts from the Asian market.

Its more or less the same with Sky and ESPN. They charge a premium for their channels, so its easy to provide everything in HD. I'm not sure if Sky's or BBC's Football League coverage is in HD or not.

Pretty much everything here in Canada is in HD too. Every NHL on TSN game, every regional NHL game (Sportsnet, Leafs TV), every CFL game, every Jays game, every Raptors game. The only thingst that aren't in HD are CBC's regional NHL games, CBC's curling coverage and Sportsnet's CHL coverage.

Also, we have more than 2 HD trucks. CBC has 2 themselves, and then TSN and Sportsnet have a few that they share.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As I understand it, the equipment in the UK ( premier league at least) stadiums is permanent. No moving around is required. I can only assume that the equipment is actually owned by the EPL and it's use is part of the rights deals.

At least that's what I was told on a recent visit to the UK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts