Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is it possible that my HD signal is being compromised by the fact that the cable wire from pole to house is twisted around another wire?

At old house all worked fine with new (LG LCD HD 350 32") TV and DVR box from cable company (Eastlink in NS).

Then, moved house and the mysteries began.

•HDMI1 cable does not bring signal from cable box to TV. (Comes on for 5 seconds and then "no signal")
•Component cables do bring signal from cable box to TV - but with slight purple and green horizontal lines moving up the screen.
•Regular cable input also works fine.
•Cable technicians have replaced box 3 times and used many different HDMI1 cables and component wires.(they say it is my TV, but admit they are not sure).
•But, TV accepts HD signal perfectly from other source (BluRay) using either HDMI1 cable or component wires.

Hence, my thinking it may be exterior wire or exterior hookup. Especially after looking outside and seeing two wires entangled both near the pole and near the house. It is a very windy area!

Does anyone have advice.

Thank you for reading this.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have a poor cable connection with an improper ground on the cable coming to your home, causing the ground loop problem you mentioned in your second point. Replacing boxes does no good if the signal is poor and the connection coming into your home is not installed properly.

Call them back and have them do a proper installation of cable, with proper grounding and stop switching boxes and cables. Also have them check the signal strength and signal to noise ratio.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274

Scrolling lines up the TV screen are almost always indicative of a ground loop caused by poor grounding of the incoming cable. This can sometimes be "masked" by a different connection (like HDMI).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the response and information on the topic.

I shall contact the provider and hopefully they will send more technicians to check this part out. I remember when they connected me they did nothing to the connection atop the house. And, I take it that is where the grounding comes into play?

Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts