Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much purchased the following JVC TV
AV-48WP55
I got the TV from the Brick for 1477.00 Delivered. 12 months interest free without paying the financing fee. I also paid 200 for the 5 year extended warranty.
I am looking at purchasing the following Home theatre in a box
JVC TH-M303 5-Disc Home Theatre System
Any feed back on my potential purchases would be much appreciated. I am having issues finding a lot of info in JVC HD RPTV's. Are these good deals? Is it worth the 5 year warranty. I read the article on this subject so I am considering dropping it and buying a better HT or TV. Any info would be much appreciated. I just switched from Starchoice to Rogers HD. Got a sweet deal from Rogers to switch will give the link is anyone is interestedlink . Only difference is I got 4 months for everything.

·
Banned
899 Posts
I wouldn't buy a HTIB from JVC. The most important part of that is the speakers, and who knows what speakers they use.

Buy one from Denon or Infinity or something like that.

EDIT : 5 year warranty on that is useless... Not worth it on a low end system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You should get a copy of the November Issue of Consumer Reports. They review 18 HTIB. They may not be audiophiles but they are comparing real world options & features and also have list pricing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Someone at Red Flag Deals forum is selling a used 5.1 complete set of Dahlquist Orbit 5.1A speakers for like $350...GTA I think. If you want new and are in or close to Ottawa, Audioshop.on.ca, has this speaker set for $450, 50% off list. Then add an inexpensive A/V receiver like the Panasonic XR50 for $350 at Futureshop.ca or Londondrugs.com Since you are considering a HDTV-ready set, a LG 7832NXC DVD player that upconverts to 1080i/720p via component (only Nov/Dec 2003 and Feb/Mar 2004 builds) or DVI (all builds....July 2004 or later builds reportedly fixes/improves the white crush issue on DVI). July 2004 or newer builds do NOT upconvert ALL DVDs via component (only some for the July 2004 build....later builds, may be none). Price on the 7832 is $215-$250.

IMO, a Panasonic XR50/LG 7832NXC/Dahlquist Orbit 5.1A system (total of $900-$1000) would likely blow away all HTiB systems. Get a hassle free return policy for each component in case they don't sound great together.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FS has this Sony KP51WS520 on sale this week for 1999.99. Is it worth the $500 more than my JVC? Still have until next week until my JVC gets delivered. Spoke to a salesman at Audio Video and he said that 1477 is a good price for the JVC and that it is a pretty good tv just not that popular. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think that Toshiba/Hitachi/Sony/Panasonic are the big names in RPTVs. JVC are not that popular, but that doesnt mean they are not that good. I would venture to geuss that Toshiba and Hitachi are the most popular. I think Toshiba may be more popular than Hitachi because their pricing is much more competitive, but there seems to be a consensus amoung forum goers that Hitachi are somewhat more reliable than the others. Sony have the reputation of producing great CRT based sets but not such a great reputation for the RPTVs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts