Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
HD Radio Tuner for Home Stereo? (2016)

Hello all, I'm trying to find an affordable HD Radio tuner to attach to my home stereo. Where I live many of the radio stations broadcast in HD and I'd like to be able to tune them in. I'm looking for something like this: Sony XDR-F1HD

It has a remote and and LCD Display and connects directly to a receiver. Back in the day I think they sold for around $80 but alas you cannot find them new.

Can anyone help me with this? Point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
The Sony model you mention has often been hailed as "the best radio tuner ever". Given the glowing reviews, have you considered buying one used?

Unfortunately what's available new these days simply doesn't compare.....

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Attention Industry, We Have A Product Requirement!

mattsse, here's a link to new HD Radio home audio gear known by Ibiquity (HD Radio inventors) to be presently on the market: Get an HD Radio receiver | HD Radio. There aren't any standalone tuner boxes listed there but there are definitely some high end AV receivers with HD Radio capability from a variety of manufacturers. You mentioned "affordable" so consider that the used market has Onkyo AV receivers with HD Radio tuners, and probably other brands do too.

As both of you mentioned, the amazing Sony XDR-F1HD might still be found on the used market. Likewise if you don't find a new HD Radio standalone tuner model on the Sangean web site you can check the used market for one of the Sangean HDT-1 or HDT-1X tuner models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Magnum Dynalab

You can usually find one of the Sony units on Ebay, but the price will be between $100 and $200.

Magnum Dynalab has just come out with 2 stand alone HD units, however they may be out of your price range.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Canadian Supplier Of HD Radio Receivers

Hello Maxam...Here are a couple of links that can help you get a HD Radio.

This site seems to have a whole bunch of them. I never used them. So, don't know more than the site info.
Products | MyHDRadio | Canadian online HD Radio Sales

HD Radio now has a Canada link. But, it still seems to be a in progress section.
canada | HD Radio

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I don't know if the radios sold at MyHDRadio are any good, but it seems there are coupon codes to save 10% - go to your station's website and you should see the code in their HD Radio section

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
This is the first time I've seen an ad for various HD radios and I've been searching for several months. Thanks Blackburst for the link!
Max

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought one Gigaware HD Radio Receiver for iPhone ...
I've seen these available on ebay from the U.S. for about Cdn$21 after you add the shipping to Canada. But like the post I quoted, it looks like they were made four years ago, and the first thing I notice about them is that they have the big older 30-pin type of connector. Does anyone know if it will work with a more recent iphone or ipod touch if you use the right kind of 8-pin 'lightning' adapter?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sangean HDT-1 Dead

My Seagean goes silent after a few seconds on.Happens even if i disconnect antenna.Back to my Onkyo T4500 analog tuner which sounds better on analog signals anyway.Sangean not best quality.Remote buttons stopped after first year than tuner buttons started to fail.Now complete failure.I have 3 older analog tuners that all work perfectly and are much older.I dont see any new good HD radio Home component tuners.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am currently using Sangean HDR-16. It is an excellent basic portable HD Radio, but in my opinion it is highly overpriced here in Canada. It picks up both AM and FM HD signals. The reception is good, but it would be nice if it had external antenna inputs as AM HD stations are hard to lock with built-in ferrite bar antenna. HD Radio technology will save the dying radio industry, a specially AM radio. Unfortunately it is very slow in being implemented. Surprisingly most high-end AV receivers are still being sold with no HD Radio tuner and the sales reps at Best Buy have no clue when asked about this feature.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Actually, AM HD Radio is not as great especially at night time due to adjacent channel interference caused by the HD signal. It's still annoying on FM as well for smaller stations, but on AM it's worse due to night-time propagation.

The benefit might be that station owners tend to broadcast their AM stations as subchannels on their FM signals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
In Canada there is no other choice. AM stations can only transmit in HD as sub channels on FM. The only AM HD stations I can lock sometimes are the "clear channel" 50000 watts power stations from the US. The European DAB HD radio technology is much better solution with completely separate frequency spectrum, but we have what we have. It is still evolving technology and much needed to save the radio industry.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Given how poorly Canadian stations handled DAB when they were trying it, and also how few DAB-capable receivers were available, you'd be hard-pressed to convince many here that it was the superior format.

Just ask people like @CamDAB

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^^ Did I hear my name mentioned? :wink

And not only did they do a massive injustice to DAB, but they're not doing HD Radio any favours either. When they process the HD1 digital to match the pathetic FM processing... the only improvement is the loss of mutipath distortion. HD2 and HD3 streams are often (but not always) an improvement as there is no FM signal to match, so they often do sound better.

When DAB was set up right, it was fantastic. But that was often by mistake... :laugh

Cameron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts