Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 9242. About 3 weeks ago, the receiver would start to give messages saying there was an issue with recording. It would not work for a few days, then work again. It has been 2 weeks of not working, so I decided to start doing some research.

Bell is trying to sell me a refurbished unit, seeing how I am 22 days outside of my warranty.

I did the NVRAM dump, and also a hard drive (SMART) diagnostic. The diagnostic failed, without any reason why.

When I went to reboot the box, it now goes through a minute or two of the fan buzzing, and then 2 red lights come on and blink, and nothing happens.

I have taken the hard drive out, and noticed that it wont power up, even trying to power it up using an external power supply. The drive must be totally shot.

The unit should still work without a hard drive installed - but I am stuck at these red lights.

Any advice how to get into the menu system to do another NVRAM dump so I can at least watch some TV while I wait for a replacement? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I had a dead hard drive in my 1st 9200, years ago. All the advice on here was to dump, clear, reformat etc. etc. All was a waste of time.
You can't re-format a dead hard drive. And, no, it wouldn't work for live TV meanwhile.
I think 149 plus tax and shipping is a great deal for a replacemeant. I've said this before, do you think pioneer would send me a replacement reciever, by porolator, with instuctions to send the old one back in the same box?
Good Luck, hope the refurb works!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
To get rid of the flashing lights, try plugging a USB stick in the front. That may allow you to get to the menus and clear NVram.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
What peano said, this has worked for several people in the past, good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have taken the hard drive out, and noticed that it wont power up, even trying to power it up using an external power supply. The drive must be totally shot.
One thing - drives in these PVRs don't spin up until they get a SATA command to do so. So the drive not spinning up may not prove it's hosed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
9242 flash red lights hard drive error 12hr temp fix

My hard drive crashed and is now disconnected from the PVR. (this should work if the hard drive is still connected)

*I plugged the pvr in it did its thing going through the standard start up green light , loud fan, blank screen and then the red lights.

(I believe there is still picture and sound on tv2 even though the light were flashing, as the tv2 picture was on screen saver. I didn't have a uhf remote so i was able to press select)

*I left the pvr on over night and about 12 hrs.

*Once that time has elapsed, the receiver will give you some PVR error messages. Press ok or done.

*Once you get through them you will then get full functionality or the receiver to watch tv again.

I wanted to post to help fellow 9242 owners as the unit requires a tremendous amount of patience. Hopfully this info can help you.

Dino

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would try unplugging it let it cool off for about 30mins. Then try to plug it in mine also had done that a couple of times. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation and place something under to prop it up to allow the heat to escape.

try it and if works or you fix it some other way update the forum so everyone can learn.

D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quick update to those that are lurking.

I believe the flashing red lights error cause by heat. I have removed the cover and hard drive from my pvr and the unit seems very stable. I have noticed that my fan is not running which i think caused the pvr to over heat which killed the hard drive. I think the red lights flash untill the cools down.

This is all what think is happening, if you are experiencing this problem can you try verifying some of the guesses.

The biggest thing i would like to confirm is if your fan is functional. My fan sounded like it was functioning but now that the cover is off i can see it is not turning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It appears that the internal fan is turned on by a temp sensor(can anyone confirm this). I replace the fan with a fan i had around the house from an old computer. The new fan spun at start up when wired to the old fan power source. I've since wired the fan to the hard drive power (fan red to yellow and fan black to black right beside it.)so that the fan runs all the time much like my computer. If my hard drive is spinning i want the fan on.

The fan i have is a bit too large for the pvr case so as a test i left enough wire to place it outside the case where the old fan vents are sucking out the hot air. With the case on the receiver, it is not even warm to touch.

The orginal fan size in the pvr is 60mm x 60mm x 25mm. I found some on ebay that are a bit thinner at 15mm. I think i'll use some tape tp close the gap.

In the next few days the parts i ordered will be here and i can reassemble the case properly. If you are having heat related problems glitches or your receiver is running hot i would suggest rewiring a new fan.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I sit my 9242 on a laptop cooler. At one point, I noticed that the TV1 tuner could fail to lock on a channel being recorded on TV2, and found that more ventilation helped it, and liked the effect of the laptop cooler. I've never looked back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am Having the same issue as kdutka. Green light on the front, fan is running high, but no picture on either TV. Any insight?

·
Registered
16 Posts
guys kdutka and farmerjoe i started i new thread for the green light problem.

if its a rental or warranted call ma bell

the only advice i can offer is process of elimination to find the problem.
start with simple things to fix it then work your up. I would try the following in this order

make sure the unit is cool to touch if the case is warm place it in a well ventilated area propped up 2-4 inches to allow air circulation. Don't really understand why the air vents are under the unit. The legs are so short which doesn't allow enough air flow.

1) soft reboot (hold the power button for 8sec)
2) hard reboot (unplug the unit for 5 mins)
3) open the case and vacuum any dust
4) open the case and unplug the hard drive

If someone solves it please post it so others can learn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my receiver is now stable its been running problem free for a couple of weeks.
I installed a new hard drive, and wired a new exhaust fan, and bought a hd cooler which is a little fan that runs under the hd. Everything is wired for constant power from the hd power.

The counter in the diagnostic menu reads hi 52, avg 41, low 25.

--------------------------------

Heres how i did it(do this at your own risk)
this will also probably void your warentee.

Using some old computer power wire and my soldering skills i modified the harddrive power wire 5pin plug coming from the board to the sata hd power connector.

-I cut the 5 pin connector at the board leaving 2 cm of wire.
-Then i soldered power cable from the computer that has a 4pin connector in the middle.
-then soldered the sata cable connector from the original cable to the end.
-when soldering matching all the same colour wires together

now that the 4 pin connector is live all computer fans and power are plug and play. Now you can plug any 4pin pass thorough connection into the plug.

I hope this has helped you, if need help or have questions feel free to ask.
Dino

·
Registered
16 Posts
update- its been almost 3 months since i completed the fix.

There are no issues to report. Receiver has been working with no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
9200 PVR dual red flashing lights

I have a 9200 which I own and is way out of warranty and the disk has gone totally dead. I tried to replace it with another WD2500JD that I had sitting around. But of course because the 9200 is tied to a particular firmware revision, this did not work. So I replaced the original drive and tried to boot it up. TWO FLASHING RED LIGHTS. Now after days of searching the net for a way out of this, I am at my wits end.

I have tried the 12-24 hours wait period and tried inserting the USB stick, but nothing I do will get rid of these damn lights!

I do not want to send it back to Bell for a refurbished unit. I will cancel my subscription before I do that.

Has anybody found out a foolproof way to get rid of the lights so that I can at least use the 9200 as an HD only box; don't need the PVR capabilities. I need detailed step by step instructions as I must be stupid! There has to be a series of "key clicks" or a jumper short which will get rid of these lights. I just need to know what it is so that I can watch HD TV again!

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts