Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Wow that looks awesome! I would love to set one of these up for my mom. The only issue is the remote, she doesn't have a smart phone and no plans to ever get one. I suppose an iPOD touch might work but that would be an extra $200.00 just to record TV OTA.

*edit* looks like it might have a remote in the box. The only other concerns would be an EPG that works in Canada. Also, the $269.99 does not include a hard drive!

*edit again* Looks like it is running Linux, That makes me doubt it would support Dolby Digital or DTS (wouldn't it require licensing and is there not any version of Linux that is licensed) wouldn't matter for recorded material but any content you ripped yourself, that might be an issue.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Looking at the specs on that site, the digital tuner is DVB-T, not ATSC, unless they make an ATSC version not listed on the side.

They could have Dolby licenses in an embedded device. TiVo does, for their HD model TiVos, as well as DVD and DirecTV models.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
The 6620N supports ATSC and North American power.

I like that it supports XVID. But unfortunately it doesn't support MPEG4 XVID. The device is listed as supporting Dolby Digital.

The question I have is where does it get EPG data from? PSIP? TVGOS?! The internet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help with EPG/PVR software for OTA in southern Ontario

Hope I am posting in the correct forum.

I have used OTA for about 2 years: HD signals into traditional CRT non-HD TV. The picture quality is better than DVD!
My antenna can receive both signals from CN Tower and from Buffalo. The signals from both locations are at high signal quality.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a HDHomeRum box and connected to my Pentium 4 3GHz, 2GB RAM with Windows XP SP3.

Downloaded a SageTV trial version and had great experience with the EPG and the PVR experiences; software is speedy and very smooth even with 1080i. So, I was planning to purchase a licence and it turned out nothing is available for sale by Google at this point. Now, my SageTV v7 trial only have a few days left for the trial period.

I ventured into other alternatives and it turned out to be a very frustrating experiences.

Other solutions that are available for sale are too resource-hungry so it does not really work. Choppy video and audio on wathcing live TV. It could record no problem, but my PC had problem to play back (the TS encoding/format: too resource-intensive). The software was Beyond TV and I can't get EPG o work.

Tried other free alternatives like nPVR and MediaPortal. They are much, much harder to get to work than SageTV. The loading speed is quite slow but still bearable. It is somewhat working now - able to watch the TV and change channel without crashing the software.

However, I am not able to get EPG to work - the table is empty except for one or two stations. Without EPG, my system is not really functioning as a PVR.

Could you give me a helping hand on setting up EPG and/or other PVR software that I could consider, please?

To re-cap, I am just looking for help with EPG or a PVR software with a good EPG (free or subscription-required) that could work well for my OTA situation with a Pentium 4 3GHz Windows XP SP3.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Schedules Direct works well with MediaPortal. It costs $25/year but is worth it. There are other solutions but they typically involve extra steps and extra processing.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A New Option? TVIX PVR M-6640N

Have you considered using a standard media player (about $100) and recording TV with a standard PC and ATSC TV tuner?

·
Registered
373 Posts
NextPVR is the media center app of my choice. I had NextPVR up and running in less than an hour. At first EPG can be a bit confusing but once you understand it's not rocket science. I also tried Media Portal but was put off by number of shortcuts added to my desktop as well as it's overall config. and having NPVR already running I just gave up on it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used SageTV and it was very good. I switched to Windows7 and now use WMC (built in). In many ways it requires less resources than SageTV, the free guide data works for the GTA both US & Canadian channels simply by using a Niagara Falls NY zip code.

I'm working on an article for my blog, here are some of the highlights.
WMC is built into almost every version of Windows 7 and Vista.
Dual antennas (one US one CN tower) to a pair of HVR-2250 (the HDHomeRun works just as well)
Great looking guide
IR remote support
XBOX 360's can act as excellent extenders without modification (IR remotes too)
Very easy to setup and configure
Stable, I've been running it since Sage was acquired by Google.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Homeworx PVR

Looks like this forum has been dormant for a while. Let's if anyone is still here.... :)

I wonder if anyone has tried this $70 OTA friendly DVR: http://goo.gl/n3ncfd

Have to add storage, but how is the basic unit? Thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Homeworx HW-150PVR (A72)

I'm using the same one though mine has a Dolby Digital insignia just to the left of the USB port. I had to play around with the settings a bit but it works great! Especially for the price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Homeworx HW-150PVR (A72)

Make sure that the USB stick that you need to buy for this unit is high speed and at least 32 GB. One hour of HD programming takes about 7 GB.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow, there is like on this forum! Thanks for the responses, guys. @Winnipeg305, did you find the settings were easy enough to deal with? Reasonably intuitive? Any issues?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Several years ago most companies producing DVD recorders had models with ATSC tuners. Maybe there was no market for them, because now they have all disappeared.
Homeworx 150 might be a good solution, but a name brand DVD recorder with ATSC tuner and build in large hard drive would be a dream come true for us the OTA enthusiasts.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Raspberry Pi?

Just wondering if anyone has tried building pvr functionality into a Raspberry Pi? I want to try it. I've just ordered a complete RP kit, all that's missing is the tuner. Out of the box I'll be using the Pi for streaming until I figure out the tuner/PVR part. I plan to use XBMC/Kodi and one of the RP distros as the media software, and I have a 1 TB HDD in a usb cage to record on.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I have played around with several Pis and I doubt that this is a good idea as the USB port I/O isn't that great. And if it is a PVR then you want to be recording at least one but perhaps several shows while also being able to play a show. That will severely tax the Pi.

And an OTA signal has a bitrate of 19 Mbps so it uses a fair amount of the Pi's bandwidth.

You would be much better off with something like a NUC and a HD HomeRun as your tuner.

SageTV is about to be OpenSourced and it is a very good PVR solution.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts