Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts
Shaw is just lucky that they have stuck to their no contract business model as that is the only thing keeping me as a shaw customer. It seems to me that Shaw has definitely dropped the ball on their core business which is cable TV. It seems their technology is always lagging behind others, doesn't have the features (ie multiroom PVR access, remote access) and always seems to be buggy. This whole PVR disk full thing is a big thorn in my side as I first experienced it with a non-shaw pvr expander (ie plain jane external esata HDD) and was told by shaw support that was the reason so I put down my $150 for a shaw one and guess what...no better! If they had focused on the core business more they should have been technology leaders not laggers.

One a bright note though they have done a great job with phone and internet.

Since the same "disk full" nonsense is happening with PACE boxes here in Ontario with Cogeco the problem would seem to be with PACE and not with Shaw or Cogeco. Leaving the box on 24/7 is a temporary fix (not a solution) at best and not welcome with the noisy hard drive churning away like a small thrashing machine in a bedroom all night. As with any business, the bottom dollar line is the only thing that really matters and so Motorola was dumped in favour of a cheaper box. If not for my wife's wanting to record and save certain episodes this POS would be gone in a flash. :mad:

UPDATE:
Leaving power on seems to be one option for a more reliable unit.

Now feedback from Pace/Calgary indicates leaving the Hard Drive Power Down option set to ON (or Yes) seems to be the latest thinking. Shaw will be putting out an update to pace Summits and Aspens early Thursday morning to change this as a default. Should you notice this option set to YES/ON starting tomorrow please do not change it.
Well we were made aware at the end of the day today that a Pace patch should be rolled out tomorrow morning which should help/eliminate the 100% full issue from occuring. It's planned for the early morning hours so by the time you get up hopefully things will be more reliable (fingers, toes, eyes all crossed for luck)

So what is the "test" to see if all is good and proper now that the update is hopefully on all Pace boxes or is that only with Shaw's units? The acid test would be to turn box off at end of day, each day and if no false popup warning after 10 days then all is well? sailmaker

So, did the patch roll out in Edmonton? Any feedback yet?
My understanding was the patch rolled out this morning successfully. Now the true test will be if there are any new reports of the 100% full issue occuring again. If you get this occuring please contact Shaw as examples will be needed.
I have not heard any calls yet today about the 100% full and typically we get several an hour in our large call center. The only call I had so far was a tech agent who had a customer with one 30 minute recording on an external drive and it was coming up saying recording space is low. This may be a one off but escalating it up anyway as it may be the tip of a new iceberg or it may be nothing. I can't stress enough to call Shaw for any new issues that occur after this update as it's really the only way to gauge how it went.

Pace PVR DC758D 100% full

I noticed that after the patch the sleep mode is set to "No". I had set it to "Yes" as per "Shaw guru's" instructions. I'm shutting off the pvr and the tv to see if the 100% full error reoccurs.

To sleep or not to sleep

Okay, so at first the thinking was that the HDD going to sleep was part of the problem, and then later they're say we should actually set sleep to ON? Huh?

Anyway, with the 20.76 firmware rollout this morning, does the sleep setting matter anymore?

Fingers crossed this update fixes the problem.

Until that's confirmed though, I can confirm that the leave-the-box on workaround did work for me.

I've had the PVR on on for the past 2 weeks and no problems at all. I turned PVR off for 2 hours or so today and when I turned it back on, the PVR was full again.

I suppose I am not going to turn it off ever now or until the fix comes through.

Seems OK

Here on Vancouver Island have the new software. Seems to be ok since then, no disk full 2-3 times a week. What angers me is that I have missed a number of recordings as when the disk full error occured, it wouldnt record. Another pain is that when I contacted Shaw a month or so ago they said they would send out a techno geek to change it our. Problem I have is I will lose ALL my recorded programs, and I do a fair bit of series recordings as I am not always here and sometimes it has been in that miserable state for days. So that is the big catch 22 about having them come out and swap it.

As per message #89 in this thread by Shaw Guru, you should be calling Shaw if you continue to experience 100% disk full trouble after the rollout of the latest fix. The cable people need to be aware what they tried to do didn't work for some of you.

Locally I have been asking reps and we have not had 1 report of the 100% full since the upgrade last week. As other areas have had similar reports Calgary believe that this issue has been corrected by the patch last week. If this is not the case and individual examples are still occuring these need to be investigated further and info needs to be gathered. Definitely let Shaw know.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.