Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts
Attach all components to a power bar. Just flick the switch off, turn back on 10 seconds later. All will be good.

Taught my 3 year old how to do it.
What a shame - getting a 3 year old to do a man's job! :) just kidding.... I believe we are suffering from the application of poor technology - I've experienced this problem too - and I believe Shaw needs to step up regardless of the origins of the issue.

I'm getting ready to move, and I'm gonna do everything in my power to go back to Bell when I do!

I have a Pace DC758D and I am getting this message ("your recording space is full") every couple of days (maybe 6 - 8 times total now). It sounds like there is no solution for this still. Hopefully a solution is offered soon!!!

Had this today for the first time. The Pace box is on our second TV though, which we rarely use, so it hasn't been too much of a problem yet. I was thinking of moving this box to our primary TV as it's got the bigger external drive, but I'm not sure I want to after reading this thread.

Has anyone successfully gotten Shaw to swap the Pace box for a Moto box because of this problem?

I got mine switched before this last update that started causing the 100% error, because there were more than enough other bugs before - mainly the 1 min recordings that started to get pretty frequent. But I had it for 8 months and kept complaining, and it was Shaw who convinced me to keep it in the first place when I still had 30 days to return and get the old Moto instead. So they felt guilty enough to replace it with a 3400.

Leaving the power on all the time is a poor way to correct a problem that should never be happening. What is the power consumption at idle and is it higher when the box is active? It could be the equivalent of leaving a 240 watt bulb on 24/7/365. Cogeco csr here in Ontario tried to get that data from their files but no luck. Cogeco does not have the answer to the problem and cannot provide the power data. I have sent an email to PACE but they require me to enter the two words at the bottom of their request6 site. Right. Those words always look like a 2-year-old scratched them with their finger dipped in diaper residue. Anyone????
Not sure if these numbers are still accurate as they were provided to me by a customer a couple years ago when he tested his PVR. Usage when turned on was 33 Watts per hour. Usage when turned off was 30 watts per hour.
Using your 10 cents per kilowatt you are looking at about 8.640 kilowatts per year so it's about 80 cents more to leave it on every hour of every day for a year.

Someone check my math for me please. 3w/hr = 24 w/day = 720w/mnth = 8640w/yr = 8.640kw/yr

Not sure if these numbers are still accurate as they were provided to me by a customer a couple years ago when he tested his PVR. Usage when turned on was 33 Watts per hour. Usage when turned off was 30 watts per hour.
Using your 10 cents per kilowatt you are looking at about 8.640 kilowatts per year so it's about 80 cents more to leave it on every hour of every day for a year.
According to my Kill-a-Watt, my DC758D uses 33W whether it's on or "off", so nothing is saved by turning it off.

I too have had the "your recording space is full" message twice in the last couple of weeks, despite the PVR being on a timer that power-cycles it once a week. I got my DC758D back in February, and put it on the timer soon after because of the full recording space messages I was getting then. The timer seemed to solve the problems until the recent f/w upgrade...

Shaw Guru;

I think your mathculator might be broken. I get a maximum savings of $2.63 over a year and that is only if you were to leave it OFF for the entire year. So, any usage reduces that savings making it even less attractive.

3W/Hr = 72W/Day = 26,280W/Yr = 26.28KW x .10 = $2.63/Yr (Again, this would hold true if the unit was OFF for an entire year)

100% full problem is driving me nuts

I have had a Pace unit with the external Seagate expander for about two months now, and I've had the 100% full problem several times in the past couple of weeks, more recently today. I think it started happening after the latest firmware update (the one that gave us the folder view).

BTW, it appears my earlier concern about an inconsistent file system was probably unfounded, because after unplugging it and pluggin it back in, the shows I had deleted while it showed 100% full reappeared.

This is getting really annoying as I've missed recordings several times now. Does anybody know if any fix for this is forthcoming?

It is being investigated along with Pace. I heard a Pace tech was actually on site in Calgary last week to help look into the matter. I really do not have an idea for when it will be corrected unfortunately but when i hear anything I'll make sure to post it here.

Shaw Guru: Would you mind keeping we sufferers at Cogeco in Ontario in the loop?
We are in the same boat and of course no paddle. I have decided to let it run 24/7/365 but that is not a cure. Thanks for your input. sailmaker

Does just leaving it on really work?

Shaw Guru: Thanks. Should I also call Shaw to complain so they know more people are having the issue? Or is it already being taken sufficiently seriously that there is no point?

All: Is leaving the unit on really a reliable workaround? In other words, has anyone out there left it on 24x7 and still had this error happen?

Shaw Guru: Thanks. Should I also call Shaw to complain so they know more people are having the issue? Or is it already being taken sufficiently seriously that there is no point?

All: Is leaving the unit on really a reliable workaround? In other words, has anyone out there left it on 24x7 and still had this error happen?
Good point - I haven't contacted shaw yet because I have assumed that they are taking care of this fairly serious issue. Maybe we should all be letting them know that we need it fixed!!!

As far as leaving it on 24/7 - I haven't had the problem again since I started leaving it on.

It is being investigated along with Pace. I heard a Pace tech was actually on site in Calgary last week to help look into the matter. I really do not have an idea for when it will be corrected unfortunately but when i hear anything I'll make sure to post it here.
So progress has been made as to what is causing the issue. From what I recall: The new version of guide checks file allocation while the DCT is turned off or in sleep mode (something the old version did not do). Since the hard drive does not respond (since it's off or sleeping) the DCT thinks it's no longer got a hard drive attached and causes 100% full.
The good news is Pace is taking this info away and will be working at finding a resolution but in the mean time they recommend making sure you do not turn the DCT off and also make sure the Sleep Mode is sdiabled in the User Settings (power then menu options)

So progress has been made as to what is causing the issue. From what I recall: The new version of guide checks file allocation while the DCT is turned off or in sleep mode (something the old version did not do). Since the hard drive does not respond (since it's off or sleeping) the DCT thinks it's no longer got a hard drive attached and causes 100% full. [...]
Sounds reasonable, except I've always had sleep mode disabled (and I often hear my expander chugging away late at night, while the DCT is off) and I'm getting the 100% full messages. If leaving the DCT on solves the problem it must be for some other reason.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.