Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frustrating issue...

Since EastLink updated the firmware on the DCX3400s to Ver. 24.29, my recorded HD programs sometimes will not play right, the HD 16:9 picture is squeezed into a 4:3 frame. If I hit the guide button on the remote, then exit, all is well and the picture fixes itself. This happens one out of every 3 times that I start to watch something. What is even worse, sometimes when I am choosing a recording in the List and the press Play, the recorded video STAYS in the top right corner and the rest of the screen stays black. Going in and out of the guide fixes it too.

I am using component cables to connect the box to my TV. Video settings are set at 720p for HDMI/YPbPr output, 16:9 for TV type, and 480i override is set to OFF. It has always been set this way even when I had my 6416. We changed to a 3400 at the beginning of February and this has only happened since the FW update.

Is anyone getting this?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the links and info.:) I'll give that a shot and report back.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been seeing the same issue for the last week or so. Its annoying but I haven't put much effort into trying to solve it. Weather is getting nice and I'm spending much less time in front of the TV.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been noticing the exact same issue too.

It only occurs for me when I'm on a non-HD channel when I enter the menu and go play my DVR'ed program. If I'm on an HD channel and do the same thing, I never have an issue.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never noticed which channel I was on before playing a recorded item but it is possible since it was hit and miss.

Switching to 1080i did nothing. I've heard that EastLink is looking into it. Just have to wait and see I guess. Nice to know I'm not alone.;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did they lie to me

I too have noticed that my eastlink HD is not full screen HD anymore, it's been that way for over a week now, I called Eastlink tonight and explained the problem, they did not let on that they were having any issues with the box, but if I go to my tv tuner I get full hd, that's without using the box. So i guess the box goes back for a replacement, hope that solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck but I think you will have the same effect on the new box. It must be firmware related. I just fix it by opening the menu or guide then exit back out and all is OK.

Canadavenyc has a good point about it happening when playing a DVRed show while tuned into a non-HD channel. I'm noticing it now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No difference

It does not matter what i do , change channel, open guide close guide, I just get 4.3 video no matter what.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Problem solved

Well mine was an easy fix, but you would think that the eastlink tecnical support dude I talked to last night would have known about this . The problem was that someone had pressed the "format" button on the front of the dvr box, I found this reference in the manual online on setting up the box. The box was set to output 4.3 to the hdmi port, pressing this button changes this output.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts