Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a suscriber of Rogers HD service and the exterior cable had to be replaced from the pole to the house because of connection issues at the mast on the roof. The quality of the HD picture isn't really good on certain HD channels and I had a Rogers.tech come over to check things out and he acknowledged the issue but said the signal is good but a compression issue. First of all anybody out there having any HD picture quality with Rogers where I live in West end Riverview, NB. Also, I may consider Aliant Fibreoptic as it is available, would i be better off dumping Rogers.

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Yeah, I see the compression on some channels. It's due to their network capacity being maxed out and hopefully will improve now that SDV is apparently finally rolling out.

As for FibreOp, you might want to take a look at the picture at a friends house first. I found the HD picture worse then Rogers when I had it, also due to compression (as its the same signal they serve the DSL TV users). That was quite a while ago so it may have improved, but it's the main reason I'm on Rogers still.

·
Registered
265 Posts
IMO Rogers has the best HD pic quality. I have seen the HD channels on Bell Satellite and Aliant FiberOP and they are not up to Roger's quality. It is the ONLY reason so far that I stick w/Rogers.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I used to live in Riverview and my sister and brother in law still do.

He was all set to switch to FibreOp and had an appointment set and everything.

I suggested he swing by a retailer (SOUNDS FANTASTIC / Wacky's whatever) and check it out because I found the HD channels to be 'soft' in focus and not as crisp and clean as the Roger's signals.

He agreed and ditched the TV portion of FibreOp.

Before you go for the install.. check the quality - you *may* find it's worse than what you have.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell has the best HD picture

woodsie clearly the people who set up the Bell HD tv u saw set it up wrong because Bell has the best HD picture in Canada (besides bell fibe and telus optic tv) unlike rogers bell does not compress their hd channel... bell has a far more supirior picture and way crisper sound because they do not compress. if u connect both services up to a computer and view the bit rates u will see that bell also has a higher bitrate than rogers does.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
davidrye, if you actually did connect to a computer you would see that your statements are completely false. BTV changes their signal to 720P and the bitrate for most HD channels is down around 10 Mbps on average due to transponder limitations, while Rogers doesn't compress many channels and the ones that it does compress are about 13 Mbps.

Here's the (very long) BTV picture quality thread - take some time to familiarize yourself with some facts before posting completely erroneous information.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=102020

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
265 Posts
David,

Yes I did see it on a good TV and one that WAS set up correctly. BTV's 720p is inferior to Rogers no matter where I see it as a matter of fact. 57 has provided you the correct info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts