Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is the HD picture quality on CFMT (Omni1) and CJMT (Omni2) subpar? It almost seems like its just 480p widescreen.

I've noticed this with the following series (all of which is in much better HD quality on other stations); King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Office, How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men

Can anyone comment if they have the same issue. I currently receive them via cable (Source Cable Hamilton).

·
Registered
13 Posts
CFMT and CJMT are indeed not broadcasting yet in 1080 HD. Their master controls still have some non-HD equipment.

The Citytv master control in the same building was built with HD equipment when Rogers bought City. I am not sure at which point they will update the equipment in the Omni master controls.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
It's not just you.

Add The Late Show with David Letterman to the list.

Lots of posts on OMNI subpar simsubs in the Faulty HD Simsub Log:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58228

Personally, I don't watch OMNI stations at all due to the poor picture quality.

My complaints (copied to the above thread) to the CRTC, Rogers and [Rogers owned] OMNI were fruitless.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
That's interesting greenteaicedtea, since in their July 24/09 letter to me OMNI stated:

Please note that OMNI’s broadcast of this program [The Late Show with David Letterman] is in 1080i, 16:9 with stereo audio. The CBS HD signal is also 1080i, 16:9 but with 5.1 surround sound. With respect to simultaneous signal substitution requirements, the content and quality of the signals are 95% identical. We have met the Commission’s tests and, as such, the simultaneous signal substitution is both appropriate and required.
If your information is accurate, then it would seem that OMNI has not been factual with the CRTC in addressing simsub complaints like mine.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I got the same response back. At least they didn't lie about the fact that they don't broadcast in surround sound.

But it would explain a lot of things if they indeed don't have HD equipment in their broadcast facilities. Some of the shows they hijack look like VHS quality at times, including "Minute It To Win It" and "Let's Make a Deal".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rogers has moved Omni and City's Toronto production to the same building at Yonge and Dundas, and the old Omni building still houses the master control of both Omnis, Citytv, and a couple of digital channels.

If they move the master control to a new building, then Omni's master control will probably be updated to 1080 HD. I think that they were not sure if or when the master control was moving, and did not want to invest in putting in wiring and new gear only to rip it out again.

The Omni/City edit suites and studios have HD equipment, it's just the Omni master controls that do not have all HD equipment. I don't know anything about the feeds coming in nor do I know anything about where the simsub changes happen.

·
Registered
954 Posts
What a world of difference tonight between watching Letterman on CBS directly, vs. watching it on OMNI. Both are showing Letterman, but CBS' airing was delayed by the Masters highlights (I'm surprised OMNI didn't wait for the simsub chance anyways by airing filler material while CBS was showing the highlights), and so a direct comparison can be made between the two, and it's not even remotely funny how bad the picture quality looks on OMNI.

·
Registered
954 Posts
This is the latest response I received from a rep at OMNI:

"I have spoken to operations and we are in the planning and installation stages of all our channels. All OMNI stations will launch their Digital Transmitter no later then Aug 31 of 2011. As well, we are also rebuilding our internal infrastructure to ensure the highest quality audio and video is delivered to all our viewers."

What does the digital transmitter have to do with how signals are sent over cable? And does this mean right now they are not sending out signals in HD, especially for shows that are simsubbed like David Letterman? What a vague response.

They also stated:

"OMNI Television is still working on further improvements."

So the fact that they are working on improving things tells me that they are not fully satisfied and not fully yet where they should be in terms of video and audio quality.

When I phoned into Rogers to complain the last time during the Masters highlights show, even the rep that took my call who works in technical support noted that the picture quality did look worse on OMNI in comparison to CBS. So even Rogers' own employee stated that OMNI looks bad! And the fact that Rogers owns OMNI's and carries out the simsubs as a provider is a text book case of "conflict of interest". Of course they are going to say everything looks fine because they want the simsub revenue for their channel, and also at the same time they want to reach more viewers with their own ads for the cable / phone / Internet services.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts