Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the picture quality on some HD channels has deteriorated in the last little while? I have had HD for 2 1/2 years now and generally have been quite pleased with it. Trying to watch the first series game on SNET last night was painfull. Switched to Fox and it was better but still not like it used to be. After watching Dan Rather on HDNET today am wondering why all HD channels cannot be more like this one. Perfect in my opinion........I'm just venting a little.....but after last nights, and tonights Series pics on SNET...its very disappointing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ya TSN-HD looks like garbage. just looking at the ticker during sportscenter, you can see all the compression artifacts around the numbers. I think it's because of the new NHL PPV and Center Ice hockey channels they have added. And maybe 'The Frame' HD channel as well. Disapointing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same problem. Called *choice and they say it's from the orginal broadcast feed and nothing to do with *C. Called my friend who has the same channel from Rogers and he say's it,s a perfect picture. :confused:

·
Registered
373 Posts
"it's from the orginal broadcast feed and nothing to do with *C"

Typical BS that satisfies 73% of their customers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quality has definitely dropped substantially

I have had HD from the beginning with Rogers and definitely the quality is down. I remember thinking the only analogue channel that could possibly compare to HD was CIBC Hockey on Saturday night. Now there is hardly a difference between HD and non-HD and it is the HD channels that have come down not the otehr way around. I also agree HDNET is always good. At least the cost have gone down with wider circulation. What a load of bull.

I am on the fringe and have not made the OTA investment yet but it seems like the only way to get top quality that I know is and was possibly.

Is there any place to complaint to the CRTC. The lack of competition that just adds to consumer apathy is appalling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I have Bell HD & Starchoice HD .It still looks better than on Bell HD though so it could be worse, as I always notice its softer on Bell & the grass always seems to be "moving" and flickering. Same with hockey too as the ice always "moves" and flickers. Though I do agree *C overall HD quality has dropped slightly.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've found sporting events to be hit and miss, but TSN HD and CBC HD haven't been as good as SN so far this season for HD hockey IMO.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I find that if the station you are watching is the original broadcaster the HD quality is good. A TSN or CTV pickup of an original ESPN or US network broadcast loses something.

Nothing beats the quality of Sunday Night Football on NBC in terms of live events IMO.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The Hamilton/Calgary football game on TSN HD tonight is of fantastic quality for me tonight.Although I did find the quality of the World series on SN the other night not so good,so I turned it over to Fox.I find most of the live sporting events are of very good quality but lately I've noticed a slight degradation of the regular tv shows.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first two games of the World Series on SportsNet were of terrible quality. I cant remember seeing anything on SN that bad. Fox was much better. Yes the CFL games on TSN are generally very good considering they have so many differeant lighting conditions from city to city. I'm just a little pissed at SportsNet for offering us that crappy picture of Series games and driving us to Fox. Will be interesting tomorrow in Philidelphia to see what kinda pic they have.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm so sick of the Nikon ad running on Snet (the one with the Who blasting 10db louder than the previous programming), that i'm watching Fox now.

·
Super Moderator
56,440 Posts
If some of the channels on your provider are good, then it's unlikely that the service provider is at fault. If the provider were, then all the HD channels would look poor. HDNet, Discovery, provide good quality signals and you can tell.

See the following previous thread on the variations in HD:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44772

As for SportsNet, please see the following thread which indicates some sort of issue they have with bringing in programming:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90093

Ranting here and discussing the CRTC isn't really helpful if you don't understand what's really happening. For example, people ranting about Rogers compressing HD, when they are the one provider in Canada who does not compress HD channels!

"it's from the orginal broadcast feed and nothing to do with *C"

Typical BS that satisfies 73% of their customers.
To a significant degree, the CSR was correct, although there is some minor compression by *C, that's not what's causing the significant problems with channels like SN. So, although 27% of the people may not be satisfied with the "BS", it's not BS, it's true! Had the CSR said it has "little" instead of "nothing" to do with *C, the comment would have been completely accurate.

Another contributing factor to people believing that HD quality is going down is the fact that when they first got HD, it was new and looked great compared to what they had been seeing. After viewing HD for a while, it starts to become the norm and anything that's not excellent, then starts looking mediocre.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I think there was a very slight decrease in PQ when *C moved to 8PSK, but it's been the same since then.

Also, Sportsnet has been having some serious issues lately, that affect all providers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
"If some of the channels on your provider are good, then it's unlikely that the service provider is at fault"

This is not entirely true. Depending on which medium SC uses to carry signals, some decrease in quality can appear without putting the provider (CBS, FOX, whatever) at fault. You have to remember that US networks have no control over how their feed is distributed, while HDnet Canada (which has a license with CRTC) does. If HDnet says it's fiber or nothing, SC will get fiber carriage to their uplink while they can use rabbit ears for US networs, and uncompress and recompress the signal the way they want.

If a channel is bad on a provider and good on another one, it means the first provider is not doing everything it should to avoid losses on the way.

·
Super Moderator
56,440 Posts
You're dreaming. HDNet doesn't get special treatment - BTV changes their format from 1080i to 720P for example. Although there could be minor differences, as I mentioned earlier, the major differences between channels are coming from the "broadcaster", or the original material, not the service provider.

The only time this is not the case is if different bandwidth is provided to different channels, which does happen with some service providers, but that manifests itself as compression artifacts, not (static) PQ in the sense most people mean it.

You then need to find out the bandwidth for that channel and see if that's the cause of the PQ issues. I believe that *C has similar bandwidth across the HD channel spectrum, but I'd like to hear from someone who has measured it with a computer.

We do know that SportNet has had issues and that was one of the channels that was singled out (see the OP) in this discussion, so that is not related to the service provider.

·
Registered
373 Posts
"You're dreaming. HDNet doesn't get special treatment"

Do you know which contract is signed between providers and HDnet ? I personnally don't and this was a supposition, therfore the "If" word that started my phrase. The reason I picked HDnet is that they care about how their signal is broadcasted as they want to be a good demo of what HD should be. All I know is that some providers use fiber to carry their channels and others don't. And depending on who the channel belongs to, fiber will be used or not. They usually are better with their own channels.

"BTV changes their format from 1080i to 720P for example."

It doesn't mean they don't get the signal with fiber. It also proves my point that a provider can screw up the signal while another doesn't.

Since I don't have Sportsnet, I can't comment on that channel. The fact is that all HD PQ has decreased at some point across all channels. And some channels are worse than others.

"but I'd like to hear from someone who has measured it with a computer"

Not sure if this is possible. Isn't SC signal encoded in proprietary format that you're not allowed to decode ? Anyone posting such results if he could actually measure bandwith may become outlaw.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts