Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

381 - 400 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just discovered something else: transparent onscreen displays. So now I can actually see through the too-long info banner into the CNN or CJOH news banner. And the video is visible through the Guide INFO box. Wonder if there is a transparency setting now somewhere?

·
Registered
21 Posts
No need to always double-click the Guide button to get the full screen guide.

Goto: Options --> Preferences --> User Settings & Appearance --> Guide Width

Now you can set it to full screen permanently.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good point, sir; but unless I'm searching ahead to see what's on much later (like, this past Sunday, since the time change, which left us Shaw East users two hours behind!) I personally still often like to see the show description in the right, while surfing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, you're absolutely right about the show description, Mike. I hadn't played around with the new guide long enough to realize how much I missed it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have to say that I too like the pop-ups, though there should be an option to disable them for those that want it. Still waiting for my 600's to be targeted!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I like the full screen guide. I use the guide to find programs to set up recordings and the lengthened time shown along with the skip forward one screen is just what I need. I wish that when the picture was taken off the screen, the sound would be muted also.

One would think that with these new "alerts" being put in, they would have added an alert for when there was a conflict with 3 things being scheduled to record and it isn't going to record one of them. That is a feature that is sadly lacking! Whenever you have a number of things being recorded at the same time, particularly if some of them last more than an hour, you have to go check that there are no conflicts and even then, the machine makes changes after you check.

I don't know if this feature was there before but I discovered that when adding time to finishing late you can add 10 minutes by using the FF button.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't mind the recording announcement, but it only need to be up for 2 seconds or so. I haven't timed it, but it seems to be up for about 10 secs.
An option for on/off would be nice though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One thing I have noticed with the update is there seems to be a bit more delay in the unit responding to commands. I have several sequences programed into my Harmony remote that worked before but I have had to add delays at certain places to get them to work now. For example, I have a sequence to turn closed caption on and off. When I used it the with the update, it missed one of the down commands and I ended up changing the language. Inserting a delay after the second OK fixed that but then I discovered I needed to put in another delay before the EXIT to get back to the regular picture. It works now but a 9 step sequence has become 11 steps and takes a few seconds longer.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Interesting about the delay in response you had after the update. 2-3 months ago I had to slow down my Harmony remote because of missed button responses. After the update - no change.

I still get "buffering" of button presses - nothing happens so I push the button again and again. Then - bloop: all the button presses fall out of somewhere and happen in very quick succession. I don't know if that happens with the Shaw remote.

This only happens once in a while.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have on occasion had "button buffering" as well. Not sure what causes it but I think it has only happened since the most recent update. Also have had a couple spontaneous reboots but my PVR is now hovering around 60% full. Time maybe to delete a few programs that I will not have time to watch.

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
For those with remote control issues, make sure you don't have any IR interference issues - discussed in the link below. New firmware can sometimes change the sensitivity of the IR "eye". (of course it could also be slowness of the device with firmware that is bogged down due to inadequate STB capabilities)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello all,
I just wanted to let you know that if you've been hit and missed the download opportunity you can push the download anytime. Just enter System Status in the Preferences section and press C button.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would have liked there to be a favorites list. I also got this concern from some friends that are parents. The XXX movie channels have graphic explanations just in the open guide.

381 - 400 of 403 Posts