Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to hd and when i am viewing a hd channel in the info pane it will say hd normal and sd normal but the sd normal has an amber rectangle around it am i watching hd or sd please help

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
It's basically to allow you to stretch or zoom a picture. Some people prefer a stretched SD 4:3 ratio image, so it fills the entire screen (no bars on either side when viewing on a 16:9 ratio HD TV).

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
With Bell TV, you are watching an HD Show, when the title of that show has the letters "HD" in front of the show name.

Just because you are watching on an HD channel does not mean the show is in HD.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Here's the FAQ on HD Programming:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76068

Here's a useful post for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

Pressing the * button allows you to cycle through the various stretch modes and the STB will remember the mode separately for SD and HD channels, however, these days with most people watching mostly HD, I recommend leaving both at "normal" for the best picture quality and no distortion.

·
Banned
262 Posts
To add to the confusion, tv's have their own aspect ratio controls, independent of the receivers. Preferring to see the whole picture, unstretched, I keep both sets of controls 'normal'. The picture is smaller, but I see it all, the way it should look, adjusting for individual shows and films on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just because the show has HD on the title in guide doesn't mean it's HD either. 95% of the time that is correct, but there have been instances where Hell's Kitchen or The Amazing Race has shown in Bell's guide as "HD - The Amazing Race". The only thing HD on the Race is the odd commercial, not the show itself, although that's changing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The opposite error also occurs occasionally, where the title in the guide lacks an "HD-" prefix, even though the show really is HD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts