Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
EnderWiggin said:
If you have the 20 channels for $20 package, you can drop the SD Discovery channel...
I do have the 20 for $20. Tried doing that but the CS rep wouldn't let me drop SD Discovery b/c I need it in order to have HD Extra. I tried arguing and asked to speak to her manager, but she said the answer would be the same. No clue if this is total BS or not ...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood, I didn't know you wanted to drop SD-Discovery but keep the HD Extra...

On the topic of dropping channels, I love the way we can add new speciality channels (i.e., TMN) on-line but if you want to drop them, you always have to call Customer Service by phone. And they usually try to convince you buy something else ("Have you considered adding/changing/enhancing....") in a desperate sales pitch...

·
Registered
69 Posts
i got the letter yesterday and i was very pissed, I had been looking for it for a while and i saw that it was there but nothing was playing so i was all excited waiting for the launch of the new 24/7 HD Discovery..I hate when they say in the letter that they have made the decision to protect our clients interests and that the HD lineup is developed to grow in 2006 etc.. whatever :rolleyes:

how exacly does this help us? we pay 5.99$ for hd channels, now we have one less channel.. where is our rebate or replacement channel?

and they didn't tell us before doing it.. they also did not offer anything in return.. and the SD discovery still works.. you'd think if they boycot one channel they'd do the same to the otehr..

What i hate is that across the bridge they have it with rogers.. didn't rogers "buy" videotron a while ago? not necessarly buy, but somewhat had the same services etc....

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, I received the following reply from the CRTC today concerning my complaint for Videotron's pulling of DisHD:

Thank you for contacting the CRTC with your concerns that Videotron has dropped Discovery HD from its channel lineup.

First I have to note that Discovery HD is licensed as a Category 2 digital channel and as such, is not considered a mandatory or "must carry" channel. Once a cable company has fulfilled its mandatory channel carriage obligations, we don't get involved in the packaging decisions of licensees. All that remains is that they ensure that all subscribers are in receipt of a preponderance of Canadian services.

Although your message does not appear to raise any regulatory concerns we still expect that Videotron will be sensitive to the concerns of their subscribers. This is why I am taking the liberty of forwarding a copy of your message to Videotron, asking that they copy us on their direct response to you.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My reply from Videotron.... Same blablabla. If you can read between the line, you can probably imagine Videotron making a new HD Plus package, with Discovery and Nat Geo, for a nice 9.99/month...
Sorry about the answer in French. But I guess that most Videotron subscribers are located in Quebec, and can at least read some french...

Monsieur XxXxXxX,

Nous vous remercions d'avoir pris le temps de nous écrire.

Le poste Discovery-HD a dû être retiré de nos services suite à une modification de convention de la part du fournisseur de ce service. Nous sommes actuellement en réévaluation de la situation pour arriver à une entente de diffusion. Nous n'avons toutefois pas plus de renseignement à ce sujet actuellement.

Il n'y aura pas de diminution de tarification pour le service HD-Extra suite au retrait de Discovery-HD. Le service HD-Extra était au départ 5,99 $ et comprenait 3 postes HD. Nous avons au cours des mois ajouté TSN-HD et Discovery-HD au forfait HD-Extra sans toutefois augmenter le prix et ce, malgré les coûts de redevance alors plus élevés suite à l'ajout de ces canaux. Vous comprendrez donc que nous ne baisserons pas le tarif de ce service suite au retrait d'un poste.

Nous avons toutefois noté votre commentaire concernant le retrait de ce poste et l'avons transmis au département concerné.

Le poste Discovery, en analogique et numérique, demeure disponible.

Lorsqu'il y aura des développements au sujet de la diffusion du poste Discovery-HD, nous vous informerons de la situation.

Veuillez prendre note que nous avons fait parvenir un avis à toute notre clientèle abonnée à ce service lorsque nous avons pris connaissance de la situation. Si vous n'avez pas reçu cet avis, n'hésitez pas à nous le demander.

Nous vous remercions de votre compréhension.

Lyne Gagné
Services administratifs Vidéotron
[email protected]
Notre site Internet : < http://www.videotron.com >

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Really bad google translation:
Mr XxXxXxX, We thank you for having taken time to write to us. The Discovery-HD station had to be withdrawn from our services following a modification of contract on behalf of the supplier of this service. We are currently in revaluation of the situation to arrive at an agreement of broadcast. We currently do not have however more information on this subject. There will be no reduction in price for the HD-Extra service following the withdrawal of Discovery-HD. The HD-Extra service was at the beginning 5,99 $ and included/understood 3 stations HD. We have during month added Tsn-hd and Discovery-HD to the HD-Extra fixed price without however increasing the price and this, in spite of the higher costs of royalty then following the addition of these channels. You will thus understand that we will not lower the subscription fee of this service following the withdrawal of a station. We however noted your comment concerning the withdrawal of this station and transmitted it to the department concerned. The Discovery station, into analog and digital, remains available. When there are developments about the addition of the Discovery-HD station, we will inform you of the situation. Please take note that we forwarded an opinion all to our subscribed customers to this service when we took note of the situation. If you did not receive this opinion, do not hesitate with us to ask it. We thank you for your comprehension.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Original English version from videotron

Original English version from videotron:

Thank you for having taken the time to write us.

The channel Discovery-HD had to be withdrawn from our services following a change in the contract made by the supplier of this service.

There will be no reduction in the rate of the HD-Extra service following the withdrawal of Discovery-HD. The HD-Extra service started at the rate of $5.99 and included three HD channels. In the following months we added TSN-HD and Discovery-HD to the HD-Extra package without increasing the price and this in spite of higher licence fees following the addition of these channels. You will understand that we therefore will not be lowering the rate of this service following the withdrawal of a channel.

However, we have taken note of your comments concerning the withdrawal of this channel and have sent them to appropriate department.

The channel Discovery, both analogue and digital, remains available.

Should changes occur concerning the broadcasting of the channel Discovery-HD, we will let you know of the situation.

Please note that we sent a notice to all our customers who subscribed to this service when we became aware of the situation.

Thank you for your understanding.

·
Banned
173 Posts
It tooks some time but I just got a reply to my email to Discovery, here it is.

Code:
Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns about the
new Discovery HD channel and your frustration in not being able to subscribe
to the channel through Videotron.

We are currently in negotiations with Videotron and appreciate that
subscribers are interested in the new and exciting programming on Discovery
HD.  We sincerely hope to reach an agreement soon and have the service
resume for Videotron subscribers.  

Again, thanks for the feedback and your interest in Discovery HD.

Sincerely,
Jodi Cook

Jodi Cook
Manager, Programming Communications
Discovery Channel, OLN - Outdoor Life Network
Discovery HD, Animal Planet, Discovery Civilization Channel, CTV Travel
channel.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Discovery answer

Last december 28th, I wrote to Discovery channel to seek an explanation as to why the HD discovery was no longer available from Videotron. I felt compelled to do this since videotron had various reasons, all different one from another and I wanted to know the Discovery channel version....

I received their answer today and it does look very promising and now matches what videotron is now saying to their customers.... Here is the copy of that answer. I remove the name and contact information as per the forum rules....

Dear Mr. Michel,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns about the new Discovery HD channel and your frustration in not being able to subscribe to the channel through Videotron.

We are currently in negotiations with Videotron and appreciate that subscribers are interested in the new and exciting programming on Discovery HD. We sincerely hope to reach an agreement soon and have the service resume for Videotron subscribers.

Again, thanks for the feedback and your interest in Discovery HD.

Sincerely,

May I had that videtron kept the channel 664 open and set for HD discovery which is a sign that they intend to come up with a satisfactory agreement with them....

·
Registered
21 Posts
The return of Discovery HD...but at what cost?

I am confident Discovery HD will be back....but will we be charged more for it?
Probably yes...I don't see how Videotron would cut down on their profit and there is no doubt Discovery HD will cost more to them than what was expected the 1st time. I think I speak for the majority of the folks with the HD package when I say that it is poorly bundled and definitely offer that way
to kind of force the price on us. Like everyone else I only watch 1/2-1/3 of the channels on that package. If I could buy HD a la carte...I would probably only get Discovery HD and TSNHD....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree, a la carte would be nice, but I would probably also go for the US broadcasts, including PBS. Wouldn't Discovery Kids, Animal Planet and National Geographic be awesome in HD, will I live to see the day?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree .. a la carte is the way to go...People have different interests.
All US nets, TSN HD and RSN HD are vital to us.
We don't care at all about Discovery HD but we would not mind paying a few bucks more for Moviepix HD.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are definitively some jerks out there that take us for idiots.
Why can't Videotron broadcast it for free until July like BEV?
Some folks will move to BEV for DiscHD and then later in July Videotron
is going to start offering DIscHD?

·
Registered
333 Posts
JLACH said:
Why can't Videotron broadcast it for free until July like BEV?
Not that I'm one to defend videotron for screwing us over, but its entirely possible that BEV can do this because they committed to offering the channel at Disc's asking price. I don't think Disc would permit free viewing until they come to an agreement with videotron.

BTW, anyone notice that videotron rubbed salt in the wound with a price increase. That's like GM removing the air-conditioning and increasing the prices on their cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Apparently, Discovery HD will be back on Videotron on Feb. 16 and will be free until July. After that, the channel will cost 3.99$.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
jfdube said:
Apparently, Discovery HD will be back on Videotron on Feb. 16 and will be free until July. After that, the channel will cost 3.99$.
...and you get this info from?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Memo sent from a supervisor to another Videotron employee. As seen on another forum. Furthermore, I did get a letter from Videotron yesterday, stating pretty much the same thing (other than the price).

101 - 120 of 125 Posts