Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Stan1020 said:
will be writing the CRTC as well. Hopefully enough people will write in and get this decision changed.
My basis of my complaint to the CRTC is that they gave the licence to Discovery for that channel and they should make sure it is available to all canadians, regardless of the supplier....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too am very, very disappointed by this decision from Videotron.

However, let's be realistic: the provider of a service, such as Discovery, can charge what it wants for its service. The distributor, such as Videotron, can either offer the service separately after marking it up, or as part of a bundle on which they include a profit.

The real issue is whether or not we want to buy the service for the price it would be available at. This is where everybody needs to balance greed and reason.

In this specific case, I think Videotron might have overreacted to a demand it has received from Discovery. When it comes from Bell, even indirectly, they tend to overreact. I do not think they would have aired the new HD signal at all had they known the price hike beforehand.

IMO, the things to do are:

1. Ensure with the CRTC that Discovery is not overcharging Videotron compared to other distributors such as Rogers or BEV

2. Ensure with the CRTC that Videotron fully complies with all the "must carry" rules for Discovery HD, if any

3. Given the above 2 are met: get Videotron to at least offer us the option to pay for Discovery HD.

My 2¢.

Paul.

·
Registered
333 Posts
hugh said:
dynot said:
It is practices like this that encourage piracy and I for one won't blame anyone who does.
There is never an excuse for stealing satellite signals and promoting it on these forums will get you banned.
I'm fully aware of the posting rules here and carefully choose my words to abide by them. Show me where I promoted this and I'll retract my statements.

The point I made is that these practices encourage piracy. Don't criticize me for making a statement which attempts to explain this activity.

The fact that I wouldn't blame someone who does this is of personal ethical choice. I believe Bell induldges in unfair business practices and therefore have no sympathy for them for whatever reason. That's why I switched to Videotron and yet, they still found a way to stick it to me!

So if you want to ban me let's call it like it is and blame my complacency as opposed to promoting illegal activities.

Now...if I had said everyone should do this, that's another story.

For the record...I'd rather be discussing the topic of this post.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
pbir said:
I too am very, very disappointed by this decision from Videotron.
IMO, the things to do are:

1. Ensure with the CRTC that Discovery is not overcharging Videotron compared to other distributors such as Rogers or BEV

2. Ensure with the CRTC that Videotron fully complies with all the "must carry" rules for Discovery HD, if any

3. Given the above 2 are met: get Videotron to at least offer us the option to pay for Discovery HD.

I fully agree and endorse your post. The point is that we do not know for sure why Videotron took that decision. It seems to me very unlikely that Discovery called them the next morning after they started the service to increase their fees or change the rules....Videotron web page indicated that new service, that new station ( they have now removed it) so I have to presume that an agreement was reached before they started broadcasting it....Acting otherwise would be to say the least very unprofessional....What I am pissed is that we do not even have the option to take it, whatever the cost. Rogers offers it , so does Bev (of course) and for the people that already had the regular Discovery, there is no extra cost....I have the regular discovery and yet, they were forcing me into a HD package that I didn't need or want but I couldn't care less since I wanted Discovery HD... What I say is at least offer it, no regards to cost....Right now, we do not have that option. There is something Videotron is not telling us...I sure hope they won't do the same when National geographic will come out with their HD channel next january...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well put, Michel.

Is it possible that Videotron is waiting for the NG HD channel in the hopes that they can offer both as a package? From what little I've seen of DiscHD and the SD channel of NG I would most certainly pay an additional fee for this pair.

Makes no business sense at all that Videotron wouldn't offer either channel. Based on the reactions on this forum it looks like the demand is there. Maybe I'm just an optimist but this would lead me to believe that eventually these channels will be available to us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Videotron is now saving money

Well all said and done, I understand videotrons dilema, but. This is a big BUT. They signed a contract with us. Period, no questions. We are paying for that service. If it is no longer viable to provide that service they should reimburse us each (the ones that are paying for that channel), all the money that they are saving by not paying it to Discovery.

We are still paying for it after all.

All the best and a merryxmas. I will be writing the crtc!

·
Registered
260 Posts
this is another reason to hate bell, I got half my fellow workers to switch from bell and go videotron internet,phone,illico because they(bell) are such control freeks ,just put out a good reliable product at a fair price and mabey then we'll think about bell. I can't believe I may move next year to a complex that does not allow videotron this action by bell makes me want to stay where I am.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about the bandwith

I know that in the process of broadcasting a channel the is also some company who ask to have a certain amount of the bandwith, i think it's possible that discovery has not incresed the price but the demand of bandwith to Videotron

If Videotron can't provide it they can have to remove some other channels so maybe it is better for the customers to lose 1 channel then 2 or 3 other

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Judge said:
Well all said and done, I understand videotrons dilema, but. This is a big BUT. They signed a contract with us. Period, no questions. We are paying for that service. If it is no longer viable to provide that service they should reimburse us each (the ones that are paying for that channel), all the money that they are saving by not paying it to Discovery.

We are still paying for it after all.

All the best and a merryxmas. I will be writing the crtc!
Actually, you are not losing Discovery at all. It is still there but you cannot get the HD discovery...

V3rse said:
I know that in the process of broadcasting a channel the is also some company who ask to have a certain amount of the bandwith, i think it's possible that discovery has not incresed the price but the demand of bandwith to Videotron

If Videotron can't provide it they can have to remove some other channels so maybe it is better for the customers to lose 1 channel then 2 or 3 other
That could be actually...but they won't say what is the reason....At any rate, for best resolution on a HD channel, you cannot put more than two HD chanells per QUAM... That may be the problem....but frankly, I could give a r*t's a** what the problem is, The fact of the matter is that the Bev and Rogers customers have it and we don't....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh and Mike guess what? I signed up for Hd knowing I was getting that channel. An paying for it as I still am okay

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Judge said:
yes we are loosing the channel, in HD christ Mike? wanna get picky? we are loosing. right?

Well, I am picky and I am pissed off 'cause I also signed up for their HD package only because of discovery HD...The rest was of no interest to me...I signed up the day before they took it out...So I of course cancelled the next day and not a single penny was charged...But now, I understand what you mean...When you signed up (sometime ago) it was presumed that the Discovery HD would be included when it became available and it was....for 3 days....Under that new light, you are right, you should be reimbursed the totality of what you paid as they sold you something with "false advertising"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Michel

Yeah and sorry for getting upset with your reply,
we all understand each other after all. Merci mon ami, est Bonne Annee est Jouex noel

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Michel said:
I fully agree and endorse your post. The point is that we do not know for sure why Videotron took that decision. It seems to me very unlikely that Discovery called them the next morning after they started the service to increase their fees or change the rules....Videotron web page indicated that new service, that new station ( they have now removed it) so I have to presume that an agreement was reached before they started broadcasting it...
The DiscoveryHD, channel # 664, has always been part of package "HD Extra". The change that took place was from Discovery... instead of the odd HD format from time to time for their programs, this week they started supplying Videotron with HD 24/24. (Some programs shown recently, we had viewed them before).

Videotron, on the other hand, demonstrated its resistance by not putting up the new IPG for that channel which Rogers did, in their case.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
V3rse said:

Channel # 664 was already supplied in excellent Mbps bitrate. That did not change and when we started getting the 24/24 HD programs, everyone was pleased with the picture quality. The bitrate is there and that is not the problem.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Judge said:
Yeah and sorry for getting upset with your reply,
we all understand each other after all. Merci mon ami, est Bonne Annee est Jouex noel
That is OK, no problem Judge... I actually like hot tempers, they are more interesting LOLOL.... Joyeux Noël and happy new year to you too... :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not sure if it was there before but Videotron's website does not list DiscHD in their HD channel line-up.

Time to write the CRTC. There's gotta be some regulation against doing this without reimbursing the client. We should all do this....strength in numbers!

EDIT---> Just noticed this was posted in French forum. Apparently the channel was removed from the site yesterday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From Vidéotron:

Nous vous remercions d'avoir pris le temps de nous écrire.

Nous avons été informés que suite à la modification du service haute définition effectué par le poste Discovery, nous devons présentement retirer ce service.

Notre service haute définition est un des moins chers actuellement disponibles. Les frais de location par canaux facturés à notre clientèle sont moins élevés qu'ailleurs.

Les nouvelles exigences du poste Discovery HD nous oblige actuellement à retirer ce poste de notre programmation haute définition. Nous ignorons pour le moment quand ce poste sera de nouveau offert et à quelles conditions de location.

Nous avons toutefois noté votre intérêt pour ce poste.

Le poste Discovery analogique et numérique demeure toutefois disponible.

Nous vous remercions de votre compréhension.

(I removed her name)
Services administratifs Vidéotron
[email protected]
Notre site Internet : < http://www.videotron.com >

Montréal : (514) 281-1711
Québec : (418) 847-4410
Chicoutimi : (418) 545-1114
Hull : (819) 771-7715
Sans frais : 1-877-380-2511

21 - 40 of 125 Posts