Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I won't post in the new thread, I'll keep this one alive.

A TON of ads on NBC. Target, ExxonMobil, Chevy (I think).

But the most impressive, was for The DaVinci Code! Looks like an excellent movie, on an excellent HD, 5.1 commercial.
SELL YOUR MOVIE ON HD should be the slogan from the networks to the studios (although I know that most stations are owned by the same companies that own the studios.) Not having HDNet for the movie trailer HD show, it's a big deal when I see an HD trailer outside the Superbowl.

·
Registered
180 Posts
MS .....aahhh

since the later thread is closed..... The MS commercial with the early morn. scenes I had seen on SD and never noticed but in HD wow. Now living in a dry/cooler climate and seeing those Cool Humid mornings before a hot scorcher of a day displayed on the widescreen brought me back. It very nicely shot.
On another note it's always funny watching an HD WS broadcast and seeing a movie commercial Letterboxed. It leaves a negative impression on me.
I saw the new Camry commercial is in WS not HD.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I've seen a couple lately, but the most impressive was my first HD commercial on Canadian TV...it was for MI:3 on SNET yesterday. Very cool.

Also, Toyota Camry during Invasion. I see more on ABC than on any other network.

·
Registered
67 Posts
saw a Toyota Yaris commercial and a Gillette Fusion commercial in HD during Prison Break. Have yet to see an HD movie trailer, I sort of want to.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Greetings all,
Last night I saw an HD commercial for Lexus, I believe it was during the intermission on ABC during "Lost". ( not sure)!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure if this has been brought up before because I didn't read the whole thread, but WHY are TV shows that are shown in HD advertised in SD??? This baffles me... They have the HD content, they have the HD channel... but they show it in SD? Very odd IMO. Same thing with movie trailors, you know they are available in HD because they are on the Apple website but the HD channels always play them in SD.:confused:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
StickyDragon said:
... but WHY are TV shows that are shown in HD advertised in SD??? This baffles me...
Baffles me too ... if CFMT can do it, why can't major networks?

It also baffles me how an advertiser would let a widescreen commercial be aired in letterbox on an HD channel. The message is always sends to me, is that I am being manipulated. I would thought this would be bad marketing.

Nick

·
Registered
738 Posts
StickyDragon said:
Not sure if this has been brought up before because I didn't read the whole thread, but WHY are TV shows that are shown in HD advertised in SD??? This baffles me... They have the HD content, they have the HD channel... but they show it in SD? Very odd IMO. Same thing with movie trailors, you know they are available in HD because they are on the Apple website but the HD channels always play them in SD.:confused:
Networks and local stations produce their own promos. Most of them do not have any equipment for widescreen SD or HD. Most networks and local stations don't have commercial servers configured for WS SD or HD playback either. These operations are still primarily 4:3 SD with an HD bypass for program content only.

The exceptions in Canada are Sportsnet and Omni that operate in 16:9 widescreen SD and HD. These stations do promos and some commercials in WS SD format with excellent results. They fundamentally operate in widescreen mode for all their in-house production and operate 16:9 master controls. (I have ignored Discovery HD or the movie networks in this comment as they are playback operations without the programming diversity and live capability of a broadcast service.)

This fall we should see more stations in Canada with real 16:9 capability as defined by an ongoing presence of 16:9 material in station breaks, promos and live shows. Some stations will have HD while other will use WS SD.

As far as 16:9 ads are concerned, the advertisers will have to make a decision to get their content to the broadcasters in this format. All the commercial distribution today is in SD 4:3 in Canada. The handfull of true HD commercials are on major US networks so the advertisers may have mades special arrangements to get HD versions delivered.

Perhaps this will help.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was watching CBC this afternoon, and saw a tim hortons ad in WS.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
During the Toronto Blue Jay game today (May 30) there was an HDTV commercial for Gustavo Chacin's new cologne!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Are YOU a Chacin man? haha These Fan590 morning show guys have been joking around about Chacin's last name since last year. They thought it sounded like a good name for a cologne. And they've actually brought it to life.

·
Registered
387 Posts
HD advertisers

I've started taking note of the ads that are letterboxed (that don't use the letterbox for style or for fine print) on HD channels. I've already started emailing various companies which I've seen letterboxed ads, and told them which station I saw their ad on, and that that station is capable of delivering a HD signal, and that they should inquire about giving them the HD version of their ad for them to use on their HD feed. I've had nothing but successful feedback from all who I have contacted (so far, Shaw, Futureshop, Taco Del Mar, and Tim Hortons).

More people doing the same thing, contacting advertisers and asking them to push for HD on HD channels is one way of forcing the networks hand in HD proliferation. They won't bite the hand that feeds them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Blakew,
What a great idea. We should all be doing that. Perhaps we should also send them a link to this 4 page thread as well.

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I saw a couple of Future Shop commercials in HD or WS on several sports channels recently. Can't remember which one(s). RSN, TSN or Other...

I was just surfing by.

Perhaps blakew in post 56 worked...

41 - 60 of 62 Posts