Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I saw two HD commercials today.

One was a "No Frills" commercial on OMNI (may have been upconverted WS).

Another was a "Sony HD" ad on a CBS NFL Football game.

We all remember the "Hey Todd" ad (upcon WS), and another Sony ad, during the Olympics.

I seem to recall a Cadillac ad a while back, as well as a VOOM ad.

Any others?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I saw a Honda ad on CBS a few weeks ago, and I remember that there was a Target ad which I saw on ABC, CBS and NBC a few months ago. Both of the ads looked like upconverted widescreen, not HD, but I'd take 16:9 SD over 4:3 any day.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I saw a few during the superbowl last year... lots of movie trailers. BTW, you won't see any on CTV for a while now since they are not upgrading until the spring (and they will probably not do HD commercials after that either)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
57 said:
Any others?
I've seen quite a few on OMNI. And what is interesting, is that these are not big companies, but local Toronto businesses; one was a ambulance-chasing law firm!

OMNI's approach to HD is quite impressive. All sorts of local programming (mostly foreign-langauge) is being broadcast in HD, station identification is in HD, and even the on-air announcer is in HD (I don't think I've seen any other station use an on-air announcer since the 1970's). The other day I spotted daily syndicated episodes of Everyone Loves Raymond in HD.

They are really putting CTV, Global, CITY, and CBC to shame. And the US stations as well, apart from PBS. If a little TV station in Toronto can broadcast their station identification in HD, how come national networks in the states can't handle it?

And personally, I'm really annoyed at these large corporations, making these faux-HD looking commercials, and then letting them be broadcast in SD on HD stations. A campaign of writing complaints to these companies, threatening not to buy their products because of these commercials would be fun!

Nick

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I don't know the technical specs of what OMNI is broadcasting. I would assume a lot of it is 16x9 upconverts/SD ...HOWEVER, that doesn't negate the fact that I'm extremely impressed at the effort they're putting in.

The HD (?) reruns of King of Queens and Raymond are pretty slick...I don't generally go out of my way to watch either, but still, very cool.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
OMNI is owned by Rogers. OMNI and Rogers Sportsnet seem to be making much more of an effort to go to HD than anyone else in Canada, certainly much more than their rival Bell GlobeMedia (aka CTV, TSN, Discovery). The only thing that Bell GlobeMedia have done that deserves praise is the World Junior Hockey.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
i was watching "the people's choice awards" last night on OTA CBS HD. The show itself wasn't HD but there was a BOUNTY comercial that was... WEIRD!

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Saw, what I'm pretty sure, was my first non-Superbowl HD commercial tonight. I forget exactly what channel it was on, but it was for an Apple iPod. Very Cool. Although they only use 3 colors in the ad (green, black and white), they all showed up nicely, with almost no macroblocking.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
KinStud said:
Saw, what I'm pretty sure, was my first non-Superbowl HD commercial tonight. I forget exactly what channel it was on, but it was for an Apple iPod. Very Cool. Although they only use 3 colors in the ad (green, black and white), they all showed up nicely, with almost no macroblocking.
There was an iPOD commercial during West Wing on NBC-HD from Detroit on Wednesday. I meant to go back, after I saw it, and check to see if it was wide-screen or not ... as I don't think it dawned on me until after I saw it, and I forgot and deleted the program from my PVR. On the other hand, half of West Wing was broadcast in SD on the HD channel that day ... so that wasn't very impressive!

Nick

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Didn't think it warranted a new thread, but there was an HD commercial for American Express during Desperate Housewives. It was one of the 'celebrity signatures' ones starring Kate Winslett.

Very cool. (both the content, and that it was HD)

·
Banned
406 Posts
dcomp11 said:
I saw a Honda ad on CBS a few weeks ago, and I remember that there was a Target ad which I saw on ABC, CBS and NBC a few months ago. Both of the ads looked like upconverted widescreen, not HD, but I'd take 16:9 SD over 4:3 any day.
The Target ads I've seen are definitely HD and not an upconvert.

·
Super Moderator
4,484 Posts
16:9 Commercials

I was watching Cold Case on CBS Seattle last Sunday night and saw an American Express ad with Kate Winslet in wide screen HD.

This is the 1st time I've seen a national commercial in widescreen that was not during the Superbowl. I have seen a few locally produced ads on ABC KOMO 4 Seattle, but this is the first national ad I've seen.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
cgyclaytonmagnet said:
I was watching Cold Case on CBS Seattle last Sunday night and saw an American Express ad with Kate Winslet in wide screen HD.
See post 15 above. :) That commercial's been on a few times, though fairly rarely. It'd be nice to see more of them however.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts