Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK next problem. Suddenly my HD picture on the 6416 is displaying with black bars left and right and a 4:3 square picture, full image top to bottom, not letterbox.
Its the same with recorded programs or live TV on all those HD channels. I know it sees the full widescreen on HD channels because when I open the Guide you get the small widescreen picture of what you're watching up in the corner, where I can see more in the left and right thats missing from the program when I close the Guide. In that small widescreen during the guide I can see the full width where you have the "HD" channel ID watermark in the bottom corners....when I close the guide I get a 4:3 with the sides definately chopped off, no "HD" watermarks, etc.

Its nothing to do with me having to ZOOM or anything, this is definately black bars where there should be image.

I have a Panasonic 42" HDTV Plasma. DCT 6416, all worked great. I checked the TV for anything relevant and nothing to change. I checked the 6416s diagnostic type menu, its still set as 16:9 TV type, 1080i and 4:4 override is 480i as always.

I unplugged both the TV and the 6416 and has not helped. I even took out and replaced the HDMI cable.

What is this, please? Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would try a different input on the TV just to completly rule out any kind of zoom feature also try componant out as we all know hdmi can be very very flaky

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeh, I just did that a few minutes ago, I plugged the HDMI in to another HDMI port on the TV and I get the proper full widescreen picture. I turn things on and off, change channels and go back to a HD channel and it still remembers to be a full widescreen. I plug it back in the other HDMI and its back at 4:3 with sides cut off.

This is wierd, when will the next HDMI input change to 4:3 too. Does something burn out? hope not!

·
Super Moderator
56,635 Posts
TVs often remember settings by input. My guess is that the input with the "problem" has an incorrect aspect ratio in one of the user settings.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 57. Further tonight as we have now plugged the HDMI cable in to the other HDMI port its been ok for a few hours, but switching channels from analog ones and then back to HD ones later suddenly its also showing a 4:3 image on this HDMI input too, with no changes to anything by me. I checked the first HDMI port and its still 4:3 now.
So I just unplugged the power from the TV for a few minutes, holding the power button in to drain any capacitors (worth a try). Plugged it back in and the second HDMI port now displays correctly at 16:9 on HD channels....I just tried the original HDMI port once again, since unplugging the power, and its still 4:3.

So the second HDMI benefited from unplugging the power and reverted back to 16:9.

I have scoured any input settings and can't see how it even has any option to display in 4:3 or 16:9, or any seperate options for each HDMI input....its just done it right until today. I have spent all evening online trying to find answers. My only reasoning is the signal that it gets from the DCT6416 at some point, although moving it immediately to the other HDMI was still in 16:9 though.... I am assuming the 6416 is at fault somehow. this is just started today, otherwise its been fine before. It seems to me the Tv thinks its a SD signal suddenly on HD channels.

Edit: By the way, after unplugging the TV for a while and plugged it back in, when I turned it on it was doing the initial setup again, asking what language, clock, etc. So I assumed it was completely reset back to factory settings, yet one HDMI went back to 16:9 and the HDMI I used originally was still 4:3 to my amazement.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a bad input on the TV, not an STB problem. Have you tried calling Panasonic Service to see if this is a known issue? Internet searches don't always find answers to rare problems.

Do you have another source (like a BluRay) that you could connect to that first HDMI input to see if it still displays in 4:3? I am guessing there is a 'mask engine' problem with that input.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My laptop has HDMI output. I've used that succesfully many times before. So I plug that in the 1st HDMI port on the TV and its 4:3, sides cut off. I plug it in the 2nd HDMI port and its 16:9 (the one I have the 6416 plugged in to at the moment). I plug the laptop in to the HDMI in the front of the TV, under the screen, and its 16:9 and ok.

Looks like the 1st HDMI port and whatever the TV does with it has decided not to work right.

I will unplug everything from the TV all night, power too, see if it reverts back to soome sort of default setup properly tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
988 Posts
What happens to the "bad" input when you cycle through the various options using the "Aspect" button on the Panasonic remote?

·
Super Moderator
56,635 Posts
Another possibility is that one of the HDMI inputs reacts differently to the signals than another. This has been true of the ones marked "PC" for example.

As mentioned, HDMI has a number of issues, so try the following:

1. Set the 4:3 override to "off" instead of 480i. This was discussed in the following Shaw firmware thread which you started.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94473

2. Use component video cables.

3. It is possible that something is wrong...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VuMax, if I press the FORMAT button it does zoom to fill the entire screen, and does the Just, etc, filling the screen, of course everyones stretched one way or the other.

57, yes I had tried changing 4:3 override again with this new problem and didn't fix it. Its back on 480i. The HDMI inputs are just marked "HDMI 1" and "HDMI 2" and of course "HDMI 3". I have seen other TVs with "PC" on the back.

BUT..good news!:) Its fixed. I spent a long time on hold with Panasonic and then spent a minute immediately letting them talk me through a hard reset which fixed it. back to 16:9 on all HD channels on all HDMI inputs.

For your information to do a hard reset on a Panasonic Vierra plasma: Turn TV on, press Volume down button on the TV whilst pressing MENU button on the remote, a "Selfcheck" window will come on screen. Then go and unplug the power to the TV, plug it back in and turn it on. It is back to the way it was out of the box. Now that was what I was trying to figure out as theres nothing in the regular menus to do a hard reset.

I just hope I don't have to do this every week.

Also, Panasonic calls this a glitch!

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Glad to hear you have 'fixed' your problem and thanks for posting the info about the Hard Reset.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts