Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DAMN!! I guess it had to happen eventually. We've been pretty lucky for the past few years.

The US HD channels - CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX, are now sim-sub'd with CTV. That means if the show is on CTV and CBS, the CBS HD channel will now show the CTV feed, which means no more US commercials.

What this means also is that for the Super Bowl, we won't be getting the FOX HD broadcast, but the CTV broadcast.

THIS SUCKS!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Yep. Now that CTV HD is available in Montreal....we knew this would come.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Stan, see if you can pull-in a Fox TV station in high definition from your location with a quality antenna. See the OTA threads to learn more. Then you can get your US ads for the Super Bowl.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was hoping the change would have happened after the Super bowl.

Oh well, lame Canadian commercials, combined with faulty simsubs will now be the norm at Videotron. Can not blame them they are just following the federal regulator’s archaic rules written during the last century.

No chance to have OTA installed in only a few days but maybe something to consider moving forward.

·
Registered
560 Posts
CTV's Operating Strategy

Air US show,
insert Canadian Tire ad,
insert promo for another US show on another US network,
insert Tim Horton's ad,
come back late to original US show,
annoy viewers.

Repeat daily until eternity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is complete BS!!
This pretty much makes Videotron completely useless now.

At least with Bell they have more HD channels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unwatchable

Last week I try to watch, csi NY, Blue Bloods and the Mentalist, those were recorded on CBS but simsubbed by CTV. Those progams were unwatchable there was lagging and mosaic every few minutes, is it only me, is anybody else having same problem, all others programs not simsub were OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same problem as aircan watching CSi NY this past Friday (Feb. 4). There were noticible lagging problems.

Is there any good reason why we should stick with Videotron now?

Since 'simsubbing' now exists with Videotron I am strongly considering switching over to Bell to get more HD channels (especially for those NHL/NFL sports packages)

(BTW: I'm not blaming Videotron for this. I'm just wondering that given these new circumstances/restrictions, is there any point to stay with Videotron?)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've only watched The Mentalist in aircan's list, but yes it was bad. At least half a dozen time there were some mosaic/freezing in scene changes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last week I try to watch, csi NY, Blue Bloods and the Mentalist, those were recorded on CBS but simsubbed by CTV. Those progams were unwatchable there was lagging and mosaic every few minutes, is it only me, is anybody else having same problem, all others programs not simsub were OK.
That's funny, I had recorded Blue bloods last week and then when I watched it I thought it was my PVR. I called Videotron Tech support and they sent a technician to inspect everything. He just changed some cables and connections and said everything should be fine. I would contact Videotron Tech support and let them know this was a bigger problem than just myself and a few people.

T.

·
Banned
44 Posts
I noticed the same thing watching a recording of last weeks Blue Bloods this afternoon. I found the colours washed out, not as vivid as CBS. I have no real issues with Videotron, but I don't like this at all. I have been holding off on putting up an antenna, but I guess I now have a spring project. I called Videotron and they were clueless as usual. Since I watch most TV off the PVR I would be happy if they just offered the Seattle channels in HD, but that went right over the call centre techs head.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well, I just noticed that Global HD doesn't simsub yet on Videotron.
Is it only a matter of time before it does?
Well, Global HD in Montreal is CIII from Toronto, instead of CKMI. Therefore, CMIIW, according to CRTC's simsub rules, can not be used for simsub. For a station to be used for simsub, such station must be available OTA. Obviously, CIII is not available OTA in Montreal.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Bhell simsub's even TSN (they own the channl; so they obviously prefer showing THEIR ads than the US ads).

I was wondering if Vidoétron also simsub's TSN, during the Sunday/Monday night football games on NBC/ESPN?

TSN is NOT a "must carry" channel, and therefore shouldn't be subjected to simsubbing, no?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bhell simsub's even TSN (they own the channl; so they obviously prefer showing THEIR ads than the US ads).

I was wondering if Vidoétron also simsub's TSN, during the Sunday/Monday night football games on NBC/ESPN?

TSN is NOT a "must carry" channel, and therefore shouldn't be subjected to simsubbing, no?
Sunday Night Football, no. NBC (WPTZ) and TSN go on their separate ways.

Monday Night Football, yes. Obviously. ESPN is not available in Canada, is it?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks very much, that answers my question. I should've just asked for Sunday, you're right MNF is only on TSN in Canada.

So, Bhell is pulling a fast one on us... don't know if it's legit or not...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Videotron had a hard time with the simsub of CTV over CBS today...they joined the 4PM game late, about 30 minutes after the game had started (instead of the game, the showed CTV's postgame which is a special edition of Sportscentre). Then, at 7PM, with 5 minutes in the game and the outcome much in doubt, the again simsub CTV's signal over CBS to show 60 Minutes...

According to the CRTC, for substitution to take place, the local or regional TV station has to make a request to the cable - or dth satellite tv - company in advance. It is their responsibility - not the station's - to ensure that signal substitution is performed in a manner that is "virtually invisible to the viewer".
Vidétron is never, ever making it invisible to the viewer. For NFL games, it is now as bad in HD as it used to be in SD with Global simsub 10 years ago...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts