Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on Mediaroom and have only SD TVs-honest! I just noticed that channels 601 to 608 and a few others have appeared. They are DT versions (western feeds) of their SD counterparts (CTV, CBC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc) and are labeled as HD on the guide. They are all letterboxed and are night and day better than their SD channels. Am I supposed to be getting these?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes you are supposed to be getting these. However, they will only appear slightly better then the SD counterparts. They will appear tremendously better on an actual HD TV.

Let me explain, the Telus box does not know what kind of TV you have, it will send your entire list of subscribed channels to ANY TV using ANY wired connection.

The HD channel feed quality is maximized when using a HDMI or component connection to a HD TV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duh...

Thanks for the quick reply...I just figured out that these are all part of the Essentials 'Included HD' but I always assumed that they would look scrambled on an SDTV. I'm using component anyways and I'm glad that for the rest of the World Cup I'll be able to read the names on the the back of the jerseys!:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Moiza67 said:
Let me explain, the Telus box does not know what kind of TV you have, it will send your entire list of subscribed channels to ANY TV using ANY wired connection.
Mediaroom does know what kind of TV you have, or rather, there is a setting so that you can tell it what kind of TV you have.

tony rose said:
I'm using component anyways and I'm glad that for the rest of the World Cup I'll be able to read the names on the the back of the jerseys!
If you only have SD TV's then you aren't using a component video connection. You probably mean composite. No matter what the TV setting is in Mediaroom only SD signals go out on composite and S-Video connections. If your SD TV has an S-Video connection you may get a better picture over composite.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My parents have an SD Sony TV that has component video (RGB) inputs, so such things do exist. The increased resolution of the HD signal would, I expect, be apparent even on an SD set, no matter what the method of signal delivery from the STB to the TV.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Xray, component inputs have existed on many SD TV's for years. I have a 32" SD Toshiba I'm trying to get rid of and it has component inputs.

We replaced all the TV's in our house with HDTV's, but no one wants the old ones these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts