Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a HF100 in mint condition and it appears to be working well. I have found out that my Intel Duo Core(?) machine running around 2ghz doesn't have enough horsepower to play an AVCHD file.... let alone edit it.

I have found a workaround.... A free program I found on Cnet that converts AVCHD into something a cheap 2 yr old computer can play....

http://download.cnet.com/Free-HD-Converter/3000-2194_4-10916061.html by Koyote soft.

It seems to convert/render the video on my machine at about 5-7x real speed. ie. a 1 minute clip might take 5 mins to convert. It says it's processing it at about 5fps.

It converts to a bunch of different formats. I have tried it with only MPEG2HD right now.

What's the best codec to use on a slow machine? I might try to convert my m2ts AVCHD clips into something else (while keeping good quality) and hope my computer can edit HD in a different format... (clip and piece segments together).

P

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What editing software are you using?

Newer versions let you edit in SD and then render in HD later on. This way you can edit HD files on a slower computer

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hugh,

I haven't tried anything yet for my HD files...

I have used Windows Movie maker for my miniDV edits, and my wife's P&S video clips....

What do u recommend?

Peter

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
I recall seeing an article that compared the rendering speeds of various codecs. i will see if I can find it. I seem to recall that MPEG2 was pretty simple (read fast) when compared to H.264, MPEG4 Part II and VC-1.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
There was a thread around here discussing preferred Video editing software. I do very LITTLE editing so I am not the best person to ask. I've used Adobe Premiere Elements and Ulead (Now Corel) in the post with success.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts