Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting Wednesday December 15th, Videotron subscribers of The Movie Network (TMN), HBO Canada, Family Channel and Playhouse Disney will have access to English-language movies and series from these networks as part of their illico on Demand service, at no extra cost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm glad to finally see this but so far there seems to be only a meagre subset of what's supposed to be available as listed on the Movie Network website. Yesterday evening I was looking at the movies listed on the tmn website as being available this week and saw several I considered watching last night (since all the network shows I watch are off until the new year) but then when I went to the Videotron listing on my setup box, only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the movies listed on the tmn web site were there! I didn't check the series last night but when I saw this thread last week and checked, the only series available then were Dexter and Boardwalk Empire and although the web site lists all their episodes as available, only the first 8 of each series were available on the Videotron version of tmn on demand.

So it's nice to see that they're finally adding something but too bad they're not adding everything available. I suppose it's because some of the movies and series are already listed on their own pay on demand service, so they don't want to offer them for free to us, but quite frankly that sucks. As subscribers we're paying for a service others can get but we can't.

·
Registered
302 Posts
wow, thanks I did not realize this at all. The family/disney channel could be great for my kids.

I unsubbed from the movie channels when Netflix came out but I will keep an eye on it

·
Registered
302 Posts
while great that it is free, the navigation, speed and selection leave a lot to be desired.

This won't be getting me to cancel Netflix and resub to TMN anytime soon

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just got a letter in the mail informing of these new services. I had no idea they were already available. I've been downloading boardwalk empire, but I could have been watching it On-Demand? COOL!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I got my letter yesterday as well. I love how they put a long spiel at the beginning about how great they are, how much new stuff they're offering and then break it to you that they're increasing the fee for basic service by $2 and TMN by $2!

I wouldn't mind so much if their TMN/HBO On Demand was a complete offering but it's only about half the titles that TMN web site claims should be there. I keep seeing stuff mentioned as "how on TMN on Demand" on the web site but when I check my illico listing, it's nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just did a comparison of what's available on Videotron TMN/HNO on demand versus what the TMN web site says should be available.

Total titles available:
TMN: 388
Videotron: 164

Available on demand movies
TMN: 73
Videotron: 17

Available on demand series
TMN: 35
Videotron: 17
(I counted different seasons of the same series separately as in several cases TMN offers more than one season, whereas Videotron offers only the latest season, and in several cases, not as many episodes)

So that's a pretty dismal start, especially when they're using it as an "improvement" to justify fee increases!

·
Registered
126 Posts
More wasted bandwidth for a service that most people, myself included, will not be interested.
To each his/her own. Personally I think it's far less wasted bandwidth than pay-per-view, and about 3/4 of the specialty channels that so few people watch, all those galaxy audio channels, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's good news that English speaking Quebec is finally able to receive it, even if it is a bit paltry at the moment, we'll just have to be a little more patient.
I would rather have all the movie channels in HD, as it is now we only have The Movie Channel, HBO and Movie Pix in HD, which is appalling imo. I blame the government backed CRTC for allowing this extremly long changeover period. We're in in the 21 century now, although you wouldn't believe it. Oh well! that's caring Canada for you, like it or lump it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts