Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
HBO to Offer a Stand-Alone HBO Streaming Service in U.S. in 2015

They should have their own app on BD Players & Smart TV's. In the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Definitely not available in Canada through a direct HBO subscription. Bell owns the Canadian rights to virtually all HBO programming through HBO Canada and CraveTV.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Definitely not available in Canada through a direct HBO subscription. Bell owns the Canadian rights to virtually all HBO programming through HBO Canada and CraveTV.
hold on things might change with the crtc announcement about exclusivity and widespreaded services trough internet this week

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Don't confuse genre protection and copyright. Copyright and contract law will still apply. It will take an act of parliament to reverse those and the government almost certainly will not enact such a controversial measure. If HBO has sold exclusive programming rights to Bell, HBO must honor that agreement. Once a corporate entity like Bell obtains the Canadian rights to a work, international copyright agreements also come into play. The CRTC only has jurisdiction over the manner in which broadcasters deliver content within Canada, not over the laws that protect that content.

·
Super Moderator
16,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ExDilbert, that's a good point. If exclusive content was allowed under the old regulations that CraveTV is operating under, then that contract would still be valid.

I searched the CRTC site for the final resolution of a similar situation where Bell Mobility had exclusive NHL and NFL rights in Canada. The end result was that Bell could continue its NFL exclusivity until the contract expired. It sounds like the NHL contract had expired and the CRTC wouldn't allow Bell to renew it under the new rules.

Reference: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/lb120229.htm

If that's the case and the CRTC rules prohibit exclusive content unless the SVOD service is available to anyone without a link to a specific BDU or internet subscription, then the new rules would only apply to new contracts and contract renewals. In that situation, Bell could renew the HBO contract when it expires, but it wouldn't be exclusive.

HBO in the U.S., may decide it's more lucrative for them to license the Canadian rights rather then try to run their own service here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Corus and Bell signed a multi-year deal with HBO last September. At a minimum, that deal would have to expire before HBO could offer anything in Canada.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
The issue is not as much that broadcasters acquire exclusive rights to programming as how it is distributed. Obtaining exclusive rights is how broadcasters differentiate themselves and is normal business practice. The issue is how services that obtain exclusive rights are sold. For example, it's OK for CraveTV to obtain exclusive rights to HBO programming. What's not OK is for Bell to say you must purchase our TV service, our internet service or our phone service in order to watch it. Just as HBO Canada must be made available to all BDUs (and by extension all Canadians,) exclusive HBO content on CraveTV must also be made available to all BDUs, ISPs or wireless data carriers in the same manner Bell uses to distribute CraveTV on its own services. Canada is very close to a market where companies that deliver landline and wireless data services are treated as common carriers, and rightly so. Data services are becoming essential to conducting business transactions at both the personal and professional levels.

·
Super Moderator
16,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cablevision and HBO announced today that they have reached an agreement to offer standalone streaming service HBO NOW to Optimum Online customers via the internet. Optimum is the first cable provider to partner with HBO to offer the new service.

Cablevision plans to provide pricing and other particulars for HBO NOW in the coming weeks. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Note: I'm including this press release here to show how HBO is bundling it's standalone streaming service with cable providers in addition to offering it to the general public. Presumably, Cablevision internet customers would get it for a lower price than the general offering.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I'm surprised we haven't seen more fallout from this announcement. Cable TV companies don't like to see broadcasters cutting out the middleman. It affects cable TV profits and encourages cord cutting. Not signing an agreement for the new service with HBO is about all they can do without incurring the wrath of the FCC. Not sure what would happen if the tried to drop HBO from cable TV. I'm sure Google would love to step into the fray with an expanded fibre internet rollout though.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
It would be nice if HBO had opted to sign licensing distribution agreements with companies that would offer similar OTT services in their respective countries. Signing agreements with robber barons like Bell and BCE sends the wrong message to potential HBO programming customers outside the US.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I do not think that this is going to happen in Canada any time soon.
How about using service like unblockus or unitolly, is anybody having luck getting HBO Now using these services.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The only true way out of this situation is when we stop caring about HBO and similar.

People only care about the serials and not the movies on HBO. And over time more and more of the better quality serials will be picked up by the next generation "services" like Netfix instead of cable channels.

Procedurals will stay on networks. But the truth is that except for a select few on CBS the network procedurals are so 1990's. All the rage these days are for the cable serials and my belief is that their on the cusp of their death spiral.

We don't care about Zenith or RCA TVs anymore or play on Atari or Sagas.

So as soon as we stop caring about HBO the sooner we'll get the content easily, affordabily, and legally.

Sure I'd like to get HBO now but without it I still have plenty of great serials to watch. If everyone felt the same we'd be out of this inequality sooner. In fact take away just two of their shows such as GoT and True Detective and the number of people wanting it would probably cut in half.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The thing is that HBO (the real one) has a radically different business model from every Canadian media conglomerate. They spend money to make their own shows that people want to watch. In a just world that would be a winning formula that deserves to be rewarded.

In the real world, scum like Bell use their monopolies and vertical integration to lock out competition, buy up content, and buy laws/regulations to keep the current regime going as long as possible. I hope things will change soon, but I doubt it will be soon.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
We will never see a standalone, OTT HBO service as long as Bell owns TMN and HBO Canada. We will also never see HBO programming on OTT services like Netflix because Bell has the Canadian rights to all past HBO programming. Past HBO programming is on CraveTV which Bell also owns and CraveTV is tied to a Bell TV service subscription. Non-Bell customers have no legal access other than buying or renting the DVDs. We might have seen HBO Canada as an OTT service if Astral had not been purchased by BCE. Once again, the CRTC made an extremely bad decision by allowing BCE to purchase Astral and create even more media concentration in Canada. I suspect the Bell kept their plans for HBO programming and CraveTV from the CRTC until after the acquisition in order facilitate the approval purchase. It would fit in with Bell's past behavior in obtaining regulatory approvals. The CRTC did hint that they would not allow OTT services to be tied to a BDU subscription but they have not made any movement in that direction. Bell has suggested that they would launch legal action to fight such a move.

·
Registered
987 Posts
How about using service like unblockus or unitolly, is anybody having luck getting HBO Now using these services.
Not sure about HBO Now, but unblockus works great with Sling TV which carries HBO. I'm lucky enough to also get the complete HBO offering through a couple of US-based slingboxes I have access to. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
HBO NOW

we are an old couple who would like to try HBO NOW but we have no apple products -- we are using unblock us but it will not let us sign up.
Our son has apple products and I was wondering if he downloaded unblock us - registered with an apple account - used my name and credit card # and advised me of the password etc. that they give him -- would it worki

Thanks and regards

21 - 40 of 43 Posts