Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many recent discussions around Canadian ISPs reducing the bandwidth allotment in their service plans, speculation about Netflix, etc.

I know many people who have been asked to tone down their bandwidth use by their ISP which threatens to charge a fee for excessive bandwidth use. I don't personally know anyone who has actually paid extra money to their ISP for their video streaming or P2P use.

I'd like to do some informal data collection on this topic. Have you been charged for excessive bandwidth? If so, could you answer these questions:

1. How much bandwidth did you end up using and what was your cap?

2. How many warnings were you given by your ISP before you ended up paying a bandwidth overage charge?

3. How much did you end up paying for the extra bandwidth, and how much is your normal monthly bill for internet service.

Oh, and this is for bandwidth overage charges on wired internet plans. I know there are many horror stories out there about data use on wireless plans.

Thanks in advance for satisfying my personal curiosity! ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
Videotron (2010). I went over by 2.46GB (30GB plan was $62 + tax). It cost me another $19.09 + tax. I was not happy. I normally track my usage but I was unaware that my usage did not correlate to a calendar month but to a 30 day period instead. The only found out when I got my bill. I could have logged on and checked it though.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Several years ago, about 2002 when Bell first introduced 5GB caps, yes five GB, I went over by about 2GB due to music streaming. They also lied to me a about a rate increase from $40 to $45. That's when I left, tried a couple of other services that worked poorly, and ended up at Teksavvy. Been there ever since.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Up until last year cap was 10gigs per month. I always ran about 15 gigs total. Once 18 gigs (8 gigs over cap)

2. How many warnings were you given by your ISP before you ended up paying a bandwidth overage charge?
No warning since they always had a cap from day one.

3. How much did you end up paying for the extra bandwidth, and how much is your normal monthly bill for internet service.
Was about $55/month for the 10 gigs. $10 per gig for overage.

Now I pay $83/month for 60 gigs.

Now you see why I chuckle when you guys complain about your costs, caps and usage.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Now I pay $83/month for 60 gigs.

Now you see why I chuckle when you guys complain about your costs, caps and usage.
Wow, internet is expensive down east. I only pay about $39 with Shaw, and I get 100gb/month. I'm not sure if I have gone over, I must have been really close to my cap. I probably download close to 80gb/month, and now with my Netflix usage. I have to start monitoring it

·
Registered
833 Posts
Several years ago, about 2002 when Bell first introduced 5GB caps, yes five GB, I went over by about 2GB due to music streaming. They also lied to me a about a rate increase from $40 to $45. That's when I left, tried a couple of other services that worked poorly, and ended up at Teksavvy. Been there ever since.
I went through almost the exact same scenario. My first bill after they introduced the cap was an extra 20 or 30 dollars so I canceled and ended up moving to a small ISP called Interlynx. They eventually got bought by Primus and I've been with them up until now but won't be for much longer due to the new Primus UBB rates. I'm now moving to TekSavvy cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rogers

I've gone over a few times with P2P usage, but only when I've been very greedy in one month. Also, if you are a P2P user who's considerate to your peers, you can spend a lot of bandwidth uploading.

My cap is 95GB, I've only gone over by < 5GB

Rogers gives you a warning at 75% of your cap (it comes up in your web browser) and then again if you reach 100%

I think my overage charge is about $1.50 per GB. My monthly bill is around $60. The max they will charge is $50 extra for overage.

I have noticed that Netflix really eats up the bandwidth if you watch a lot. Especially if you stream in HD. I think the ISP's are lowering their caps now in response. It's too bad, from a technology point of view you'd expect the caps to be getting higher as end users adopt new high consumption services, but the ISP's want to protect their media revenues.

I think my 95GB cap is a "grandfathered" limit...now I think the same Extreme package only comes with a 75 or 80GB cap.

I monitor my bandwidth using Roger's website to avoid these charges and adjust my usage accordingly.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm with Shaw, I can say for sure I've been way over, and never been charged,

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I had a glitch with an avast antivirus update and it looks like it reloaded the database to the tune of 45GB until I discovered what was acting up and uninstalled it. This pointed out to me though that my cap had gone from 60GB to 75 GB with my ISP.:p
I pay under $30 for 75 GB and 5MB download.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rogers Overage Charges

I was with Rogers Hi-Speed Internet as soon as it became available in my area of Toronto. I bought the modem as I was offered a deal. Some years later a cap was announced, 95GB I believe. Sometime after that the charges began and I regularly was billed the then max of $25.00. In 2010 the cost for overage increased to double or $50.00 max. I began to get billed this extra amount each month. Believe me it wasnt long before I changed my Internet provider.

As a matter of interest. On one occasion I was extra billed and I knew I had not used the internet much at all that particular month. I logged into my account and discovered that I was correct. My download traffic was less than half my limit. Turned out there was a separate, and never mentioned, limit on upload traffic around 10% of download and I had exceed that limit. So event tho both download and upload added together were less than my limit I was still billed the same $25.00 overage.

When I canceled my service Rogers were interested enough to ask why I was canceling after all the years I had been a customer. I simply told them I was tired of being robbed each month.

·
Banned
24 Posts
I went over my 60GB cap with Bell only once, and that was two years ago. At the time, their usage meter had a 72 hour delay, and their 'customer log-in' webpage was often 'not available at this time'. I only went over, I believe, about 8GB @ $1.50/GB.
They issued absolutely zero warnings, nor do they issue warnings now. I've been averaging about 50-55GB per month for many months on end, and haven't heard a peep from Bell.
The closest I came to 60GB without going over, was 58.75 GB. That was three months ago during my Netflix 'free trial' (my 8 year old discovered Rocky and Bulwinkle, and gorged himself on that classic dry wit..)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
We have Rogers High-Speed Express. Approx $50/month for 60 gigs.

We are always running up against the limit. Neflix, streaming -- lately Al-Jazeera English. And we find ourselves "going easy" on the internet usage in the days approaching the end of our billing cycle. It kind of makes me feel guilty for over-consuming all of the available products that Rogers encourages us to use!

We have gone over several times. I believe $2/gig. Very frustrating.

We will be switching to Teksavvy soon regardless of whether there is UBB or not.

Last year got rid of cable (went OTA), land line (MagicJack), and moved over to Wind Mobile. Soon we will move our internet over to Teksavvy (approx $45/month).

Our family's "media/communication" expenses will go from approx $350/month down to $140.

·
Registered
360 Posts
We are with Rogers, on the 95 Gb plan. The last billing period we hit 140 Gb usage.

at 75% and 100% via the browser

Our plan is $59/month and we had $50 tacked on for overage fees.

The 140 Gb was all legal streaming, no torrents. We cut our cable and tried living totally online for entertainment during the is period. Looking forward to switching to TekSavvy once they get their cable access up and running in my area later this month.

Rogers won't let us move up to the next plan w/o a new modem rental/purchase and even then we'd still get hit with overage fees if the coming months mirror this last one. So, we'll take the UBB fees until the move to TekSavvy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bad Business

Yes I did, I downloaded a MMO and busted my cap by 2GB. Rogers charged me and extra $8 and that is the day I started looking for another ISP.

Rogers lost my long term business after being with them for 10 years for an $8 charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts