Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Hauppauge HD PVR when it went on sale.

I purchased for several reasons:

First, I'd like to save some HD shows for posterity sake (I've lost over 150 hours of recordings using the Bell External drive so I'm not enamoured with it)

Second, and more importantly I want to turn the files into something that I can stream to my iPad using Air Video Server. The whole family likes to watch shows on the iPad while working out on our elliptical trainer. Watching TV makes working out a lot easier!

Anyway, I tried it out last night and successfully recorded an hour of high def video.

So my Questions which overlap:

1. So now I have a 4.2GB .ts file. What should I do?
2. Should I convert to XVID? Should I leave it as a .ts file and use AirVideo to create an iPad friendly version?
3.The .ts file plays back fine on the computer that I have the Arcsoft software on but on other computers the voice is missing? Clearly I am missing a codec, but which one? Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have been using .ts files from my ota recording and I use Videoredo to edit out commercials and what nice if there is a hick up in the file it has a real ability to correct the area and keep all in sync. With the ipod and others they are woking on the formats for many devices and it is very fast. Even though the ts files are larger it keeps all of the files extras intacted extra audio and I believe subtitles that is why I keep the file in that format. My Easy HDTV Dvr saves in dvr ms format and for easy of playing on other devies ( WDTV Live) I use the Quickfix feature to scan and fix and convert to .ts. My Wintv 7 saves in .ts. The program is worth a look even as a addition to anything you may be using now.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The HD-PVR produces h.264 TS files. H.264 codecs (at least good ones that work with the HD-PVR) can be a problem to find. Win7 includes an h.264 codec. Not sure how well it works. I use CoreAVC, a version of which is included in a codec pack called Codec 8.3 (available on free-codecs_com.) That also includes CoreAAC and Haali Media Splitter which are required for AAC sound and container handling. AC3 is also included which is a very good AC3 audio codec. It will be necessary to enable S/PDIF in AC3 for digital playback.

I leave the files as .ts format. Hauppauge supplies a utility for converting the files from TS tp MPEG4. I believe the recently released driver on the Hauppauge site also supports PS3 format.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts