Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recording using the Hauppauge HD PVR. It's worked in the past but now the files have no voices. they have music in the background, just no voice.

Any thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I said there was sound.

It would appear that when the .ts files are converted to .m4v files using air video that the voices are there so the original encode seems okay, just the playback is a problem.

Am I just missing a codec and, if so, which one?

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Flip your audio decoder over to stereo or Pro Logic to see if the center audio is there and just encoded in the wrong channel or your system is set incorrectly.

Oops PC. For AC3 playback you do need a codec. I use this one. http://ac3filter.net/

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sounds like the DD5.1 center channel is missing. This often happens when DD5.1 is improperly converted to stereo. It's probably getting lost either in the transcoding or playback. I would check the audio settings in both the transcoder and codec to make sure that any mixing or conversion is turned off and that S/PDIF and DD5.1 pass through are enabled. AC3Filter is pretty easy to setup for this. It's also quite likely that a different audio codec is being loaded for .m4v files (vs .ts) and it is improperly configured. That may require selection of a different audio codec in the media player.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hugh

Which software are you using to play back your recordings?
Mplayer might help to track down what is happening.
Code:
mplayer -identify myfile.ts
mplayer -identify myfile.mkv
If you are running windows I believe its called Gmplayer. Run the same command in a cmd window without using the GUI. If you want to post the output maybe I can help. This tool will show you if your recording process is down-coding from the original DD5.1 .

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the DD5.1 center channel is missing.
I think that is the issue. Thanks for the feedback, I will investigate with what you guys have mentioned.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A utility called GPpot is also useful for identifying codecs required by files and what codecs are available and missing on the system. A program called GraphStudio is good for seeing multimedia graphs in real time but it doesn't appear to work on Win7, just XP. I find that nine times out of 10, the problem is with playback processing, usually a missing or misconfigured codec. The problem is finding out what is being used or is missing. Players like Mplayer and Media Player Classic Home Cinema have done a very good job of supplying and configuring codecs for playback. They are a good way of seeing if the file is Ok or for playback until a troublesome player can be fixed. Media Player Classic Home Cinema has a separate codec package available for download but the must be installed and configured manually. RadLight Filter Manager can help with that but it still tends to be a bit of a black art to most people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts