Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Hauppauge HD PVR for a couple of years and use it it solely to just capture satellite recordings to watch on my laptop. I then view the recordings on Windows Media Center. I have been extremely happy with the results.
I am now looking at taking the plunge on buying an Ipad and would like to now watch the recordings on it. Would appreciate if someone could please let me know the best way of converting the files to something that would be compatible with the Ipad. Also I am curious how much space a 2 hour movie would take on the Ipad as this would have an impact on which Ipad I will buy.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Pete

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Lots of threads discussing around here so please search.

Best bets would be Air Video. It does a great job streaming to an iPad or converting files.

Next up is Handbrake.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you were to use BeyondTV to perform the recording, it can automatically convert it to an iPhone compatible version, so you could either use that or maybe boost the settings for an iPad version.

With SageTV, I'm pretty sure it can also generate an iPhone compatible version. Or alternatively, you could use the web server for mobile V2 plugin or a native app to stream the video...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use Remote Potato that runs on my Win 7 Media Center box. It shows and plays movies, TV recordings, photo, and music from my PC on the iPod/iPad app, It is a streamer. I only have an iPod, but I believe it works on the iPad. It is nice using this pool side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I experimented with several apps and have settled on Airvideo. Quickest conversion, steadiest playback. Tried Zumocast (seemed buggy), Handbrake (bit cumbersome for my needs but a good app).

You'll love the iPad for watching video. I thought the screen size would limit my video usage, but I was really surprised how appealing mobile video has been

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the information. I was able to use Handbrake and transferred it over to my new IPad 2. Worked like a charm.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hauppauge PVR 1512 record for IPad

Looking for the best solution to record from Hauppauge 1512, edit out commercials, and then transfer (not stream) to IPad2. I recorded a number of shows with the included ShowBiz (included older version; eg- kids cartoons recorded as 720x480; 29 frame/sec) in MP4 format and then edited out sections with 'Free Video Dub'. Although the edited MP4s play fine, they can't be transferred to iTunes due to format incompatibilities. Once converted very slowly to an mp4 ipad compatible fomat through a program such as Brorsoft video converter (768x576; 30 frame/sec), it transferred and played fine.

I would very much like a way to record, edit, and transfer to iPad, both low and HD, programs directly from the pvr without having to perform a subsequent conversion. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You can try other media players on the iPad like Cinexplayer.

I use SageTV as a PC based PVR. For shows that I want to archive, and possibly transfer to an iDevice, I automatically convert to mp4 with Handbrake CLI. But I don't bother editing out commercials - the recordings are generally kids shows that don't have commercials.

But when I do edit I use VideoReDo.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I use MCEBuddy for this. It was designed primarily for use with Windows Media Center (free PVR in Windows 7), but can also convert other file types.

Takes care of all the heavy lifting, including adding iTunes-compatible metadata like cover art, season tagging, and show descriptions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts