Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hauppange Colossus & Rogers cable box Cisco 4642HD codeset …

I have a Hauppauge Colossus card and am trying to control a Rogers cable box via IR blaster and Blaster config without any success. I have tried all codesets and the “learning” function of blaster config also does not work.

Originally I had a Scientific Atlanta 4250HD and since I was 100% sure the location of the IR blaster and it still didn’t work I had it replaced by Rogers for a newer cable box (Cisco Explorer 4642HD) but am having the same problem. When I had the cable box replaced they didn’t change the remote so the signals and codeset are probably the same between the two Rogers cable boxes.

I tried to call Hauppange support but they were no help.

Does anyone know what the proper codset is for the Rogers cable box Cisco 4642 or know of another way to control the cable box?

Any other recommendations or ideas?

Thank You,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will a firewire connection and using firestb work with a Cisco Explorer 4642HD?

If it does I will need to purchase a firewire card for my HTPC.

Thank You,

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Unlikely - check out this thread. You may be able to use firewire to change channels, which is somewhat useful. Note that the drivers only exist for 16 bit Windows and you may be more successful with a Mac or Linux.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Windows 7 32 bit will work fine. I'm pretty sure Wayne meant 32 bit. The only question is whether the 4642 has an active firewire port, and whether firestb includes drivers for it.

I'm currently using firestb to control a Rogers 4250 and it works very well.

Do you have another PC in the house with a firewire port you could experiment with?

If your IR blaster won't work with either box, it may be a problem with the blaster. Have you checked to make sure it's actually outputting anything at all? The integrated blaster in the Colossus is finicky and unreliable; I'd recommend you pick up a USB UIRT or a WMC blaster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the research I have done online so far it doesn’t look like firestb includes the drivers for Cisco 4642 so right now it was probably a mistake to upgrade to the 4642.

I have a laptop with a firewire connection but haven’t had any success getting firestb to work yet. I believe I should see the cable box listed in Device Manger correct? Since when I plug the firewire connection in Windows doesn’t prompt to install a new device my guess is that the firewire port is disabled on the 4642.

When I used the Huappange IR blaster I can see it blinking when using Blaster config and trying all the different codesets but nothing happens on the 4642.

I also have a USB IR blaster that Hauppange sent me when I initially contacted them but I wasn’t able to get it to work with the Blaster config program. I will probably have to try the USB IRT again and try some other software.

Thank You,

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Sorry, I did mean 32 bit. The firewire drivers for windows were originally done by Tim M. Moore but there are some later drivers located here http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/. But it doesn't like like there are drivers for the 4642.

I don't think you will see the cable box listed without the right drivers - you will likely see unknown device. If Windows doesn't at least chime when you plug into the box then I am guessing that the firewire ports are disabled. If you really want to try this you might want to try to get an older box - ask at a Rogers store or call them.

But I wouldn't count on successfully getting video out of firewire ports as that is generally very flakey. But the channel changes works very reliably and I would recommend it.

Here is another program that works to change channels but it requires working drivers:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51608&highlight=sagechanger

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you can manage with the Hauppauge pre-learned IR codes, their blaster is okay. If not, good luck because it sucks at learning new codes.

An alternative: order a Windows Media Center remote and transceiver (HP OEM) on ebay, about $25 from China. Download the IR Server Suite from the MediaPortal forum. Teach it the codes and write a script for channel changes. Examples are provided with the software.

Should work with MediaPortal, NextPVR and with Media Center if you use the Colossus Bridge for DVBLink from 1geek1tool.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought one from Canada computers and the quality is quite good so far. I'm capturing 720p of Xbox 360 gameplays to upload to Youtube. The one I had was open box so an extra 10% OFF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the response. I had to take a break from it for a bit.

I have a Antec HTPC case that comes with a remote so I will look into getting the IR server suite to work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I eventually got a 4250 cable box, installed the drivers and firestb.msi.

When I plug in the 4250 into the PC it is recognized as shown below under device manager:
-Imaging devices
- Scientific Atlanta AV/C Panel Device (Explorer 4250HD)
- Scientific Atlanta AV/C Tuner Device (Explorer 4250HD)
- Unknown IEEE 1394\5068 Device
- Unknown IEEE 1394\989 Device

But I am unable to change the channel using channel.exe. Below is the output:
Any ideas?

C:\Program Files\Timmmoore\MCE 2005 STB Controller>channel -v
Firewire STB channel changer V1.0.15, by timmmoore
1 "FireBus MPEG2TS Tuner Subunit Device"
'Scientific-Atlanta AV/C Tuner Device'
"@device:pnp:\\?\avc#scientific-atlanta__inc.&explorer(r)_4300&typ_5&id_0#daca2c
3a2200#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global" 0
2 "AVC Panel Device"
'Scientific-Atlanta AV/C Panel Device'

UniqueID 'daca2c3a2200'
VendorID '223a'
ModelID '10cc'
VendorText 'Scientific-Atlanta Inc.'
ModelText 'Explorer(R) 4300'
"@device:pnp:\\?\avc#scientific-atlanta__inc.&explorer(r)_4300&typ_9&id_0#daca2c
Calling CoUninitialize
Called CoUninitialize

C:\Program Files\Timmmoore\MCE 2005 STB Controller>channel -v 2 30
Firewire STB channel changer V1.0.15, by timmmoore
Device 2 Channel 30 Timeout 100 Dec 0
1 "FireBus MPEG2TS Tuner Subunit Device"
'Scientific-Atlanta AV/C Tuner Device'
"@device:pnp:\\?\avc#scientific-atlanta__inc.&explorer(r)_4300&typ_5&id_0#daca2c
2 "AVC Panel Device"
'Scientific-Atlanta AV/C Panel Device'

UniqueID 'daca2c3a2200'
VendorID '223a'
ModelID '10cc'
VendorText 'Scientific-Atlanta Inc.'
ModelText 'Explorer(R) 4300'
"@device:pnp:\\?\avc#scientific-atlanta__inc.&explorer(r)_4300&typ_9&id_0#daca2c
This device is not supported, if you are sure then add the -f flag
Calling CoUninitialize
Called CoUninitialize

·
Registered
70 Posts
Now for my own question. I can't get the WinTV remote to work. Hauppauge even sent me a replacement remote and cable and still no joy. Has anyone had the same problem and could recommend some troubleshooting tips? (Already cleaned out the drivers and reinstalled).

·
Registered
32 Posts
IR Blaster with Expressvu 6131

I purchased a Colossus with hopes to broadcast my expressvu to multiple locations / remote locations. It works OK.

As for a PVR I'm so used to the 6131 that this setup is cumbersome and feels a bit archaic but it does work. I'm not really using it for the PVR function but I want to access my BELL PVR broadcast it with the ability to Fast Forward through commercials. Now my main issue here is the IR blaster.

1 I need to put in all the channels manually, or put in a range, which to make things simple I did 200 - 1600

now upon testing I went to the weather network which is interactive (I'm doing this remotely) now I'm stuck on the interactive channel and can't remotely turn off the receiver or exist out. More importantly I want to go into my PVR select a recording watch it and have he option of FF through commercials. The IR blaster seems limited can i do this? if I access my TV via http I only have the options of pausing or stopping. How can I achieve this?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Setup

I"m having issues getting my Colossus working.
Probably something simple with the cables. You may already know that I have many, many in back of the system!

I have a HVR-2250 up and working with OTA, but not via the STB.
Have the HTPC HDMI'd out to the TV, and audio coax'd out to the amp.

The STB is component & optical to the Colossus, and then out to the TV again with component cables & optical to the amp via the pass through port.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some STB's don't allow you to use the HDMI and component outputs at the same time. Disconnect the HDMI and see if the Colossus works.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts