Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK, I have a cisco explorer 4642HD. Still haven't tried connecting it, though. My daughter is monopolizing the tv, so I can't really do anything at this point....
One of the questions I have is the iR blaster has two devices connected to it. Why, and which one should I use?

I'il look at what the people with Rogers say...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Possibly. I was just answering Wayne's question.

In any case, I can't say it works or not, I haven't tried yet. A going to hopefully tonight, my daughter has some reading to do, which means tv is mine.... :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have tried and tried, but still can't get the correct code for the videotron box with the colossus. Can't say if it's the colossus's fault or mine, but I am pretty fed up at this point....

The autosearch feature is a waste of time, it turns around and around, always going back to the same things to try. And trying all codes is an exercise in patience, which I am short of these days.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You should be able to teach the Colossus the codes from the original remote. At least that's how the HD PVR and other similar devices work. It may be worthwhile doing an internet search as well. I've found codes that other people programmed that way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK, a little more on my experience with Colossus.

Got the iR blaster to work. I can easily change channels from the htpc and record from it. The problem was easy so slve once I understood its source: I had not understood how much of a short-range their gadget was. I was putting it near the ir detector. What was needed was to glue it directly over it, vertically. Well, the first time I tried, it fell down in 5 minutes. So I had glued it on with fun tack. IR was not passing through.

Once I found a warning on the very short rang of this gadget on the web, I put the ir thing directly at the right position, and used fun-tack AROUND it to old it in place. SO now this works fine, but looks horrible.:p

And the software really sucks. Problem is, Window media center does not recognize the Colossus card ( checked on other web sites: this is a known problem). And of coursse this is what I was planningto use...

Media portal has a fix, but I haven't tried it yet. And Sage is supposed to work, but I don't, want a paying solution right now.

As it is, I have to program anything I want to record at most three hours before record time ( can be another day: I can program a 11 oclock show for tomorrow, but I have to program it between 9 and 12....) Unless I am not doing something right... I'll get it tested by my daughter ( she's 17, if she can't how am I supposed to be able to?)

So basically, in a few weeks, once I have ironed out all the interface problems, this will be a great card. Right now, i'ts more of a great pain in the ....

Hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one in a x1 slot and one in a x16 slot on and Acer dual core and they both work. I installed and the computer recognized both of them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
are there any negatives for running it on a x16 slot? i'm thinking about doing the same as my htpc has much more room near a x16 slot than trying to force it into a x1 slot.

thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
yes, i have an asus p5q-e board, it appears that the black x16 slots should be able to accept a x1 card like the colossus whereas the blue x16 slot is dedicated for video card only. hopefully i can give it a shot shortly.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've put a 1x tuner card in a 16x video slot and it worked. Doesn't matter if the slot is black, blue, orange, pink or purple (and some are ;)), it's still a PCIe slot. That was on an mATX board with on board video. OTOH, you still need a video card on most ATX boards.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
My old external Hauppauge HD-PVR died over the weekend, so I've ordered a Colossus to replace it. I'll be using it with a Rogers SA4250, so I'll have to use component since Rogers uses HDCP, but that's no big deal.

I use Windows 7 Media Center, so I'm hoping the beta drivers work at least as well as the external HD-PVR drivers. I'm a little hopeful that I'll see a moderate improvement in the 5-6 second channel change time I was getting before. I use firewire for channel changes, so I thankfully don't have to worry about the IR blaster.

I like the idea of the Colossus because it will eliminate one of the external boxes in my setup, and I feel like an internal card is almost certain to be more stable and the external box. I'll post again when I've installed it and update on how well it works.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Installed it today and it seems to be working beautifully. Setup was a breeze, especially since I didn't have to deal with the IR blaster. I just installed the Hauppauge WMC application, told it which inputs I was using and the path and arguments for firestb, and it was ready to go. TV setup in WMC picked it up as a digital cable tuner and set up the guide perfectly.

Channel changes still aren't as fast as my SD digital cable, but they're faster than the external HD-PVR was, taking about 3-4 seconds, and it seems stable. All in all I'm very happy, it seems like a simple and stable HD cable solution for WMC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I am back reporting a bit of my experience with the Colossus.

It works absolutely great in my new HTPC, beautiful image, no stutter or anything. Great recording.

But... Would you believe I am still stuck with the Colossus limited software? I installed Media Portal, great software, but there are remaining bugs with the sound with Colossus. And the version I have is unstable, once in a while it crashes ( probably some other software interfering, but I have no clue which one). So L've put this on ice for the summer, I am enjoying the outdoors, and will go back to this in fall.

I haven't given up, but was considering trying Sage out. Not fast enough, they closed down.

So I don't have a real working solution, and now I don't even have a valid alternative. Sucks.

21 - 40 of 129 Posts