Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to upgrade my HTPC last week in preparation for the fall TV season onslaught. Based on good reviews here, I picked up a Hauppauge HVR-2250. In Milton, I'm on the fringe for Buffalo and had hoped newer chipsets might help with reception of some of the weaker channels, WUTV being one of my most difficult channels after the sun goes down.

I was surprised after setting things up that some of the Buffalo channels got significantly *WORSE* with the 2250. Specifically, WGRZ which I get 95% of the time on my HDHomerun, barely comes in on the 2250. Running a scan on the HDHomerun and the 2250 at the same time, it's clear that the HDHomerun brings that particular channel in much better.

So now I'm curious... are other people having troubles with the 2250 and WGRZ, do I maybe have a bad card, or is something else going wrong?

Anyone care to speculate or share your experiences with the 2250 in the GTA?

Pete

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 2250 has two digital tuners and two analog tuners. On the digital side (and on the analog side) the signal is split internally to go to the separate digital tuners (or analog tuners). The signal is therefore halved. You will need to improve the signal strength to your tuner by using a preamp or distribution amp of some kind. Preferably a preamp as near the antenna as possible.

If you split original signal to go to both 2250 inputs then you may only be getting one quarter of the signal to each tuner inside the 2250.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's actually in the exact same slot and using the exact same single coax as an old VBox 164e, which also internally split the signal and had no issues with WGRZ.

Hmmm... so far I'm hearing that it's just me. Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And today I'm getting 5 bars on the HVR-2250. I'll chalk this one up to intermittent weirdness.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have two 2250's in my MP server. The 2250's are very sensitive to overload it seems. My cable coming in from my antenna/amp, is split 3ways. One goes to a TV, and each of the others goes to a 2250. Each 2250 then internally splits their feeds. This should mean that the signal at each tuner is lower than the one at my TV in the basement.

There are times during the year though, where I lose channels on the MP server, but not the TV in the basement. I originally thought it was because the signals at the tuner cards were so much lower. Then I tried a 6db attenuator at the point where my cable enters the house (before the first split) one night, while the problem was occuring. All channels then came in on the tuner cards as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts