Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Harmony remotes not have very strong IR output as a rule, or is anyone familiar with the H300 and it's IR strength? Let me explain my predicament.

I use my Bell 9200 on 2 seperate HDTV's using HDMI and Component outputs. For the second TV I have been using an old RCA All in One learning remote and an IR repeater device that fits into the AA battery compartment. My 9200 has become very quirky lately so the UHF no longer works. The RCA remote buttons are giving out so I looked for a basic all-in-one (must use AA batteries) and came across the Harmony H300 for $40. I got everything set up and all components work ok except it will not work with my IR repeater. I tried it straight on with 9200 front panel and it works, so i know it has properly downloaded the 9200 codes. I put the batteries back in the RCA and works fine. Changed batteries around, new and old, left and right etc. but no luck. It just seems to me that the Harmony doesn't output a strong enough signal to work my IR repeater. I guess I will have to return the Harmony, although I really like the simplicity and layout of it. Any thoughts out there?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
You may have the IR interference issue discussed in the following thread, especially if you have an LCD TV. A proper optimization of the TV can cure most of these issues, if the TV is the source of the issue. Note that there are other possible sources of IR interference.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

With a repeater, there may be a "signal/flash" when it's receiving an IR signal. I've often seen repeaters with this signal on all the time or flashing due to IR interference. Moving the repeater sensor away from the source of the interference can help, as outlined in the above post.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did have a look at those as possible culprits. I do have my PS3 below my 9200 in my equipment rack which may be part of the problem. My TV is plasma so not the LCD issue. I was incorrect calling my remote RCA. It is actually the Sony VL 600 which has a very strong IR output per the tests at RemoteCentral so I'm thinking that is why I have been getting fairly good response from that remote with my IR repeater. The repeater is the type that sends the IR signal via UHF and receives at the other end and outputs as IR. There are times when it gets testy and I have to wave it around to find a sweet spot whereas other times it 'just works'. I see that a local liquidator has some of these Sony remotes refurb'd for $12 so I think I will give that a try first. Advantage being that my wife won't have to deal with a new remote.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Just as an FYI, some plasmas do emit IR interference, as mentioned in the link. I recently encountered the problem with a repeater installation (hard wired) and a plasma. If you turn the plasma off, do things work properly? (I know it can be difficult to "see" without the TV on, but usually people can tell if other items are responding properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts