Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has an recent feedback on the 900 on a fairly basic setup with all but the tv in a cabinet?

Also, wondering if anyone can comment on being able to program features such as ffwd, rewind, A-B-C, list buttons on a Harmony as those are some we use on the Rogers on a regular basis?

Trying to decide if I should spend the time trying to set up given all the mixed reviews.

Thanks,

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am using a harmony 900 with a Sony 40gb Ps3, Sony KDL46VL160 LCD TV, Sony STRDG900 7.1 AVR,Xbox 360 Slim, SA 8300HD PVR (videotron)

I did not really need to do any additional programming as the harmony 900 already has the main buttons put in. for example there is already a fast forward, stop play etc... button on the remote itself.

As for buttons that are not on the 900 (like the A, B, C) they will be shown the harmony touchscreen. The buttons are images of the actual buttons, so for example the A will be shown on the touchscreen as a yellow triangle with the letter A.

I have not had any issues so far with the harmony 900 and my devices. If you have several devices placement of the RF blasters are very important as the remote includes 2 of them.

Also, in case you do not know, the ps3 will not work with the harmony unless you buy the Logitech harmony ps3 blaster for it or a IR blaster for the Ps3 (not the best choice).

Many people have put negative reviews because this remote does not have the ability to send out macros (a sequence of many commands with one button). It would be nice to have but I do not really have a need for macros at the moment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a harmony 650 but i think it is the same as the 900.

The A,B,C,D buttons in Rogers remote has colors.
A is yellow. This corresponds to the yellow in the Harmony.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
On my Harmony 659 and 680 remotes, I use the custom LCD buttons for the A-B-C and list functions. Instead of the Harmony 900 RF remote, why not get a regular Harmony remote (like the "One") and use an IR repeater/extender like the hotlink pro or Niles component system mentioned in the "RF Remote or IR Repeater" thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=117598.
Note: With an IR repeater/extender, you can still use the original OEM remotes in case your Harmony is in the shop for repair.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it's worth a try. Our existing Xantech whatever it is...is playing havoc with the plasma causing the pvr functions to skip multiple pages etc. Apparently bec of the panny plasma. I hope the 900 uses some diff technology??

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
What NickL is trying to say is that he has an "IR-spray" issue that's affecting his current IR-repeater and he's trying to find a way around the issue. I know this because I optimized his system, obviously including the TV, but his repeater is still affected (the "eye" is very close to the TV).

Nick, the Harmony has the A, B, C buttons on the LCD display and also you can map any button you like to any (unused) "hard" buttons on the Harmony remote - for example the 4 "coloured" buttons on the 900. The FF, REW are already there and List can be on the LCD or mapped.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done...and it actually works!!!

And it wasnt too bad...im kinda proud of myself!!!

Yeah yeah, lame but glad it worked out...thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts